What's new

Shaving as a hobby is not expensive

For me, shaving is an inexpensive hobby. I like getting great shaves from a vintage razor, particularly one I picked up at an antique shop or flea market for next to nothing. I like shaving with my original razor from 1973 (SuperSpeed) that still shaves great. And I love getting a BBS shave with an ultra-inexpensive razor and other gear.

A very well-functioning shaving kit can be assembled for under $10.

Having been interested in more expensive hobbies in the past and being frustrated that I couldn't "play with the big boys" financially, I'm happy to find how much joy can come from a relatively small investment in the wet shaving community!

I only JUST started in wet shaving under 2 months ago while walking an antique store looking for old coffee mugs. I found 2 Old Spice mugs and bought the more expensive of the two for $4.50, not realizing at the time that I was not holding a coffee mug.

After looking it up online and finding this site, I learned that I'd found an Old Spice American Glass Early Mug #1. I also read about the benefits of DE shaving for those with ingrown/irritation issues.

That antique store had razors as well, so when I went back the next weekend to buy the other mug (which ended up being an Early Mug #2) I also bought 3 DE razors.

After much reading and lots of cleaning/sterilization, I shaved with the K1 Slim Adjustable and was hooked on DE shaving.

I gave all my cartridge razors to my wife, and have been unable to think of anything other than scouring every local antique store in my area to liberate all things Old Spice and all things Gillette.

Below is a picture of the collection I've amassed in under 2 months exclusively shopping antique stores within a 1 hour driving distance of home.

Total spent on everything you see in the picture below is $210.

Not expensive!!

1643642351331.png

Shulton OS
American Glass
Early OS Mug #1 (no ribs inside)
Early OS Mug #2 (3 ribs inside)
Late OS Mug #3
Late OS Mug #4
Mid 70's Empty OS Aftershave bottle
'80-'92 Shulton OS Aftershave bottle (40% full)

Williams
Williams Mug Soap - Cranford address - with barcode - 1st ingredient: Sodium Tallowate
Williams Mug Soap - Cranford address - no barcode - 1st ingredient: Tallow

Razors
Slim Adjustable K1
Slim Adjustable I3
Fatboy E2
Fatboy G4
Flare Tip I3
40's Style Super Speed W1
40's Style Super Speed NDC
Super Speed Black Tip X1 (alum handle)
Tech B4 (in box with blades) - box is a little worn but the Tech looks like it's never been used!

Having been interested in more expensive hobbies in the past and being frustrated that I couldn't "play with the big boys" financially, I'm happy to find how much joy can come from a relatively small investment in the wet shaving community!

I only JUST started in wet shaving under 2 months ago while walking an antique store looking for old coffee mugs. I found 2 Old Spice mugs and bought the more expensive of the two for $4.50, not realizing at the time that I was not holding a coffee mug.

After looking it up online and finding this site, I learned that I'd found an Old Spice American Glass Early Mug #1. I also read about the benefits of DE shaving for those with ingrown/irritation issues.

That antique store had razors as well, so when I went back the next weekend to buy the other mug (which ended up being an Early Mug #2) I also bought 3 DE razors.

After much reading and lots of cleaning/sterilization, I shaved with the K1 Slim Adjustable and was hooked on DE shaving.

I gave all my cartridge razors to my wife, and have been unable to think of anything other than scouring every local antique store in my area to liberate all things Old Spice and all things Gillette.

Below is a picture of the collection I've amassed in under 2 months exclusively shopping antique stores within a 1 hour driving distance of home.

Total spent on everything you see in the picture below is $210.

Not expensive!!

View attachment 1402486

Shulton OS
American Glass
Early OS Mug #1 (no ribs inside)
Early OS Mug #2 (3 ribs inside)
Late OS Mug #3
Late OS Mug #4
Mid 70's Empty OS Aftershave bottle
'80-'92 Shulton OS Aftershave bottle (40% full)

Williams
Williams Mug Soap - Cranford address - with barcode - 1st ingredient: Sodium Tallowate
Williams Mug Soap - Cranford address - no barcode - 1st ingredient: Tallow

Razors
Slim Adjustable K1
Slim Adjustable I3
Fatboy E2
Fatboy G4
Flare Tip I3
40's Style Super Speed W1
40's Style Super Speed NDC
Super Speed Black Tip X1 (alum handle)
Tech B4 (in box with blades) - box is a little worn but the Tech looks like it's never been used!
I must say you have a very nice line up

I rarely buy an expensive razor, I think the most I paid was $80 for my Weber PH, otherwise I get vintage razors from lawn/garage sales, thrift stores, averaging $3 to $10, soaps are not expensive, Arko stick bowl pressed and Kilos of Cella, Vito's. Brushes I like Boar and 1 hoarse hair. Blades are Astra blades by the 100 are cheap, pre-shave is water and aftershave I always get for Christmas and birthdays, Lucky Tiger and Clubman Bay Rum.
Compared to many other hobbies, like my old love of fast cars, shaving hobby is cheap.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’m just glad this is a hobby that can be enjoyed by people from every corner of the world, and from every financial strata. You can get great results with a $10 investment, or spend thousands if that’s what suits you.

Top Bottom