What's new

Shaving and endorphins

I may be a little nuts, but I think I figured out why I feel so relaxed after a shave. The focus it takes to shave properly, mixed with the cool burn of a strong menthol aftershave must release endorphins.

Not unlike how you feel after a hot sauce burn.

Or am I just crazy?

I may be a little nuts, but I think I figured out why I feel so relaxed after a shave. The focus it takes to shave properly, mixed with the cool burn of a strong menthol aftershave must release endorphins.

Not unlike how you feel after a hot sauce burn.

Or am I just crazy?

Typically, endorphins are released after about 20 minutes of physical exercise. In my opinion, it's more likely you are feeling a serotonin release. However, I wouldn't put it past an aftershave company to include a fragrance or a hormone that is absorbed through the skin that causes endorphins to be released.

You may be on to something! Clearly certain activities involving intense physical or mental/emotional levels do lead to the production of endorphins. The focus required for the perfect yet painless shave ranks right up there with a multitude of thrill seeker endeavors!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like it. A lot.

Let’s not be so quick to rule out crazy.

1572043975502.png

Some things are worth celebrating.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There are a number of neurochemical benefits possible from SR shaving and safety razor shaving. I'd put my money on serotonin or dopamine but an argument could be made for oxytocin although I could also argue that argument would be crazy.

If it feels good you can bet it's neurochemical mediated at some level.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'd say shaving has a substantial overlap with common meditation techniques. You put yourself in a calm, controlled environment (den) and without rushing, you focus on a well-practiced movement pattern that requires heightened awareness of your physical state (how much pressure are you using? how does the blade feel on your face) to the temporary exclusion of everything else. Call it moving zen, mindfulness or whatever you want, but it's reasonable to expect that shaving should deliver at least some of the effects of a short meditation session, including the associated changes in body/brain chemistry.

Task focus and the reward from successful completion are more dopamine mediated events.

It depends. Completing part of a long-term project stimulates serotonin release. For instance, 3017'ing a puck of Williams. Think of serotonin as contentment. A person who tries a new soap and loves it will likely get a shot of dopamine. If they hate it, they will likely get a depressing shot of cortisone. The authoritative book on the subject would be

It is not about shaving, but it will explain how the various shaving addictions develop.

I'd say shaving has a substantial overlap with common meditation techniques. You put yourself in a calm, controlled environment (den) and without rushing, you focus on a well-practiced movement pattern that requires heightened awareness of your physical state (how much pressure are you using? how does the blade feel on your face) to the temporary exclusion of everything else. Call it moving zen, mindfulness or whatever you want, but it's reasonable to expect that shaving should deliver at least some of the effects of a short meditation session, including the associated changes in body/brain chemistry.

Perhaps a person could achieve a certain kind of absorbtion performing shaving. However, ideally one would seek the sort of experience that is relatively familiar and even monotonous, only requiring concentration.

Assuming one does not have particularly sensitive skin, menthol is actually beneficial and toning for the skin and hair.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+1 this, and throw in the aromatherapy element: important, and a known aid to relaxation.

It usually is a Zen meditation for me; I'm sometimes surprised to find it over and myself, shaved. "Hmm? Where was I?"

Archery, calligraphy; the Zen practitioners found repetitive action to be a doorway into a different, relaxed state of mind. Perhaps even the tea ceremony:

So there you are - or not!

AA

Kind of like Tai Chi.

I think its true that shaving is capable of enhancing your well being,. I've often thought this when lathering my face with a nice soft brush and a really nice soap. Surely this is why a lot of people enjoy visiting a spa? Lathering my face in the morning is something I really look forward to, yet when I used aerosol and a cart,it was just a chore.!

Top Bottom