What's new

Shaving Against the Grain

I prefer a SR for all my ATG shaves. I rarely do ATG passes with my DE; I also don’t chase a BBS anymore but they still happen often. I shave with enough pressure to remove the lather, the razor and blade do all the work. Happy shaves.

Face mapping has lead me to 5 different vectors (directions) per side per pass and that’s with my goatee. I also turn off the music sometimes and listen to the sweet razor feedback which keeps my vectors true. I enjoy great shaves with some blades every time, now throw in a feather or a Kai and I want to curse the person who invented white grout. Blood stains are real lol. Best of luck sir!

30+ years using electrics and I always got ingrown hairs. It would happen with both foil & rotary razors! And all my machines are top of the line for each brand/type.
Switched to DE and I never again got an ingrown hair. I've read about others with the same results.
So apparently the dermatological recommendation is very much YMMV!
Same here. An electric always caused ingrown hairs if I pressed too hard and sometimes when I didn't. I suspect the problem is that the hair is lifted and angled away from it's natural position when it enters the slots of the cutting head. Once cut the hair falls back so the cut end of the hair is prone to grow under the skin. Someone with a beard that grows straight out should have no problem but mine lies flat.

Keep your lather thick. Lots of product, less water.
That’s what I did this morning. Been using my Norelco past few days. Cut was finally healed and no longer raised. First DE shave since the cut.

Adagio Road Lemon-Verbena puck (nice subtle scent) with a Shavemac. Lots of thick lather. Rocca with an Astra blade. Did three passes. WTG, XTG, and ATG, specifically avoiding the chin (this will be the norm from now on…along with above the lip). Great shave. No nicks or weepers.

Thanks for the input, people. Much appreciated.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I guess I’m one of the lucky ones, I can go any direction on my face and neck without getting irritation (unless I get careless of course).
For the most part so can I. I'm a head shaver and I used to have a little trouble around my ears but not so much anymore.

For the most part so can I. I'm a head shaver and I used to have a little trouble around my ears but not so much anymore.
Yeah…same here. It’s never a point of irritation on the ATG. It’s about cuts on the chin and above the lip, specifically. This last one was a doozy and put an exclamation point to it. I could practice to make perfect but think those areas are best left alone on the upstroke.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My dad was an electric shaver guy. He passed away in 2007. When my mom passed away last year, my brother was going through all the stuff and uncovered over a dozen electric razors in various states of disrepair. LOL

I used to get a new electric razor every Christmas. I never enjoyed shaving with them. I always got razor burn and never got a decent shave. I ended up borrowing my mom's Schick injector or her Gillette TTO. Eventually, I started with the Trac 2 and used various Gillette multi blade cartridges for decades.

I get ingrown hairs once in a blue moon. I don't seem to notice more or less of them since I went away from Gillette cartridge shaving back in February of this year. They just happen every so often. I think I've only had one since February.

My dad was an electric shaver guy. He passed away in 2007. When my mom passed away last year, my brother was going through all the stuff and uncovered over a dozen electric razors in various states of disrepair. LOL

I used to get a new electric razor every Christmas. I never enjoyed shaving with them. I always got razor burn and never got a decent shave. I ended up borrowing my mom's Schick injector or her Gillette TTO. Eventually, I started with the Trac 2 and used various Gillette multi blade cartridges for decades.

I get ingrown hairs once in a blue moon. I don't seem to notice more or less of them since I went away from Gillette cartridge shaving back in February of this year. They just happen every so often. I think I've only had one since February.

I really thought your post was going to become a
How I Got Into Straights
post.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This morning I was rushing for an early tee time. The lather was perfection, and I tried a two pass shave, with and against. The across the grain pass between them makes for a better and closer shave for me. No mas.

Top Bottom