What's new

Shaving Against The Grain

Hello my fellow wet shavers! I'm a long time wet shaver, and I'm looking for some thoughts and opinions, and maybe some affirmation about shaving against the grain. I wouldn't go anywhere else except for those in the badger and blade community.

I enjoy shaving to get a BBS shave because I hate stubble. My beard is pretty coarse, but when I shave with the grain and then across the grain I don't get anywhere near that silky smooth feel. How many others experience this? It may sound strange but I feel like I failed if I don't shave "up." When I don't, my face is very smooth when I rub from the top down. I hope this makes sense in some way. My final question for your thoughts is this: Can shaving against the grain take its toll on the skin over time? I talk to some guys and they will never shave against the grain and are totally good with it.

Thanks for reading!

Brian

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I shave ATG every shave and have been doing so for years, even when I used cartridges. I don't think it has s negative effect on skin - not for me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have been shaving ATG for over 50 years. Those 50 years have had a toll on my skin but ATG shaving has not. Quit worrying about it. It's gonna happen whether you want it to or not.:euro:

Hi,

I have been at this for 41 years now and Shaving ATG is essential. I usually go for DFS which is obtained in two passes: WTG followed by ATG. There isn't enough need for BBS, which I can get in three passes if I toss in an XTG pass between the WTG and ATG....

But, if I go WTG and XTG for two passes, I won't get DFS, just CCS. And, one pass WTG is barely SAS. So, it is two passes WTG and ATG every day. ;)

Stan

Even with my sensitive, rosacea-riddled face, I shave against the grain. It doesn't irritate my face as long as my blade is sharp and I use plenty of lather. To me a shave just isn't complete without an ATG pass.

I used to get some irritation going ATG, but it was my own fault. It took me embarrassingly long to realize that my WTG pass was actually more XTG and I was trying to do too much at once.

TL;DR - Against is fine!

I've shaved ATG my entire 21 or 22, it's hard to rember how long some days, years of shaving. No wear for the worst on my face or neck. I do WTG first, then ATG, and finally XTG on my neck only.

I usually do not do against the grain. I will on my neck under my chin for a little extra there. On occasion if I have some extra time, I will throw in the against the grain pass. Typically I just go with and across. It gets me BBS in some areas and pretty darn close in the others. For me, the more passes I do, the higher my chance of getting irritation or burn. I am happy with the results that I get from just 2 passes. I look at it like this, a comfortable, presentable shave is the top priority. BBS is just an added bonus. I use straights, but I was the same with my DE. I did against the grain a little more often with DE though, because it is much faster and easier.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A great feel, but sometimes risky in terms of weepers. Can also lead to ingrown hairs.

YMMV, of course.

AA

Another ATG shaver who has been doing this for over 50 years. Plus, my skin looks good - even though I am not a youngster.

Hi,

I have been at this for 41 years now and Shaving ATG is essential. I usually go for DFS which is obtained in two passes: WTG followed by ATG. There isn't enough need for BBS, which I can get in three passes if I toss in an XTG pass between the WTG and ATG....

But, if I go WTG and XTG for two passes, I won't get DFS, just CCS. And, one pass WTG is barely SAS. So, it is two passes WTG and ATG every day. ;)

Stan

This! Exactly what I do.

Hi,

Stan
Thanks Stan. I usually do WTG and then ATG (two passes only). Then I will pull the lather from the brush with my hand and spot clean those trouble areas, feeling with my hand as I apply the lather. Most of the time my face feels great afterwards, but there are times when my skin feels...sore. I think those times come from me applying too much pressure on the razor.

Thanks for the input!

Well I have been shaving ATG for over 50 years. Those 50 years have had a toll on my skin but ATG shaving has not. Quit worrying about it. It's gonna happen whether you want it to or not.:euro:
Haha! Thanks! You're absolutely right.

It creates some ingrowns in a few key-spots where my hair grows very parallell to my face so I avoid it. There's nothing wrong with doing it if it works good for you though.

The traditional 3 way pass is necessary for most guys to get the smoothest shaves. I've shaved the last pass ATG since I started shaving daily in 1951. Zero problems.

I shave ATG every shave with no problems. Preparation, technique and good post shave (I use witch hazel and a good AS balm) should keep your skin tip top.

In my opinion, age and the elements take a bigger toll that shaving on your skin.

Top Bottom