What's new

Shaving Advice

I have just been put on blood thinners and was warned about bleeding from shaving.
I’m using a Gillette Tech with a Bic Chrome Platinum blade.
Will I need to make changes?
Are my wet shaving days coming to an end?

You may continue to wet shave, just be slow and careful and avoid aggressive razors.

You might also consider shaving with cool water, instead of hot water. Cool skin is more resistant to cuts, like refrigerated butter is more difficult to slice than is warm butter.

Under doctor's direction, I too have been on blood thinners (aspirin and B/P med) because of high B/P.

Sir Schnitzel52, my best wishes on your recent med advice!
FWIW, I think your Tech with platinum blade, along with careful technique, is still a good combo.
Keep in mind, I'm not a medical type!
If you want to be even more cautious, you can always move to a cartridge, such as Mach3 or Fusion.
I've had great wet shaves from those, no complaints whatsoever!

art of shaving oud ever-ready gillette fusion bourbon amber october 3 2018.jpg

You may continue to wet shave, just be slow and careful and avoid aggressive razors.

You might also consider shaving with cool water, instead of hot water. Cool skin is more resistant to cuts, like refrigerated butter is more difficult to slice than is warm butter.

Under doctor's direction, I too have been on blood thinners (aspirin and B/P med) because of high B/P.
Thanks Steve!
Good advice.
I appreciate it.
I’ve been a cold water shaver for about a year.
I have been using a very light touch and deliberate about my shave angle and getting good shaves. Technique is king.
Ed

Sir Schnitzel52, my best wishes on your recent med advice!
FWIW, I think your Tech with platinum blade, along with careful technique, is still a good combo.
Keep in mind, I'm not a medical type!
If you want to be even more cautious, you can always move to a cartridge, such as Mach3 or Fusion.
I've had great wet shaves from those, no complaints whatsoever!

View attachment 1408922
Thanks Sarmiento.
It may come to that I will see. Thanks for your concern; I am not in immediate danger.
I have a small tear in my aorta in the aortic arch.
Another CTSCAN is scheduled and a consultation with a thoracic surgeon follows.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
As @NorthernSoul said get a styptic pencil. They’re designed to stop weepers, the alum block will work but to a lesser extent. Blood thinners make it harder for your blood to clot but they don’t stop it from clotting all together. I doubt that you’ll be able to cut yourself bad enough shaving to have any issues. Be warned though, styptic pencils momentarily burn like the devil when they’re applied.

Good advice.
What about an alum block?
I’ve never used one.

nothing wrong with that either. If you get a block, wet it and smooth all edges and faces of it on your palm before first use for your comfort. I have a bigger, “deodorant stick“ sized one for about the same price and is easily to use without threat of dropping and breaking into several pieces.

As @NorthernSoul said get a styptic pencil. They’re designed to stop weepers, the alum block will work but to a lesser extent. Blood thinners make it harder for your blood to clot but they don’t stop it from clotting all together. I doubt that you’ll be able to cut yourself bad enough shaving to have any issues. Be warned though, styptic pencils momentarily burn like the devil when they’re applied.
Thanks!
I’ll order one.
I have 3017ed PAA Doppelgänger Tricolor and need to restock Haslinger.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks Sarmiento.
It may come to that I will see. Thanks for your concern; I am not in immediate danger.
I have a small tear in my aorta in the aortic arch.
Another CTSCAN is scheduled and a consultation with a thoracic surgeon follows.
Many wishes for blessings my friend. Listen to your Doctors and you will me fine. And your nurses!

First, best wishes for the future!

Some great advice above! I echo the suggestions to:
1. Avoid ‘aggressive razors.’
2. Excellent prep.
3. Take your time!

I have just been put on blood thinners and was warned about bleeding from shaving.
I’m using a Gillette Tech with a Bic Chrome Platinum blade.
Will I need to make changes?
Are my wet shaving days coming to an end?
Hello Schnitzel52 - I was put on blood thinners a couple of years ago and after one or two "weepers" that took forever to stop bleeding - I asked my doc what he shaved with. He advised an electric shaver - and that was the end of that discussion. I've been a wet shaver for 66 years - always double-edge Gillette. I have a good buddy who works for Gillette and when I explained my dilemma he presented me with a Mach Three and a few blades. I've vigorously wash my face with Dove and lots of hot water and leave it damp. I then face lather and go at it. I finish with a good facial moisturizer - Jack Black is my current favorite. My after shave balm is Acqua di Parma - incredible product. I have absolutely no complaints about the Mach Three - despite its exorbitant cost. I recommend that you give it a shot. Hope everything works out.

I prescribe blood thinners almost daily. There’s no reason to avoid sharps / knives / blades; just be mindful, which you should be regardless. Styptic pencil may come in handy if you slip; apply pressure. All bleeding eventually stops.

It seems next to impossible to cut myself with a OneBlade Core, so you might want to look there before you quit wet-shaving altogether. Although it seems to me that it depends on how much thinner is involved.

@sarir97 give good advice here.

Thanks guys!
I’m using my pre-war Tech.
I’ve only had one weeper and no real problems so far.
Bic Platinum Chrome works just fine with a light touch and mindful of my angle.
Ed

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I prescribe blood thinners almost daily. There’s no reason to avoid sharps / knives / blades; just be mindful, which you should be regardless. Styptic pencil may come in handy if you slip; apply pressure. All bleeding eventually stops.
"Eventually"....... Doc, you and I should start a comedy show and take it on the road!

I'm sure my wife will be okay with it!

Edit: I've been on Coumadin since 2006. I ran out and bought an electric that I didn't need to, lol. But I was an LPN at the time and hadn't had any real advanced heart physiology classes yet, so I listened to my discharge instructions, lol!

I rarely cut my incredibly handsome face anymore, but if I do, it's just a minor nick 99 percent of the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom