What's new

Shaving Across the Neck?

Just because I haven't posted it in awhile, my neck routine is to do:
  1. A WTG (N-S) pass using the same-side hand (right hand/right side, left hand/left side).
  2. The second pass is again WTG (N-S), but using the opposite hand (right hand/left side, left hand/right side). This seems to put the razor at a different angle than the first pass and removes a significant amount of stubble.
  3. Third pass is ATG (S-N), again using the opposite hand. This pass uses mostly scything or sweeping strokes.
Has never let me down to date.

I appreciate all of the replies! I'm getting more proficient it seems with each shave. Now if I could only get great shaves on the chin without razor burn. I'll get there...angle and light pressure.

Chris

I appreciate all of the replies! I'm getting more proficient it seems with each shave. Now if I could only get great shaves on the chin without razor burn. I'll get there...angle and light pressure.

Chris

good deal....I'm gonna stop chasing perfection shaves. the normal 1pm stubble is almost non existent right now.......plus would have less irritation that way.

no bueno.

camo

I've watched this video several times and the guy is a "Master of Art", especially when he does a slightly diagonal "fools pass".

However, I must say, that because he has a gray hair and the video is of very poor resolution, we cannot know how tick/strong his facial hair is. Maybe he's one of those folks who has a beard like a 13-year old kid... and so shaving is very easy for him.

Some people have thin, light hair and some have "copper wire"... and that makes all the difference. Remember the guy form The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? He's never gonna have a BBS no matter what :c1:

1588416209222.png

I've watched this video several times and the guy is a "Master of Art", especially when he does a slightly diagonal "fools pass".

However, I must say, that because he has a gray hair and the video is of very poor resolution, we cannot know how tick/strong his facial hair is. Maybe he's one of those folks who has a beard like a 13-year old kid... and so shaving is very easy for him.

Some people have thin, light hair and some have "copper wire"... and that makes all the difference. Remember the guy form The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? He's never gonna have a BBS no matter what :c1:

View attachment 1094824
I know what you mean! My hair is thick and dark. I can't comment on the toughness of it compared to others... Never shaved anyone else :lol:

I do need to shave ATG with a DE to reduce visibility of the hair as much as possible. XTG hybrid does a similar job with a SR interestingly enough!

Phenomenal video! I remember seeing it for the first time a couple of years ago. This is the kind of technique I aspire to have!
It's really impressive. (At one point I had convinced myself he must be a lefty until I went back and rewatched the prep.)

However, he does have a high level of facial convexity (is that a word? it is now). For those with more angular features, I think it's a case of "don't try this at home". Look, for example, at how he is able to get almost the whole chin from jawline to lip in a single E-W stroke on the 2nd pass.

It's really impressive. (At one point I had convinced myself he must be a lefty until I went back and rewatched the prep.)

However, he does have a high level of facial convexity (is that a word? it is now). For those with more angular features, I think it's a case of "don't try this at home". Look, for example, at how he is able to get almost the whole chin from jawline to lip in a single E-W stroke on the 2nd pass.
Very true!
Everyone's face is different. I've got less than 20 straight shaves under my belt in total. I've got no room to talk about technique. I can't even get a DFS!

I only posted the video because it is lauded my many as a masterclass of sorts!

I also forgot to share this video:

He does some strokes that are truly sideways/across his neck. He also only uses his right hand. Looks a competent shaver with a tough/dark beard.

I use arcing motions to get the difficult areas on my neck.

Like a windscreen wiper on a car, right?

That's what I used to do back when I shaved with a straight regularly to get those tricky neck areas cleaned up. One inch wiper passes with my hand sort of static to my upper chest for stability and using only wrist movements to perform the cutiing Sweeps. Keep the blade flatter helps make the shave more forgiving in these sensitive and easily nicked places.

And the phenomenon of the shave feeling closer an hour or so after your shave is your face hydrating and puffing up/relaxing a little bit making the hairs sink below the skin and the face feel smoother. Soaps, alum blocks and after shave can tighten the skin quite a lot so this is really normal once your face settles back down. I hear some people have a big glass of water after to help rehydrate their face!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Like a windscreen wiper on a car, right?

That's what I used to do back when I shaved with a straight regularly to get those tricky neck areas cleaned up. One inch wiper passes with my hand sort of static to my upper chest for stability and using only wrist movements to perform the cutiing Sweeps. Keep the blade flatter helps make the shave more forgiving in these sensitive and easily nicked places.

And the phenomenon of the shave feeling closer an hour or so after your shave is your face hydrating and puffing up/relaxing a little bit making the hairs sink below the skin and the face feel smoother. Soaps, alum blocks and after shave can tighten the skin quite a lot so this is really normal once your face settles back down. I hear some people have a big glass of water after to help rehydrate their face!
Yes, like a windscreen wiper while stretching your skin.

Top Bottom