What's new

Shavin Mail Call!!! I got's me my Shick Type I!

That's right! Got it in this morning. My first old-timey razor (I'm a millennial chap). Its a Hydro-Magic variety razor. I'm going to try and post pics later on. But for now I thought I would share the love. I'm going to do a shave with this after I can get this cleaned up and get a fresh blade inside. Would pouring rubbing alcohol or using bleach damage the razor? I'm new to this old-timey razor stuff.

Schick is a great razor. Please don’t use bleach. Dawn dish soap, hot water soak, gentle scrub with toothbrush. Maybe scrubbing bubbles if you have some, the no bleach kind. But a good, hot soapy bath and a bit of scrubbing will do the trick. Alcohol dip if you’re afraid of germs. Happy Shaves!!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Not sure what the handle is on an "I", but agree to avoid bleach at all cost, and depending on the handle material, only soak the metal head in alcohol....bakelite and alcohol are not a good match. I like Scrubbing Bubbles (without bleach) and/or Lysol concentrate mixed on the heavier side with warm water for a 10 minute soak. Most folks just use the dawn and toothbrush method, and that's fine; I'm kind of a clean-freak.

Don't use bleach. If you use the 70% or 91% isopropyl alcohol, try to keep it off the handle. Scrubbing bubbles works fine.

Flintstone65

There are many threads discussing how to clean razors, and Schick's specifically...here's a somewhat recent one: Injector Disinfecting?

It can be a touchy subject, but from my perspective, it's just a continuum and you decide where you need to be to feel comfortable. If it's a simple Dawn and toothbrush cleaning, that's great. If it's more, you just want to be sure you damage the razor in the process....that's where it can get complicated. I've done some stupid stuff in the name of cleanliness/disinfection, and I've paid the price with a damaged handle.

Maybe a good principle is to never put anything on a razor or a razor's handle that you wouldn't put on your bare hands

I think these disinfection extremes that many promote are excessive and unnecessary.

All gems have died weeks ago from starvation IMO. And specially what germs are we fearful of? Most germs are beneficial and necessary to the health and maintenance of the human body.

Using soap and water makes a razor probably cleaner than the dishes and table ware in your favorite restaurant that has been carried by a waitress.

When was the last time that a person got sick from using an old razor?

Do we freak out and wash our hands with industrial strength whatever every time we touch the door handle of a public building, or touch the handle on a grocery shopping cart, or handle cash money during a business transaction?

Schick is a great razor. Please don’t use bleach. Dawn dish soap, hot water soak, gentle scrub with toothbrush. Maybe scrubbing bubbles if you have some, the no bleach kind. But a good, hot soapy bath and a bit of scrubbing will do the trick. Alcohol dip if you’re afraid of germs. Happy Shaves!!
I was mainly looking to disinfect the razor. I'll probably dip it in rubbing alcohol. Thanks

Flintstone65

There are many threads discussing how to clean razors, and Schick's specifically...here's a somewhat recent one: Injector Disinfecting?

It can be a touchy subject, but from my perspective, it's just a continuum and you decide where you need to be to feel comfortable. If it's a simple Dawn and toothbrush cleaning, that's great. If it's more, you just want to be sure you damage the razor in the process....that's where it can get complicated. I've done some stupid stuff in the name of cleanliness/disinfection, and I've paid the price with a damaged handle.

Had to fix my post....should have been "If it's more, you just want to be sure you DON'T damage the razor in the process...." Kind of a big distinction. And don't tell @santamariasteve, but deep down, I think his views on this topic are healthier and much closer to reality than mine....I just don't want to admit it! :001_cool:

And for what it's worth, I think the Alcohol dip is a good strategy.

Had to fix my post....should have been "If it's more, you just want to be sure you DON'T damage the razor in the process...." Kind of a big distinction. And don't tell @santamariasteve, but deep down, I think his views on this topic are healthier and much closer to reality than mine....I just don't want to admit it! :001_cool:

And for what it's worth, I think the Alcohol dip is a good strategy.
I ran a cotton swab over the razor dipped in alcohol. I think its good.

I would boil it (the metal part only) in water for 10 minutes to kill any surviving germs and soften up any soap scum. Maybe in 1/2" or 3/4" of water in a small saucepan, because the heat may warp the plastic handle.
Merely dipping or soaking it in alcohol may not work, if it does not penetrate beyond the surface of the scum.
If it's already clean enough that you can see all the metal, then I suppose alcohol alone would do the job.

Top Bottom