What's new

Shavette with whole DE blades?

Just getting curious about shavettes and see that most use half DE blades. I'm wondering if there are any that use whole DE blades that just flip the blades around after? That would seem to be more precise than cutting blades by hand wouldn't it?

Thanks.

You don't have to cut a DE blade. You just bend it in half and it breaks very easily. You can insert one half in the razor and save the other half for later.

You don't have to cut the blades. A few manufacturers ( Derby, Shark, & feather ) make half blades designed for standard shavettes.

If Doc has any more universals get it. It is a very nice whole DE blade shavette. The Sanguine R5 is my favorite standard shavette.

Anyone know anything about the Shear Mattaki from Japan? It looks like an interesting variant on a whole DE based shavette. Only available on the Bay. Same price as a Parker.

I'm also surprised -- since people talk about these being unforgiving -- that no one has come up with one with variable blade exposure. I would think just two settings -- mild and normal would help beginners a lot and also help those who struggle to shave around the jaw.

Its not so much blade exposure but the blade itself. The corners are vicious and with a short, very straight, blade that's well sharpened just lends itself to being unforgiving. Not to mention the typical light weight causes a lot of people to try to add too much force behind it.

You don't have to cut a DE blade. You just bend it in half and it breaks very easily. You can insert one half in the razor and save the other half for later.
Yep. Fold it in half within the wrapper and it snaps nicely. No worries about the other end as its inside the razor holder.

Its not so much blade exposure but the blade itself. The corners are vicious and with a short, very straight, blade that's well sharpened just lends itself to being unforgiving. Not to mention the typical light weight causes a lot of people to try to add too much force behind it.
After the blade is loaded, I lightly rub the tip of each corner on the neck of a glass Old Spice bottle. It really helps reduce the risk of bloodshed. With hair shaper blades for the Weck, I smooth the corners with fine sandpaper.

The Universal Shavette comes to mind.

I find this to be a very comfortable shavette to use. You might try putting a WTB on the gentlemanly deals forum. I did that one day as i was starting supper and had one purchased before the spaghetti had finished cooking.

Thank you B&B enablers. You know who you are.

I found a whole DE shavette similar to the Universal on Amazon. I ordered it knowing that I could send it back if it didn't work out. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the generous and helpful comments. And yes, I plan to be very careful and just start with the sides of my face WTG only until I develop moderate confidence to do my chin and jaw. Will probably start with blades that are forgiving like Derby or Dorco.

Top Bottom