What's new

Shavette vs Straight Razor

Can someone post a feather/kai shavete side by side with a straight razor? I am curious to see the size difference between them.
IMG_2916.jpeg

Puma 6/8 vs Feather DX

I definitely want to give traditional shaving a try. I am not worried about cutting my face. There have been times I sliced a good portion of skin flapping in the breeze. I have also decided on occasion to do a last minute shave and rushed and left my self with a bunch of tiny bleeders. I stopped that though after only a short time. I prefer to take my time and the longer I take the better my shave results are.

Now I need to research even deeper to find things I can afford. Heck I have the time, it will be some time to save up the money.

Great info all...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@losing, if you are serious about trying traditional SR shaving, give this PIF serious consideration.

You have plenty of time to put together a 0.1μm pasted balsa strop.

@losing, if you are serious about trying traditional SR shaving, give this PIF serious consideration.

You have plenty of time to put together a 0.1μm pasted balsa strop.

I'm conus... The balsa strop does interest me but I think it will be awhile before I try my hands at one. It will be awhile before I can even start looking for a straight razor.

I'm conus... The balsa strop does interest me but I think it will be awhile before I try my hands at one. It will be awhile before I can even start looking for a straight razor.

Plenty of reasonably priced and shave ready straights will pop up on the Marketplace here. I'm sure that something is out there with your name on it. Good luck to you.

Every day that you put it off is a day that you will forever regret later. You won't believe that until it happens.

It's not about putting it off. It's about saving up enough money to start looking for a razor. Actually I have to find razors that fit my budget and possibly a design I like, although that is not a deal breaker.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
B
It's not about putting it off. It's about saving up enough money to start looking for a razor. Actually I have to find razors that fit my budget and possibly a design I like, although that is not a deal breaker.
Before looking for a SR, I suggest that you put together a 0.1μm pasted balsa strop. This will also perform initially as a strop for your SR.

With the pasted balsa strop put together, you can enter my PIF. Very few enter so you will have a very good chance of winning the PIF, a free shave-ready SR, including shipping. @Seelector was the last winner and was the only entry.

@losing keep an eye on the BST for a good priced shave ready straight. You’re conus so that increases your odds of finding one by a lot. PIF’s for conus users pop up from time to time as well.

Don’t feel like you need a big name expensive razor to start. It’s the edge that shaves, not the name stamped on the tang. I guarantee that while you’re shaving you won’t pay any attention to the what the razor looks like.

I can vouch that a single 0.1um (I wish I knew how to type the micron symbol on my phone, that “u” hurts my engineering brain every time) pasted balsa strop can keep a shave ready edge going strong. A linen/leather strop is nice but not required.

I’m still very new to straights, but I can tell that this community is very welcoming to everyone regardless of what their gear costs.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... I can vouch that a single 0.1um (I wish I knew how to type the micron symbol on my phone, that “u” hurts my engineering brain every time) ....
I will depend on the keyboard app that you are using. Try going to the symbols part of your keyboard, long-press the π symbol and see what options you have available. Using the Google keyboard, I have Ω, Π and μ available.

I have been using a cheapo shavette with Shark blades, and they have been serving me well. Looking on this forum has me looking into a straight razor. They have always interested me but with honing, stropping and all it just seemed like something I could never do right. Also the price was also a big concern as well.

As I scour the forums for everything straight razor, a question came to mind. How different is using a shavette compared to a straight razor? I am thinking they are similar but obviously have differences.
I’ve wet-shaved for more than 50 years, and always preferred a Shick Injector razor. I have several vintage models. I also have some vintage Gillette safety razors which I use frequently. And I use disposables in a pinch.

I bought two straights about 10 years ago and used them for two years with little success. Neither could cut through my light beard very well, even after having both made “shave ready.”

This past Father’s Day my daughter gave me a shavette with Astra blades, and damn, did it mow down my four-day beard! Much sharper than my straights. I'd like to get my straights up to readiness and try them against the shavette one-to-one, but I doubt those straights can do the job the shavette (or my safety razors) can do.

When I got interested in straight razors years ago, I did buy a shavette as I thought it would get me used to a straight. I think it did help with the angle, but when I started using a straight the size of the blade was a totally different proposition. I stopped using the shavette, so I don't think it made much of an impression with me. Though I would try one again now after using a straight to see if my technique with one has improved, and get one that uses the feather etc blades.

The difference between a SR and a shavette in terms of shaving is that the shavette is MUCH sharper (generally) and much less forgiving. This translates to the need for a lighter touch and a slightly more acute angle.

I stored my straights in a sealed plastic jar years ago. They were “shave ready” at the time. I’m assuming that they stayed that way, and consequently can be used with just stropping.

Any opinions?

I stored my straights in a sealed plastic jar years ago. They were “shave ready” at the time. I’m assuming that they stayed that way, and consequently can be used with just stropping.

Any opinions?
Probably fine. When I started straight shaving it was with my grandfather's razor that had not been touched in probably 70 years. There's really only one way to find out.

B

Before looking for a SR, I suggest that you put together a 0.1μm pasted balsa strop. This will also perform initially as a strop for your SR.

With the pasted balsa strop put together, you can enter my PIF. Very few enter so you will have a very good chance of winning the PIF, a free shave-ready SR, including shipping. @Seelector was the last winner and was the only entry.
i also wanna participate and wanna win it man

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
i also wanna participate and wanna win it man
Sorry, you are a bit late. Read this first:

If that doesn't stop you, then read this:

Top Bottom