What's new

Shavette suggestions

DSC_0567.JPG

These are two shavettes that I currently find easy to use. They are equipped with half of the DE blades, Parker SR1 and the Bluebeards Revenge. Both can hold the soft DE blades firmly, and the blades are not exposed much, which is quite forgiving. You can't go wrong with the price.
I like it the Bluebeards Revenge more, the preset angle of the blade edge is steeper and easier to use.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
So after more research into shaving my head with a shavette, it seems that most people think that the Feather SS or the Kai Luffy(?) are the best, bar none.

I've taken a bit of a dive into barber straights the last month or so. Two 1/2 DE versions (Parker SRX, Focus Slim Al) and two AC versions (Sally SS clone, Kasho Woody). I've come to the point that I'm able to get very smooth shaves from any of them, though some easier than others. I've got a Kai clone on the way like the one @Ron R showed, but in purple instead of green.

It may seem like I'm not taking much time to develop technique, and by some lights I'm not. [shrug] What I've done is to look for razors that make learning technique less uncertain, then as my technique builds in a safer-feeling way to return to others that I now find a bit more congenial because I've learned a little about what to look out for. It isn't the only way to build technique. I tend to have a somewhat low tolerance for frustration, though, and shaving is normally one of those things I do to reduce my frustration level a bit.

I think all of them are pretty good. Some may have higher build quality or better materials, but of the ones I've tried so far there's not a truly bad one in the bunch.

They are quite expensive though, and the Kai is extremely hard to find. Are there any decent generic/clones that have a similar "lip" at the blade end of the razor? Most I've seen are more like the DX and the Captains.

Yes, they are. I bought a DX for my son and I still haven't bought a single razor for myself that cost that much. I just found the Kasho Woody at a very nice supplier. (I can share the details via PM if you wish.) One shave in with that, and I can see potential but it will take a few weeks to realize it.

The "Salon Care" folding barber straight from Sally Beauty runs around $40 Canadian. One hears that the bump on the Kasho Woody is smaller than the bump on the Feather SS. Although the "Sally SS" is clearly a Feather clone by the internal construction, a side by side comparison to the Kasho doesn't look like much difference in the bumps. That's somewhat confirmed by shave angles for both of them. The new Feather "Super-Razor" supposedly has a slightly smaller bump than the SS, but again we're talking about some expense involved.

I seem to see that most of the Feather or Kai clones are bumpy, so it would come down to where you find the price that fits your wallet.

Finally, a word about blades. I don't discourage anyone from using any blade. We all use what we use for our own reasons. I wanted a fairly gentle introduction to AC blades, so started with the guarded ones (Feather ProGuard, Kai ProTouch MG). They are good blades, but for me they don't seem to work the same way in my razors as non-guarded blades. I get tempted to add pressure to make them work better, which never ends well. I've personally come to like the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink -- but offer that only as one person's recommendation. As always, you should try a diversity and keep a journal about what works for you.

O.H.

So after more research into shaving my head with a shavette, it seems that most people think that the Feather SS or the Kai Luffy(?) are the best, bar none. Both are relatively safer, while still providing an excellent, smooth shave. They are quite expensive though, and the Kai is extremely hard to find. Are there any decent generic/clones that have a similar "lip" at the blade end of the razor? Most I've seen are more like the DX and the Captains.
If you search on AliExpress you will find some. I believe they are available in multiple stores, but the first store I came across was the "Sapphoo Store". Posting different versions under long description names including what appears to be an id label of G0131, G0619, G0718, showing different finishes or scales. Again that list is not meant to be exhaustive, just a start in case you want to search more.

Are there any decent generic/clones that have a similar "lip" at the blade end of the razor?

I've got one of these. They're excellent. Very efficient and easy to use.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000332489816.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.60382fefZ13MyZ

As a rule of thumb, you should get four times as many shaves from an AC blade v DE blades. I get 4 or 5 from a DE and 20 or so from an AC. Schick Proline are one of the best: a bit more consistent than Feather blades which IMO are too sharp at first although they will settle down after a few shaves.

I've got one of these. They're excellent. Very efficient and easy to use.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000332489816.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.60382fefZ13MyZ

As a rule of thumb, you should get four times as many shaves from an AC blade v DE blades. I get 4 or 5 from a DE and 20 or so from an AC. Schick Proline are one of the best: a bit more consistent than Feather blades which IMO are too sharp at first although they will settle down after a few shaves.
Several people recommended that razor. It's what I'll probably pick up.

Reactions: abj
There seem to be a few similar models on Aliexpress. AFAIK this one, with dimples on the face of the razor, is the closest to a Feather SS.

head-1.png

I thought you wanted something that would take a half DE blade? Did you change your mind on that?
Not exactly, I actually purchased a very cheap $5 DE half blade shavette from AliEx. It won't arrive for few weeks (shorter if I'm lucky). That's just to get my feet wet really. If I'm most likely gonna hack my face and head up, I might as well not spend too much $ doing so.

The hype around the Feather DX/SS and Kai Captain/Luffy is hard to ignore though. If what is said is true with the durability of the AC blades, they would prove to be almost as cost effective as DEs, but the shave would be better. From what I've seen on AliEx, however, there are two styles of the clones. The deeper I dive into it, the more I feel that I might miss out on a better shave experience if I don't at least try an SS or DX clone.

With both types, I could compare which is the best for me. If the shaving experiences are similar, without much variance, I would just upgrade to a better DE shavette. There are a lot of good options mentioned here. If the experiences are way different, the Feather clone being better, I will probably continue with the clone until I can afford to purchase a real Feather or Kai shavette.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
AFAIK this one, with dimples on the face of the razor, is the closest to a Feather SS.

View attachment 1233524

Actually, if you compare the internal construction in the clamp, the internal spring and the external look, it's a clone of the Kai Luffy/Kasho Woody. The Feather razors and their clones don't have that, nor the vertical raised bars on the side of the shank.

Yeah, it's nitpicky rivet-counting, and further complicated by Sapphoo selling them as "Feather" razors. I have yet to see a scalloped Feather.

O.H.

For shavette-style razors, I started with a Parker SRX and then moved on to the Irving Barber Company shavette-style razor. It was like night and day. I really like the IBC. The latter can take half-DE blades, injector blades or AC blades. I found that I liked the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades the best so far. I bought mine from Maggard Razors after visiting their store in Michigan a few years ago and the owner pointed them out to me.

Irving Barber Company - https://irvingbarberco.com/

Actually, if you compare the internal construction in the clamp, the internal spring and the external look, it's a clone of the Kai Luffy/Kasho Woody. The Feather razors and their clones don't have that, nor the vertical raised bars on the side of the shank.

Yeah, it's nitpicky rivet-counting, and further complicated by Sapphoo selling them as "Feather" razors. I have yet to see a scalloped Feather.

O.H.
That's good to know. I believe you've mentioned before that the Luffy/Kasho razors were, for you, a better razor. It had a slight less bump than the SS. I've seen the non-scalloped razors also, but after asking someone from Saphoo, they said it was like the DX. My understanding is that the DX is the closest to a straight razor, but slightly more dangerous(?). For my level of shaving expertise, the Kai cl

For shavette-style razors, I started with a Parker SRX and then moved on to the Irving Barber Company shavette-style razor. It was like night and day. I really like the IBC. The latter can take half-DE blades, injector blades or AC blades. I found that I liked the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades the best so far. I bought mine from Maggard Razors after visiting their store in Michigan a few years ago and the owner pointed them out to me.

Irving Barber Company - https://irvingbarberco.com/
I was looking at the IBCs, and I think they are gorgeous. However, before I pour that kind of money into a shavette or razor, I want to be sure I like shaving in that manner. Otherwise, I just wasted a lot of money on a nice decoration or conversation piece. That's why I just ordered a cheapy. If I learn to shave well enough with it and I like shaving with a shavette, I'll then consider something with a higher price tag.

I was looking at the IBCs, and I think they are gorgeous. However, before I pour that kind of money into a shavette or razor, I want to be sure I like shaving in that manner. Otherwise, I just wasted a lot of money on a nice decoration or conversation piece. That's why I just ordered a cheapy. If I learn to shave well enough with it and I like shaving with a shavette, I'll then consider something with a higher price tag.
I totally understand. I did not enjoy shaving with half-DE blades in my Parker SRX and was not sure I wanted another shavette-style razor. But when I held the IBC in the store, I was really tempted as it had a good weight to it. I did not know if I wanted to take a chance since it was more expensive but thought that I had three different type of blades to make it work for me. I thought about it and ordered from their store a few weeks later. I still did not like the half-DE blades (too sharp/unforgiving) or injector blades (too grabby) in the IBC, but I did like the thicker AC-style blades.

Good luck with your new purchase! :001_smile

... that the Luffy/Kasho razors were, for you, a better razor. It had a slight less bump than the SS. I've seen the non-scalloped razors also, but after asking someone from Saphoo, they said it was like the DX. My understanding is that the DX is the closest to a straight razor, but slightly more dangerous(?)....
That is about right. In my experience the Feather DX & Kai Captian are the closest experience to a traditional (non-hollow) straight and the most likely to bite or cause nicks or weepers. I have tried clones from AliExpress of the Kia Luffy and Feather SS and in my opinion the SS is the most forgiving and nick avoiding of them all. I have not tried them in a head-to-head match up, but I might go as far to say that the Luffy clone is closer to the DX than the SS clone in terms of its potential to cause nicks. YMMV or your technique may cause you to reach a different opinion.

As an exclusive Shavette user, for almost a year now, this is a great thread.
A quick 2 cents for the OP.
If your previous method was DE shaving, rather than Shavettes, I'd say go for the Feather SS 'style'. e.g....the kind with the 'lip'. The reason being is that it forces (or has) a minimum angle of attack before it begins to shave; much like the combination of a safety bar and top on a Saftey razor.

If you're coming from Straight razors, go for the Feather DX or 'lip-less' style. This design allows full range, so you can hold the razor with a wide-angle, or flush to the surface of your skin....which is the one that I prefer, as I find there to be less of a 'scraping' action and more actual slicing of the hair.

Both styles can be found for MUUUUUUUCH cheaper than the Feather branded ones. As mentioned by a few people already, there are a plethora of options on Aliexpress. If the wait is too much to handle, you could go with the Sally Beauty razor, for probably double the cost, but still a heck of a lot cheaper than the authentic model. The one from Sally is in the 'SS' or 'lip' design.

There's also a place called Shears Direct, that has the ones with a Kai-like design, or 'lip-less'. Around 20 USD....shipped CONUS. Both Folding and non-folding. Fantastic razor imo....

Last, I also have an IBC.........Brilliant razor. I've quite a few people mention the cost, but consider this....
1. Is still about 1/2 or a 1/4 of the cost of the Feather version
2. Some prefer DE Shavettes, others, AC. Some, are testing the waters. The IBC uses both, and from what I can tell, it is the only one that compatible with Injector blades, as well.
3. Every single part is replaceable. Need a new screw? you can get one. Want a different color handle/scales? You can get one.
4. This one just came to mind and I'm yet to try it but......being that it uses a screw, rather than pins, I'm curious to know how it would fair as a 'non-folding'/'Kamisori' alternative....

As an exclusive Shavette user, for almost a year now, this is a great thread.
A quick 2 cents for the OP.
If your previous method was DE shaving, rather than Shavettes, I'd say go for the Feather SS 'style'. e.g....the kind with the 'lip'. The reason being is that it forces (or has) a minimum angle of attack before it begins to shave; much like the combination of a safety bar and top on a Saftey razor.

If you're coming from Straight razors, go for the Feather DX or 'lip-less' style. This design allows full range, so you can hold the razor with a wide-angle, or flush to the surface of your skin....which is the one that I prefer, as I find there to be less of a 'scraping' action and more actual slicing of the hair.

Both styles can be found for MUUUUUUUCH cheaper than the Feather branded ones. As mentioned by a few people already, there are a plethora of options on Aliexpress. If the wait is too much to handle, you could go with the Sally Beauty razor, for probably double the cost, but still a heck of a lot cheaper than the authentic model. The one from Sally is in the 'SS' or 'lip' design.

There's also a place called Shears Direct, that has the ones with a Kai-like design, or 'lip-less'. Around 20 USD....shipped CONUS. Both Folding and non-folding. Fantastic razor imo....

Last, I also have an IBC.........Brilliant razor. I've quite a few people mention the cost, but consider this....
1. Is still about 1/2 or a 1/4 of the cost of the Feather version
2. Some prefer DE Shavettes, others, AC. Some, are testing the waters. The IBC uses both, and from what I can tell, it is the only one that compatible with Injector blades, as well.
3. Every single part is replaceable. Need a new screw? you can get one. Want a different color handle/scales? You can get one.
4. This one just came to mind and I'm yet to try it but......being that it uses a screw, rather than pins, I'm curious to know how it would fair as a 'non-folding'/'Kamisori' alternative....
I actually bought a cheap DE shavette ($5 w/shipping) and a Kai Luffy and Feather SS clone. I didn't like the shave from the DE shavette. I'm going to retry it with a better blade, and see if that helps. I didn't cut myself or anything, but it just didn't seem smooth to me. The clones won't arrive for awhile, but I don't have blades yet anyway. lol Now I'm wondering if the blade cost is even worth it, especially if I don't like the shave. I know that's premature and unfair since it's based on the DE shavette.

I actually bought a cheap DE shavette ($5 w/shipping) and a Kai Luffy and Feather SS clone. I didn't like the shave from the DE shavette. I'm going to retry it with a better blade, and see if that helps. I didn't cut myself or anything, but it just didn't seem smooth to me. The clones won't arrive for awhile, but I don't have blades yet anyway. lol Now I'm wondering if the blade cost is even worth it, especially if I don't like the shave. I know that's premature and unfair since it's based on the DE shavette.

You'll find your way in due time.
I, for one, haven't found the DE option to be effective. Mainly because of the thin/short blades.
Compared to the artist club blades, they feel a bit more 'bitey', less forgiving.

Unlike a straight razor,, I'm starting to realize that price/quality doesn't really come through, as much, with performance.
Other than the essential basics such as, "does it clamp the blade?", the main concern is the blade itself, which, really and truly, has nothing to do with the razor, which is simply a 'blade holder'.

Last edited:
In my evolution from DE shaving to straights and kamisori, having started off with a cheap (Amazon) Candure swing lock with stainless steel scales using a half DE blade (still used as a cabin baggage travel razor I can afford to lose/have stolen, purchasing blades at destination), I progressed to a Böker Barberette (same as a Dovo Shavette) which can use either a half DE blade or a half long blade (separate plastic blade holders held in the folded metal body) and is available in a variety of scale materials; I prefer using the long blade in it as I find that a DE blade is less forgiving and still use it in rotation.

Now I'm wondering if the blade cost is even worth it, especially if I don't like the shave.

I bought a 30 pack of Schick Proline last week, £18. That'll give me about 600 shaves @ 3p per shave ;)

AC shavettes are really nothing like a half-DE shavette. It's certainly possible to cut yourself but overall they are much more forgiving and much easier to shave with, IMO.

I found the Feather blades could be a bit too sharp for the first few shaves but then they settle down to a milder edge. Schick Proline & Kai Captain Mild are a bit milder straight out the gate, especially the latter.

I bought a 30 pack of Schick Proline last week, £18. That'll give me about 600 shaves @ 3p per shave ;)

AC shavettes are really nothing like a half-DE shavette. It's certainly possible to cut yourself but overall they are much more forgiving and much easier to shave with, IMO.

I found the Feather blades could be a bit too sharp for the first few shaves but then they settle down to a milder edge. Schick Proline & Kai Captain Mild are a bit milder straight out the gate, especially the latter.

100% regarding the feather blades. The performance, or more specifically, the level of comfort, is pretty much night and day after a couple of shaves.

Once my clones come, I'll give them a try. I do hear the AC blades are more durable, so perhaps that will help me get more than one shave out of each 1/2 DE (shave my head too). I'd like to get 3 or 4 shaves out of one blade if possible. I just tried a slant the other day and that seems better (smoother and more efficient) than a regular safety razor. Are the ac blade razors (DX, SS, etc) better than a slant?

Top Bottom