What's new

"Shavette" style advice

Hi guy,
I'm hoping you can help me.
I'm going to barbering college in September and, while I have some lovely straights which I will teach myself to use, I know in advance that I won't be allowed to use them in the college. Nor will I be taught how to use them :crying: ...
But that aside I AM hoping to be allowed to use a disposable blade style of straight for tidying up the back of the neck area (I have been trained how to do this already and in fact it was the area I scored highest in when doing my basics course!).

I have a few questions:
Firstly is there a name for these type of straights. I know Dovo call them shavettes but I think that is just their brand name?

Secondly, and more importantly, want type would you recommend? As I can't show off my proper straights I would love to get somethings really nice to use. At the moment I have a horrible plasticy piece of rubbish that I'm eager to replace. I'm willing to spend a bit and treat myself if I can afford it (or get one as an early graduation present maybe).

What would you recommend? What types are out there? And what are the pros and cons for each over the others?
I know that there is a feather one and Ive seen something about a stunning looking one by Kai (?) but I don't know the weight or build of these or if the blades they take are readily available. I would need to be able to get the blades in bulk if I am using it once I start to work full time.

I know I'm asking a lot but I really appreciate your help. I couldn't use the search tool as the word "kai" was too short and the few threads I found didn't tell me if they were better or different to the feather ones etc. Thanks everyone!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here's the review section for the Feather AC

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=F&t=18616

Here's the review section for the Kai Folding

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153446

The disposable blade straights are listed in amongst the straights section of the Reviews, but it is alphabetized, so if you have the name, you can find it pretty quickly;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45&ltr=F&sort=&order=

I have not used any of the disposable blade razors, so I can't give you any personal anecdotes.

I have quite a bit of experience with Shavette's/ disposable blade straights, so allow me to share:

1) The Dovo Shavette. I think this is the worst choice of the bunch, as the build quality is rather chintz all around, and it doesn't possess enough weight. It's adapable to use 3 different style blades: a DE blade split in half, the blade from a Fromm Hair Shaper (which you probably already have experience with), and a blade that is like a DE blade in that it flexes, but is much longer, it is also split in half; those are available exclusively from Dovo.

2) The Parker Shavette that uses 1/2 DE blades. Available from Amazon.com for around $20. I have been shaving with this for about the last 1.5 weeks, and having great results. The build quality is vastly superior to the Dovo, being made of stainless steel construction. The blade is also nicely clamped in place (whereas in the Dovo it simply sits inside of a cheap plastic slide in holder).

3) Monsieur Charles: this uses the same blade that is used in a Schick Injector, or it can also use the Personna Mini-Hair Shaper Blades. Said to be a quite good razor. Around $30-40.

4) The Fromm Hair Shaper. If you remove it's comb guard, you will have a fairly long non-flexible blade, that quite a few people have had good luck using as a shavette. It takes some getting used too, as each end of the blade has a sharp point, that is pretty easy to dig into the face.

5) On the upper end of the scale (but by far the best option) are the Feather Artist Club, and Kai Captain. These razors use special blades that are made only by Kai, and Feather, and need to be special ordered. However, the build quality of these razors is superb. The razors are solid brass, and possess nearly the same weight as a true straight. The long, non-flexible blade is said to best approximate the shave an actual straight as well. Cost is $100+, and blades are roughly $11 for a 20 pack (+ shipping).

6) A hybrid I am going to assemble at the end of this week. You take the Fromm Hair Shaper minus the blade, and a the plastic blade holder from the Dovo Shavette (available separately for a mere $2). It is said you can sand the plastic holder down, so it will slid into the Fromm's blade holder. This gives you more protection from the blade than just using the Fromm by itself, but avoids the lack of weight issue that the Dovo Shavette has.

General Notes:

a) A longer, thicker blade better approximates the shave of a regular straight.

b) The blades for a shavette are typically sharper than an actual straight, and thus less forgiving. A lapse of technique will likely mean your customer getting a cut.

c) the shortness of the blade in a shavette alters the feel of using it. It's also said to make it less forgiving (more prone to cuts, and nicks).

d) consider how often you need to replace the blade on the shavette. If you need a new blade for each customer, something like the Feather/ Kai may not be very economical.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for that concise post John, great information. :thumbup1:
Have you considered talking to Blackfoot (Blake) about a Wiki article?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but what blades are available to use with the Fromm if I wanted to shave with it?

Thanks!

Geeno

Don't want to hijack the thread, but what blades are available to use with the Fromm if I wanted to shave with it?

Thanks!

Geeno

The hair shaper is a pretty common tool in the barber's trade as I understand it, and thus blades are readily available. Any barber' supply store will probably have both the Fromm, and Personna brand blades in stock. I have shaved with both brands, and both were sharp enough to give me lots of nicks, and weepers....:lol::lol:

Cruising around some of the barber supply websites, I also believe I have seen Dianne, and Vincent branded blades. I don't know about their quality.

If you have a Sally Beauty in your area, you can pick up the Fromm Hair Shaper, and some blades for it, and come in at around the $10 price point.

It's a pretty economical way to test the waters, but expect a pretty decent learning curve. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Wow thank you so much michiganlover!!!

That waqs a perfect answer and gave me all the information I need. I wish the Feather baldes weren't so expenisve and I love the look of those ones however the Fromm had a lovely handle too.

Please let me know when you have your hybrid made as I'd love to see it! :thumbup:

Thanks, John....I did pick up the Fromm a couple of months ago, after reading about it. I noodled with the blade that came with it, but it was WAY harsh, and I did give myself a very minor slice from that straight point on the end...:blushing:

Was wondering if other blades might be available that were more shave friendly, and would fit that Fromm.

Wasn't very clear, sorry.

I have quite a bit of experience with Shavette's/ disposable blade straights, so allow me to share:

1) The Dovo Shavette. I think this is the worst choice of the bunch, as the build quality is rather chintz all around, and it doesn't possess enough weight. It's adapable to use 3 different style blades: a DE blade split in half, the blade from a Fromm Hair Shaper (which you probably already have experience with), and a blade that is like a DE blade in that it flexes, but is much longer, it is also split in half; those are available exclusively from Dovo.

2) The Parker Shavette that uses 1/2 DE blades. Available from Amazon.com for around $20. I have been shaving with this for about the last 1.5 weeks, and having great results. The build quality is vastly superior to the Dovo, being made of stainless steel construction. The blade is also nicely clamped in place (whereas in the Dovo it simply sits inside of a cheap plastic slide in holder).

3) Monsieur Charles: this uses the same blade that is used in a Schick Injector, or it can also use the Personna Mini-Hair Shaper Blades. Said to be a quite good razor. Around $30-40.

4) The Fromm Hair Shaper. If you remove it's comb guard, you will have a fairly long non-flexible blade, that quite a few people have had good luck using as a shavette. It takes some getting used too, as each end of the blade has a sharp point, that is pretty easy to dig into the face.

5) On the upper end of the scale (but by far the best option) are the Feather Artist Club, and Kai Captain. These razors use special blades that are made only by Kai, and Feather, and need to be special ordered. However, the build quality of these razors is superb. The razors are solid brass, and possess nearly the same weight as a true straight. The long, non-flexible blade is said to best approximate the shave an actual straight as well. Cost is $100+, and blades are roughly $11 for a 20 pack (+ shipping).

6) A hybrid I am going to assemble at the end of this week. You take the Fromm Hair Shaper minus the blade, and a the plastic blade holder from the Dovo Shavette (available separately for a mere $2). It is said you can sand the plastic holder down, so it will slid into the Fromm's blade holder. This gives you more protection from the blade than just using the Fromm by itself, but avoids the lack of weight issue that the Dovo Shavette has.

General Notes:

a) A longer, thicker blade better approximates the shave of a regular straight.

b) The blades for a shavette are typically sharper than an actual straight, and thus less forgiving. A lapse of technique will likely mean your customer getting a cut.

c) the shortness of the blade in a shavette alters the feel of using it. It's also said to make it less forgiving (more prone to cuts, and nicks).

d) consider how often you need to replace the blade on the shavette. If you need a new blade for each customer, something like the Feather/ Kai may not be very economical.

Nice post from John on disposable open blade razors. I use both the Feather AC and the Kai for my straights, and they are excellent shavers.

I'll also go along with the Parker straight as being a nice razor. I got the SRW just to try it out after having terrible results with the Dovo. The Dovo is really bad, and I'd advise you to not even consider it. The Parker on the other hand is very well made and very sturdy. The price isn't bad either, you can pick up the SRW and over 200 Shark blades on ebay for around $23.00. I also picked up the SRB, black version along with the stainless steel model for around $32.00 for both with 5 or 10 blades each.

There is a bit of a learning curve in using these razors, but not much more than with any open blade razor. Just be sure to go slow, and start with the blade flat against your face. Give it a slight angle until you can feel it cutting the whiskers. :thumbup1:

I'll also go along with the Parker straight as being a nice razor. I got the SRW just to try it out after having terrible results with the Dovo. The Dovo is really bad, and I'd advise you to not even consider it. The Parker on the other hand is very well made and very sturdy. The price isn't bad either, you can pick up the SRW and over 200 Shark blades on ebay for around $23.00. I also picked up the SRB, black version along with the stainless steel model for around $32.00 for both with 5 or 10 blades each.

I don't understand why everyone on this forum has a problem with the Dovo. I have had a great experience with that little plastic half blade holder. It shaves through thick hair quickly and efficiently.

Now the parker SRW is a total piece of junk. Its much too heavy, and the blade holder / sliding clamp is total crap. The Dovo has internal detents on its blade holder to keep the blade perfectly level with the razor, while the Parker just claps down on the blade whichever way it feels like. So you end up with one side of the razor sticking out further then the other, leaving a nice point to cut you with. The Dovo blade holder might be plastic but it needs to be to work the way it does.

To the op, dovo makes a high end shavette thats made of metal. Aside from that I hear great things about the feather AC, too bad it costs more then a real straight.

Now the parker SRW is a total piece of junk. Its much too heavy, and the blade holder / sliding clamp is total crap.

Too Heavy?? That's the major reason why many of us think the Dovo is useless. The blade holder has very little weight too it.

I have not had any issues with the holding system of the Parker. It firmly holds the blade in place, and the blade has not moved around at all.

To the op, dovo makes a high end shavette that's made of metal. Aside from that I hear great things about the feather AC, too bad it costs more then a real straight.

I assume you are talking about the Dovo Shavette with the stainless steel handle, but the same blade holder as the other models? Having a stainless steel handle does nothing to change the fact that the blade holder itself has very little weight; the blade holder is still made of lightweight metal.

I am not convinced having a heavier handle would actually have that much impact on the overall shave quality.

Last edited:
Just be sure to go slow, and start with the blade flat against your face. Give it a slight angle until you can feel it cutting the whiskers.
Well, as a lady looking to learn to shave men's faces I'm faced with an additional learning curve in so far as I can't practice on my face.
Some days I wish I had a beard just so I could!

I don't understand why everyone on this forum has a problem with the Dovo.

I have experience using a shavette similar to the dovo one and I find it too light and flimsy. Maybe the actually Dovo one is a bit better but I'm afriad the Parker is winning my vote at the moment in terms of the one I'm most likely to try due to the style and weight of it.

Top Bottom