What's new

Shavette recommendations for rookies

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My contribution of 2 cents.
I use the 3: 1/2 DE, AC blade, Straight.
80% Straight
15% 1/2 DE
5% AC blade.
1/2 DE requires much more skill in shaving technique than the other two.
The Straight requires more honing skill than the other two :).
When someone asks me for advice on going straight, my answer is always the same. Starts with AC blade with protection (proguard, protouch). Next steep AC Blade without protection. then choose the path to develop honing skills (straight) or improve your shaving technique skills (1/2 DE) or both...
I would consider that to be very sound advice, although I have never shaved with an AC type blade.

My contribution of 2 cents.
I use the 3: 1/2 DE, AC blade, Straight.
80% Straight
15% 1/2 DE
5% AC blade.
1/2 DE requires much more skill in shaving technique than the other two.
The Straight requires more honing skill than the other two :).
When someone asks me for advice on going straight, my answer is always the same. Starts with AC blade with protection (proguard, protouch). Next steep AC Blade without protection. then choose the path to develop honing skills (straight) or improve your shaving technique skills (1/2 DE) or both...
What De shavette do use in your rotation?

Left DE, Right AC Blade

Shavette collection.jpg

Where's the best place to get that razor?
I bought mine here years ago.

Unfortunately the version Lama Intera (Full blade) is not anymore. There is only the Mezza lama (half balde) version.

Check this one site. It has the lama intera model.

I bought mine here years ago.

Unfortunately the version Lama Intera (Full blade) is not anymore. There is only the Mezza lama (half balde) version.

Check this one site. It has the lama intera model.

Thanks for the link. I'm not a huge lover of half blade models.

Now I finally find out the the razor is not named after a strange looking animal...

Universal Shaver hand free full Blade

I don't quit understand how you use it hands free, maybe it means one hand is free?

Now I finally find out the the razor is not named after a strange looking animal...

Universal Shaver hand free full Blade

I don't quit understand how you use it hands free, maybe it means one hand is free?
Free-hand, not hands-free.

Rasoio a mano libera is the Italian expression for straight razor.

This is my recommendation for a reasonable Shavette, buy a clone razor and buy the Kai Protouch AC 50mm guarded blades or Feather pro guard alternative. They work well and the blades are the main reason for success because they help prevent the blade from digging in to skin and it is much more enjoyable I found. The blades are very sharp and will give a excellent shave, in fact these blades are the best blades they make for all razor applications according to their charts.

Another thing I suggest is if you have a naked blade turn the sharp blade edge so it is inside the clamped part and do dry runs with holding the razor until you feel comfortable, the blunted edge almost sounds like you have the sharp edge actually cutting your beard and I did this for a while to familiarize my hand maneuvers and confidence using one.
A naked edge blade is so sharp and unforgiving its not worth it IMO to learn with, you will learn a lot about blade feel and that is very important. Avoid coming in hot (plunking the razor) to start a stroke and that is also very important especially with a naked blade.
View attachment 1481044
Have some great shaves!
This is a great recommendation but be aware: they miiiiight send you a Captain clone instead (I've ordered several and they've gotten it wrong on occasion because they don't know or care about the difference in heads).

Also, if you're willing to spend about $50 or $60, just go ahead and get a Feather SS from eBay. You won't regret it :)

Or a real Kai for $70. ;)
A Kai Captain is a good choice but I own pretty much all of the Feathers, all of the Kais (including the Excelia) and all of the clones. I would say that my favorite tends to be the Kai limited clone (suggested above) and the Feather SS. I honestly love them all but the one I use the least is the Captain and its clones. My son however, LOVES the Captain and its clones. The CJB also deserves an honorabru mention :chinese:

This is a great recommendation but be aware: they miiiiight send you a Captain clone instead (I've ordered several and they've gotten it wrong on occasion because they don't know or care about the difference in heads).

This did happen to me twice. But in hindsight I'm glad it happened, because I love the DE shavette they sent instead, and I got them for free (because I obviously complained) and now I got 1 backup and another for travel.

I have to say that I much prefer the Captain Style shavettes, instead of the SS and Luffy.
From the first moment I put a CJB to my face (as a newbie) it just felt great. I can't say the same for the Lip style, they just don't feel right to me.

Top Bottom