What's new

shavette questions

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve had a Focus Al and it had a really cool loading system and corner guards but I didn’t like the shave angle. When I use a shavette, I use a Parker SR-1. It is my favorite so far and it uses DE half blades. I use Derby Pro blades which are half blades. The Derby Pros are very comfortable and inexpensive.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have been on record around here saying that I think the Focus Slim Al is a great barber straight to start on. I say that because I didn't start on it, and wish to heck I had!

I started with a Parker SRX. Oh, sure...Parker is not a high-end company but they make good razors for the money. I still have my SRX and use it occasionally. I use the Focus Slim Al more often, though. I really like it, which is kinda funny considering I hate light razors in any other format.

I understand the desire not to buy into a whole different blade type just to try it on. That's frankly why I don't do injectors but I have DE, 1/2 DE, Gem and AC razors.

In the AC (Artist Club) razors, I've used both the clones and the "real thing." I tend to discount clones a bit because to me it means the original innovator is getting their intellectual propery stolen. I've used Feather and "Feather-like" as well as Kai/Kasho and "-like" razors. I have not used the Feather DX but I have used SS and SR models. I like the SR model better, as it doesn't need as steep an angle to shave closely for me. More comfortable, less worry.

Of the few barber straights I have, my favourites in each blade type are:

1/2 DE: Focus Slim Al
AC: Feather SR kamisori

I also find that for head shaving a kamisori is easier to hold than a western style.

O.H.

I'm a big fan of the chinese half-DE shavettes (KureNai GF35), like the top left razor in your picture, even though I have mine (and prefer) the folding configuration.
This is the shavette razor that clicked with me. So you know, DE shaving never really clicked for me (yes, that is weird).
For even milder feeling DE shavettes I would go with the Italian Vanta and maybe the Focus Slim/Evolution (but I have never used the focus razors).Beware that with this types of razors (without a guard to protect) mild feeling might also be dangerous.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm a big fan of the chinese half-DE shavettes (KureNai GF35), like the top left razor in your picture, even though I have mine (and prefer) the folding configuration.
This is the shavette razor that clicked with me. So you know, DE shaving never really clicked for me (yes, that is weird).
For even milder feeling DE shavettes I would go with the Italian Vanta and maybe the Focus Slim/Evolution (but I have never used the focus razors).Beware that with this types of razors (without a guard to protect) mild feeling might also be dangerous.
My choice ended being the Parker SR-1 for travel or just quick shaves. I did have a Focus Al which has a great loading system and point guards but had a shaving angle built in that I didn’t like so I gave it to a friend. With the Parker, I just rub the points on the mirror before loading to knock the edge off (when I remember) and I’ve never cut myself. Unlike the Focus, I have the same angle control as I do with a regular straight razor.

Top Bottom