What's new

shavette questions

hello prople so i like the look of that focus slim one but one thing i want to understand is that,
are shavettes all the same as in they dont come mild or aggressive like de/se razors as in its all about the person who handles it and their technniques?

i did want to go down the straight razor route but i got so many de blades and i dont know how to even hone a razor so shavettes seem like the logical and easiest step for me to take imo

there are the few shavettes (see pic below) i have a also the kamisori style shavettes (dont know if thats the correct term!),
anyways i was wondering is there any shavettes you can recommend at all?

1621710158830.jpg

It really depends on what kind of blade you want to use. For half DE blades, I can recommend Parker - new models with wood scales look great, have nice weight (chromed steel) and they will also accept injector blades.

If you want to use Artist Club blades, Feather SS is a great way to shave and they are very easy to use. Definitely more forgiving than the DX model (which is also awesome). These are much more expensive though.

Reactions: saj
It really depends on what kind of blade you want to use. For half DE blades, I can recommend Parker - new models with wood scales look great, have nice weight (chromed steel) and they will also accept injector blades.

If you want to use Artist Club blades, Feather SS is a great way to shave and they are very easy to use. Definitely more forgiving than the DX model (which is also awesome). These are much more expensive though.
would rather use something that takes de blades tbh as i have loads of them lol

so can you put in both de blades and injector blades in parker shavettes? if so, can you post a link to one so i can see which one youre referring too please thanks

I use the Feather DX Artist Club kamisori style razor. It wouldn’t solve your excess of DE blades - it uses an injector type blade. I haven’t used any other shavette, so can’t answer the question on the variety of aggressive razors on the market. With the Feather you can address the issue with your choice of blade - they’re available with various exposures, and some with a protective guard. I got a nasty bite the first time I used it, switched to a milder blade (Kai Pinks) and as the mont go buy it’s becoming my favorite razor.

It has been 5+ years since I last used a shavette, but as far as I can remember, I have made the same experience with DEs. A blade which works for me works everywhere, also in my shavette. You are in control of the "parameters" which determine aggressiveness so to speak. But I have only used halved DE blades in a shavette. I have experience with Artist club-style blades in a SE only.

hello prople so i like the look of that focus slim one but one thing i want to understand is that,
are shavettes all the same as in they dont come mild or aggressive like de/se razors as in its all about the person who handles it and their technniques?

i did want to go down the straight razor route but i got so many de blades and i dont know how to even hone a razor so shavettes seem like the logical and easiest step for me to take imo

there are the few shavettes (see pic below) i have a also the kamisori style shavettes (dont know if thats the correct term!),

View attachment 1270565

There is a little difference in the amount of projection of the blade from the razor. It is not that big of difference though.
Clam style holders are the best and a full size one is preferred.
I like the Universal brand.
Parkers are small in stature as are many others. They feel tiny in the hand. Get the full size.

would rather use something that takes de blades tbh as i have loads of them lol

so can you put in both de blades and injector blades in parker shavettes? if so, can you post a link to one so i can see which one youre referring too please thanks

This, with a 'zon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Parkers-Rosewod-Professional-Straight-Razor/dp/B07KFR6LKD

They are made with rosewood and/or walnut scales. And yes, you can put injector blades in a clip-closure shavettes like these.
This is how they look like with an injector blade inside:

IMG_2678.JPG

This, with a 'zon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Parkers-Rosewod-Professional-Straight-Razor/dp/B07KFR6LKD

They are made with rosewood and/or walnut scales. And yes, you can put injector blades in a clip-closure shavettes like these.
This is how they look like with an injector blade inside:

View attachment 1270592
sorry to sound daft but just to clarify when youre saying injector razor blades you mean the AC razor blades right?

yea think i've seen that one on amazon uk, it says its the 2019 model or something

I like the Focus Al Slim (R28). I've tried a few half-DE, and the Focus seems to do a better job of guarding the corners of the blade than some of the other offerings. It's also a nice bit of engineering - I used one yesterday.

An honourable mention too to the source of the brand name - the Dovo Shavette works well with the clear insert for half DE (again, it seems to cover at least one of the blade corners). I prefer the black insert and the longer TSS3 blade in that one, but that's not going to help if you're looking to get through some DE blades.

In the middle in terms of blade length are the AC blades, but I'm guessing the same applies if you're looking for something half-DE. I've not tried those shavette-style (yet - it's probably just a matter of time).

Aggression is more about technique with an exposed edge, but there's a bit of variation in how far the replaceable blade sticks out and whether the blade corners are exposed - that was always the bit that used to bite me on the face.

And yes - "kamisori style" works for the top two in the picture.

I like the Focus Al Slim (R28). I've tried a few half-DE, and the Focus seems to do a better job of guarding the corners of the blade than some of the other offerings. It's also a nice bit of engineering - I used one yesterday.

An honourable mention too to the source of the brand name - the Dovo Shavette works well with the clear insert for half DE (again, it seems to cover at least one of the blade corners). I prefer the black insert and the longer TSS3 blade in that one, but that's not going to help if you're looking to get through some DE blades.

In the middle in terms of blade length are the AC blades, but I'm guessing the same applies if you're looking for something half-DE. I've not tried those shavette-style (yet - it's probably just a matter of time).

Aggression is more about technique with an exposed edge, but there's a bit of variation in how far the replaceable blade sticks out and whether the blade corners are exposed - that was always the bit that used to bite me on the face.

And yes - "kamisori style" works for the top two in the picture.
Any links to the dovo one youre referring too?

I thought dovo just did straight razors and not shavettes

Böker has also released a shavette for DE blades by the way. Don't know though if it's available in the US.

I think the Barberette comes with both (half DE and TSS3) inserts (or they're available as extras - similar to the way Dovo do it). Or were you thinking full DE?

Not sure about US availability - I'm in the UK so Invisible Edge are kind of "The Local". Looks from their "Delivery and Returns" page like they'll ship anywhere, but it might be steep (unless you get five of 'em...).

View attachment 1270565
I like the Focus Slim, assuming it has the same head design as the Focus Slim Al, as the corners of the blade are protected. Which is great when learning, as I found that the most severe cuts were given by the points of the blade.

I also like the style in the top left, as the spine is thicker than those more common shavettes that hold the blade between two flat pieces of metal and swing apart. It is more of a wedge shape that can be held nearly flat against the face, especially during the first pass. I find them to give a socially acceptable shave without too much time or effort. Then more passes and care and skin stretching can provide an even closer shave .

But each style can be mastered and give good shaves. They are relatively cheap so it is fun to out try different styles.

Clip-type shavette is actually a multi blade razor - can use injector blade or half DE blade. You can't use an AC blade because of the thickness of the blade.

Top Bottom