What's new

Shavette like Single Edge Razor

Good evening from Germany to all,

I'm looking for a single edge razor which does not have a guard or comb or safety bar at all and is more like a shavette. Also, it should work with half DE blades and should hold the blade as rigid as possible.

Does the market offer such a single edge razor? Would be very happy if someone could give me some hint where to look at.

Thank you very much.

I’ve never seen such an animal, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. You could modify something by removing the guard / comb / safety bar and it would probably work well if the instrument you modified was one you used so often you have developed muscle memory. Otherwise be careful. *yells up to wife before shaving* “honey, dial 91 and when you hear me scream.... dial 1!”

I’ve never seen such an animal, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. You could modify something by removing the guard / comb / safety bar and it would probably work well if the instrument you modified was one you used so often you have developed muscle memory. Otherwise be careful. *yells up to wife before shaving* “honey, dial 91 and when you hear me scream.... dial 1!”

Thank you very much for your post. In fact I have tried to build my own razor and the result so far is promising :)

I assumed that I'm not the first with such an idea and that's why I asked... Maybe I should a business out of this :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Not SE but the Roedter 1909 ("Defective" Fatip Grande MK1) sure hangs the blade out there. ;)

roedter1909.jpg

The Ikon TEK is certainly an aggressive razor. I've never shaved with the 2011 Mühle R41 and am unable to offer a comparison.

There is one razor in my Den I have that I have not yet tried: The SCHEERMES ROEDTER 1909 TITAN (aka "Defective Fatip" and "Razor Blade on a Stick")

@Raven Koenes @Polarbeard and @Esox discuss it at length on:

Here is a pic from that thread:

View attachment 1105613

I'd like to find a 2011 R41 some day just to compare it, the Ikon TEK and the Roedter 1909. :)

Not SE but the Roedter 1909 ("Defective" Fatip Grande MK1) sure hangs the blade out there. ;)

View attachment 1118999

Thank you very much for your post. It does not have to be a single edge razor. I have also removed the safety bars of some double egde razors. But the razors I removed the safety bars did not hold the blade very rigidly afterwards. I had the feeling that there is some chatter. So far I have expected this also from the Roedter.

So how is your experience? Do you feel chatter when shaving with the Roedter?

The Roedter is not a pleasant shave, from reports I have heard.

There is a enormously long thread about 'Devettes' in the double edge forum somewhere if you search for it.

But I have to ask..... why not just get a shavette?. I would recommend the Feather SS. It takes AC blades, so you sanmuse Schick Prolines, whuch are amazing. If you keep doing stuff like removing the guards of SE and DE razors, you are going to end up using a shavette at some point anyway, so just get one and be done with it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you very much for your post. It does not have to be a single edge razor. I have also removed the safety bars of some double egde razors. But the razors I removed the safety bars did not hold the blade very rigidly afterwards. I had the feeling that there is some chatter. So far I have expected this also from the Roedter.

So how is your experience? Do you feel chatter when shaving with the Roedter?

I am chagrined to say that I still haven't gotten around to shaving with it. :(

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
But I have to ask..... why not just get a shavette?. I would recommend the Feather SS. It takes AC blades, so you sanmuse Schick Prolines, whuch are amazing. If you keep doing stuff like removing the guards of SE and DE razors, you are going to end up using a shavette at some point anyway, so just get one and be done with it.

A big +1 to this. :)

I made one from a Dorco PL602 a couple of years ago. Because it's made of plastic, it was easy enough to remove the guards with fingernail clippers. You can even leave one guard intact and either use both sides (mild and aggressive) or as an indicator of the "do not use" edge of the blade.

Not an SE, however, this is the only razor that I'm aware of that doesn't have a safety bar at all. No clue if it's good or not, but it does exist so maybe that's enough.

Not an SE, however, this is the only razor that I'm aware of that doesn't have a safety bar at all. No clue if it's good or not, but it does exist so maybe that's enough.

Wow! That's an interesting razor. I decided to use the PL602 because I thought it would be an inexpensive experiment. I think I managed to get two razors delivered for less than ten bucks. If I screwed up, I was only out ten dollars and I'd still have a spare.

But I have to ask..... why not just get a shavette?

I have tried to use a Sedef several times but I cannot hold it in a way that the shave gets clean and enjoyable. I know that this will be a matter of practice. But with something inbetween a safety razor and a shavette will be best for my personal taste.

In the devette thread here many have reported that leaving the outher teeths of a open comb razor intact and removing the other will avoid blade chatter. This is also my experience. Therefore I'm looking for a razor which supports the blade from both ends but without a safety bar.

The "shavettes" produced by Vanta and Focus have such blade supporting tabs in both ends...

In the devette thread here many have reported that leaving the outher teeths of a open comb razor intact and removing the other will avoid blade chatter. This is also my experience. Therefore I'm looking for a razor which supports the blade from both ends but without a safety bar.

The "shavettes" produced by Vanta and Focus have such blade supporting tabs in both ends...

I understand what you're looking for. I just think you'll have a hard time finding it off the shelf because I suspect you're pretty close to being the only person interested in such a product.

I understand what you're looking for. I just think you'll have a hard time finding it off the shelf because I suspect you're pretty close to being the only person interested in such a product.

Thank you very much for your post. I really appreciate. I don't think it is a mass market but I thought that something inbetween a shavette and a safety razor should be more common.

Anyway I will try to build something simple for me if I can. I have some ideas with thin stainless steel. Hope that it will work.

Thank you very much for your post. I really appreciate. I don't think it is a mass market but I thought that something inbetween a shavette and a safety razor should be more common.

Anyway I will try to build something simple for me if I can. I have some ideas with thin stainless steel. Hope that it will work.
Take an open comb razor and shave off all the combs except for the ones on the ends. If there is too much blade chatter, use a shim.

Do you have access to a 3D printer or at least some basic understanding of them? I think printing a base plate to work with whatever top you want is the easiest way to go about this. Even if you outsource the printing to somewhere like Shapeways it shouldn't cost you more than like $15. That way you don't have to worry about modifying stainless and you can make the base plate go all the way up to the top cap edge to pinch the blade as fully as possible.

Take an open comb razor and shave off all the combs except for the ones on the ends. If there is too much blade chatter, use a shim.

This will be my backup solution if I cannot build my idea. I also want the blade to be supported from above which would not be the case when modifying a usual safety razor.

Do you have access to a 3D printer or at least some basic understanding of them? I think printing a base plate to work with whatever top you want is the easiest way to go about this. Even if you outsource the printing to somewhere like Shapeways it shouldn't cost you more than like $15. That way you don't have to worry about modifying stainless and you can make the base plate go all the way up to the top cap edge to pinch the blade as fully as possible.
I have never worked with 3D printers but I already have seen 3D printed razors. Thank you very much, I will keep this in mind if I cannot get the thin stainless steel sheet to the shape I want it to have. It is just .5mm thick... I really love the idea to have in steel... It will never be comparable as my Dart but maybe still usuable :)

Top Bottom