What's new

Shavette Lather Advice

Im getting ready to move on from DE to my first Shavette shave. I have a Feather SS kamisori style shavette and I’ve been building up my nerve for a couple of months to give a go.
What I was wondering is if there are particular soaps that produce a lather that is more conducive to this type of a shave. I have a good number of various soaps and would like to use the one that will aid me the most on my first attempt.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use DE razors almost all of the time but occasionally use my Feather Artist Club DX and when I do I normally use Tabac soap as I find it very slick. The important thing for me is to use a slightly wetter lather than for a DE shave. Concentrate on very light pressure and an extremely shallow angle, so the razor spine is barely away from the skin. And go slowly! Good luck.

I'll share my thoughts as well. Hopefully they'll be helpful. I mostly shave with my DE, but do enjoy using my shavette or straight razors occasionally. I generally use the same soap as always (my go to is Mitchell's wool fat). The only change I make is to make it slightly wetter and apply it thinner.

I seem to get good results.

I recommend that you use your favorite soap, the one that always gives you good results. Tallow based is nice but not necessary. As mentioned, you don't want it so dense that it really sticks to the blade. A consistency of lather that would easily rinse off your DE under low water pressure would be good.

Thanks. I think I’ll be okay. I’ve been perfecting my lather building technique lately, so I know exactly what you mean. I think the day after tomorrow will be the day.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Agree with the above. Wet lather is best. I use a rather thin lather and if it starts drying before I finish, I just apply a bit more wet lather. I rarely finish a pass with the initial application of lather.

Top Bottom