What's new

Shavette? If yes, which style?

Okay, after almost 3 years DE shaving, I'm getting really curious about staright razors. I've done a little looking around & have a few questions for the vets. Would a Shavette be a good way to get my feet wet? If so are there any do's & don'ts about buying a shavette that you would like to make me aware of? I.E. which blade syle, brands to avoid, single end or 1/2 a double end blade style, etc... Or, in your opinion, am I spinning my wheels with a shavette & maybe should wait until I'm ready to make more of an investment into an initial staright razor. (Don't want to get in over my head. Well, at least not on the first go!)

Since you are in the Bay, hit the Art of Shaving store in the westfield on market.
They have a Dovo Shavette, and it is a much nicer piece of hardware than my Sanguine shavette that was half the price.

Shavettes are an OK way to get your feet wet, but shaving with a real straight will grab hold quickly, and you night as well buy a shave ready straight to start out.

Honestly, you can get a great shave with a Shavette. When I started with straights I used both the black plastic handle Shavette and the metal one. It seems to me most people like the metal one for the weight. I preferred the plastic one just because it was a little lighter and easier to maneuver around my face while starting out, plus it provided a crazy amount of feedback so I could tell if I was about to cut myself. Either way, you'll end up with a good shave. I also suggest using the red holder which takes any DE blade broken in half. This way you can use your favourite DE blades!

Thank you both, when you said Art of Shaving, that made me remember I have been sitting on a gift card for them since xmas. The DOVO on their site looks interesting. Might pull the trigger on it tonight but will wait a bit for any other's thoughts.

Thank you both, when you said Art of Shaving, that made me remember I have been sitting on a gift card for them since xmas. The DOVO on their site looks interesting. Might pull the trigger on it tonight but will wait a bit for any other's thoughts.

Go with the DOVO. I love all of mine(3). Just make sure that you get all three blade holders. I've yet to get the green one and I love those Personna blades in other Shavettes(They fit a Fromm). They are crazy sharp and have a spine, so they shave, to me at least, more like a real srtaight.
I need to go post a WTT or something to get one of those.

Top Bottom