What's new

Shavette for beginners.

I had this black, metal, heavy shavette for about a year and had been practicing with it. (Around $10) I got "decent" with it but it was a learning curve.

I bought the shavette pictures below for around $5 because I thought the aggressive nature of the black metal one might be from the heavy scales throwing the shave angle off.

Anyway, when I put a blade in the "PAC" razor I saw there was almost no blade gap. I thought I had the blade in wrong. It wasn't in wrong and this cheap-o razor shaved like a dream. Nice and easy, butter smooth.

My point is that people, beginners especially should consider blade gap when buying a shavette, especially beginners. It makes a huge difference. I assume most shavette users knew that but I didn't so I'm posting this hoping to help a beginner.

Notice the blade gap difference between the 2. I dont suggest that black metal one to start out with.

Attachments

• 20201123_110019.jpg
    20201123_110019.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
  • 20201123_110010.jpg
    20201123_110010.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20201123-003911_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201123-003911_eBay.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20201123_110230.jpg
    20201123_110230.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
By blade gap I assume you mean blade exposure since there is no gap on shavettes...sorry for the clarification since is not really necessary, I understood exactly what you meant👍

And yes, that blade is sticking WAY out there on the second shavette which would be a steep learning curve to get the angle right, plenty of weepers I assume when first using that thing.

I almost exclusively shave with a Feather SS which uses AC blades that are thicker and longer than DE blades which accounts for a very pleasant, comfortable close shave.

Your newest shavette benefits from enclosing the blade better and giving it more rigidity and the blade exposure is more than enough to perform the shave so definitely a good point to make for newbies in the shavette world.

As for the other shavette, looks intimidating to say the least!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I really enjoyed my Feather SS. I found the AC Pro Guard blades very approachable. They gave a really close comfortable shave, but also were a little less aggressive. An open blade still, so can bite if not paying attention.

By blade gap I assume you mean blade exposure since there is no gap on shavettes...sorry for the clarification since is not really necessary, I understood exactly what you meant👍

And yes, that blade is sticking WAY out there on the second shavette which would be a steep learning curve to get the angle right, plenty of weepers I assume when first using that thing.

I almost exclusively shave with a Feather SS which uses AC blades that are thicker and longer than DE blades which accounts for a very pleasant, comfortable close shave.

Your newest shavette benefits from enclosing the blade better and giving it more rigidity and the blade exposure is more than enough to perform the shave so definitely a good point to make for newbies in the shavette world.

As for the other shavette, looks intimidating to say the least!
Yes, I meant blade exposure. I only used that black heavy one and thought i wasn't a big fan of shavettes in general. I feel like a lot of beginners gravitate towards that particular model because of the price and build quality. I dont want people to write off shavettes or straights because they end up using one with massive exposure to start like I did.

I wish shavettes would show the blade exposure for each type so you'd know before you buy.

Looks interesting. I'm just starting out with shavettes and I haven't had much luck getting a blood free shave so I put it back in the drawer for a bit.

Where did you purchase the PAK from?

Looks interesting. I'm just starting out with shavettes and I haven't had much luck getting a blood free shave so I put it back in the drawer for a bit.

Ebay. Here is the picture so you can find it. Its feels like a relatively cheap build as expected but the shave is very comfortable.

I highly recommend practicing on it. Let me know if you do and how it works out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201123-003911_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201123-003911_eBay.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 49

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom

Any of the markhor range as very little blade exposure and can be found on amazon or ebay they're pretty well balanced for such a cheap razor around £8 ithink I payed for mine

@EricSki Did you ever get that black Lion Star to work? I wonder if the blade was seated correctly or if the holder was defective? As that is far too much exposure. The head looks very similar to the PAK delicate 606, so I would expect the Lion Star to work about the same. If it is still producing that much exposure it would be interesting if to see the internal surface of that razor....to see the spacing of the pins relative to the exposure edge.

In any case it is good that you have a better tool to use now.

Essence by Tedalus is certainly not a beginner price, but it has been my first shavette since late June and I have used it exclusively for the last three weeks. The learning curve has been near zero. I was really careful in the beginning and through the first week (4-5 shave) was conscious not to get over-confident, despite thinking it was surprisingly easy to use and not really having a problem with nicks.

But it really has been ridiculously easy to use. I think the reason for ease is probably three-fold:
  1. The jimps and narrow neck mean that you can really choke up on the razor (think of a baseball bat analogy) and have a lot of control.
  2. The spine is very narrow, so you have full range of angles at your disposal. You can easily modify your angle to be cautious until you get really comfortable with it.
  3. AC blades are just so stiff that you don't have to worry at all about blades bending. You really have full control.

For the record, I've used both Feather Professional and Schick ProLine blades in this.

I love it. My main gripe is the price, but if I keep using it and enjoying it, ultimately it will have easily recouped its value. The other gripe is that I now feel no need to acquire a Feather DX, which had been high on my wish list. So symptomatic of the addictive nature of this hobby ... reducing one's RAD should be a good thing, but in a twisted way I feel like it's a bad thing!

I'm really against this concept of buying a cheap shavette to try. Similarly, I don't see the point of starting with a Feather SS, then moving to Feather SR and then Feather DX. Just start with the one you want and enjoy the process.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I had this black, metal, heavy shavette for about a year and had been practicing with it. (Around $10) I got "decent" with it but it was a learning curve.

I bought the shavette pictures below for around $5 because I thought the aggressive nature of the black metal one might be from the heavy scales throwing the shave angle off.

Anyway, when I put a blade in the "PAC" razor I saw there was almost no blade gap. I thought I had the blade in wrong. It wasn't in wrong and this cheap-o razor shaved like a dream. Nice and easy, butter smooth.

My point is that people, beginners especially should consider blade gap when buying a shavette, especially beginners. It makes a huge difference. I assume most shavette users knew that but I didn't so I'm posting this hoping to help a beginner.
The shavette I use is a Parker SR-1. I also had a Focos that cost three times more but gave it away because I didn’t like the shave angle required.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have a Parker SRX which is OK. I have a Focus Slim Al and I love what that design does in a 1/2DE barber straight.

I also have AC barber straights: Kasho Woody, "Sally SS," ChiKaiClone, and a Feather SR kamisori on the way.

I believe the Focus is a good place to start (though I didn't start there). I like the blade corner covers and the angle guide -- both conveniences I would have really liked when starting with barber straights. To me, it's worth the price to have some "help" getting started. I can work on technique once I've locked the basics, but trying to build technique when I'm still feeling my way into it is only a recipe for frustration.

O.H.

Sedef or Ali Biyikli razors are a bit dangerous to load/unload a blade. Pakistani or Indian shavettes are more easier to load and less likely injure your fingers or slide in style ones are best bets.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is a good set up for some one who would like to try, naked blade were to much for myself but really enjoy the Kai Protouch guarded blades. The razor is a Kai Luffy type clone and did not cost much and is well built. AC 50mm blades are pricer than my Gem blades but there are a good selection of different types that fellows like.
You can get a very close shave with a AC 50mm guarded blade just to let newbies know and more enjoyable at least for myself.
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 2.jpg
Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom