What's new

Shavette confiscated by TSA.

if it wasn't a run for the gate situation, I'd have fought that and asked for his supervisor to get involved. and continued to fight it. to include offering up my palm to demonstrate the sharp edge effectivity.

if it wasn't a run for the gate situation, I'd have fought that and asked for his supervisor to get involved. and continued to fight it. to include offering up my palm to demonstrate the sharp edge effectivity.

Haha, I'm pretty non confrontational.

He actually ran it across his palm (w/ medical gloves) as he made his comments.

I think the concern may have been someone with bad intent waving an empty shavette around. No one else knows it is empty. Average passenger or crew is only going to see a sharp straight razor.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
At least it was not an heirloom vintage straight or an expensive straight. Still no fun though.

That stinks and I'm sorry for your hassle. But I'm afraid I can't be shocked. It's like I say every time somebody asks about bringing an injector razor or something like that through security: Never give TSA agents the opportunity to make a decision about unfamiliar things. You're not going to like how it turns out. They're not paid or trained enough to rely on giving you the benefit of the doubt.

It's ridiculous.

"Scissors

• Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
  • Checked Bags: Yes
If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors."
What Can I Bring? page 3.

Effectively 2 - 4" bladed knifes, just remove the screw. Much more of a threat than a razor blade, much less an empty handle!

That thing probably looks too much like a straight razor in the xray. I suspect it would get you flagged every time. The fact that you could potentially use it as a weapon had you managed to sneak a blade on the flight probably doesn't help your cause either.

I usually bring a three piece DE razor (taken apart). I've found if it's taken apart they don't flag it to check if there's a blade in it or not. I've never had it pulled in the twenty some trips I've brought it in my carry on.

I have accidentally left packs of blades in my carry on as well and they've gone right through (even internationally). I wouldn't do it on purpose but I suspect that they know some things do get through here and there which is probably why they took your shavette. In trying to use the blade as a weapon, by itself would likely be more of a danger to myself, in a safety razor you couldn't do much damage either, but once in the shavette the result might be much different as it could be a viable weapon.

I also carry a p-38 can opener in the same bag. Always have . I did have have an agent try to take that once. His buddy stopped him and gave it back to me.

I don't fly with expensive stuff, so I don't worry too much. It's just interesting to see the discrepancies.

That stinks and I'm sorry for your hassle. But I'm afraid I can't be shocked. It's like I say every time somebody asks about bringing an injector razor or something like that through security: Never give TSA agents the opportunity to make a decision about unfamiliar things. You're not going to like how it turns out. They're not paid or trained enough to rely on giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I know someone who had TSA nearly balk at letting him carry a small container of hand cream on a flight.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
TSA told my friend he couldn't board with the itsy bitsy penknife attached to his key chain because he could use it to take down the airplane.

My friend was the airplane's pilot in uniform. He mentioned the obvious: Any pilot can bring the plane down, no knife required. I was surprised they then didn't strip and body cavity search him.

We have no one to blame but ourselves for the TSA. I guess we gotta own it.

I'm afraid you're right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I tell the TSA guy or girl working that “I’m simply not the person they are looking for” use their first name on their badge. They don’t know what to do.

I don’t even consider flying with a razor, I’ll let it grow and deal when I get back. I pack such a limited amount of stuff the TSA guy doesn’t even need to consider my bag in the x Ray.

I do love all of the people who get so pissed off at belts shoes and laptops out and in the bin. They tell you 50 times and people still don’t get it.

I’m also a big mobile boarding pass guy paper slows this dude down

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I think I’ve told this story before:
I legally fly armed when I fly. There were several of us flying armed checking in together. In addition to our loaded pistols several of us were carrying MP5’s or Steyr AUGs. Even though we told them we were exempt from X-ray and from having our bags scanned TSA insisted over and over.
Talk about alarms going off everywhere!
Long story short we all boarded on time but one in our group was short his nail clippers because those were not permitted.
What a laugh we had!!
You just never know.

Top Bottom