What's new

Shavette confiscated by TSA.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
So here's my question.

Which cartridge to get for carry - on when flying?

If we have to do this (sigh) then which is is the least awful?
For me the Bic Metal is by far the best disposable I have tried for travel but it can be difficult to get here in the UK. Otherwise I prefer the basic Bic single bladed razor with the orange handle. I prefer a single blade, fixed head, and no lubra strip, as these seem to me to be closest to DE shaving and help me to maintain or even improve technique. I actually use them at home sometimes for variety.

The TSA once kept retired Air National Guard General Joe Foss from boarding a commercial flight. Foss shot down 26 Japanese planes in WW2 while in the Marines flying Grumman fighters. He was also later the President of the National Rifle Association, the Govermor of South Dakota, and the first commissioner of the National Football League.

At issue was a sharp metal pin...attached to his Medal of Honor. A medal that designated him as a living national treasure. But we cannot expect TSA guys to know such things. So take heart. In being hasseled by the TSA, you are in excellent company.

Thanks for the history! :a13:

I am in excellent company indeed!!

I think the concern may have been someone with bad intent waving an empty shavette around. No one else knows it is empty. Average passenger or crew is only going to see a sharp straight razor.

Yup. They don't allow box cutters in carry-ons, either, whether or not it has blades.

My dads a retired delta pilot and I’m active army currently, so we’ve done some pretty serious traveling since the formation of DHS and usually go full carry-on no checked bags. I’ve started to go full army interrogation against plenty of TSA “security officers” only to have my dad put his hand on my shoulder and give me the knowing headshake to say “you’ll find no common sense here, son”. If an old commercial airline captain with all the airport credentials has given up looking for logic/consistency, there’s definitely no hope for the rest of us non-credential schmucks. Argue with the TSA at your own peril. They’re making low hourly wages, and have no incentive to let you get on with your day.

On the happy ending side, dad retired now and is suddenly interested in DEs since Security lines aren’t an issue.

I don't take blades, but I always take a DE razor that I know I can replace (these days, usually a Karve F open comb). I keep the razor in my shirt pocket, and place it in the white bowl on the conveyor belt. A few times the TSA agent has asked me to take it apart, and usually I get a smile in response. No issues--yet.

I do keep a Bakelite razor for traveling with a carry on luggage. It doesn't show up on their scanner and I can still have my quality DE shaves.

Top Bottom