What's new

Shavette confiscated by TSA.

On my last flight, I observed this lady sitting one aisle over pull out a bag which contained various knitting needles in various lengths. Most were wooden but a few were made of metal and had sharp points. I was surprised she got those on the airplane after I saw one individual had to break off the file from his nail clipper.

On my last flight, I observed this lady sitting one aisle over pull out a bag which contained various knitting needles in various lengths. Most were wooden but a few were made of metal and had sharp points. I was surprised she got those on the airplane after I saw one individual had to break off the file from his nail clipper.
Knitting needles, as well as 4" bladed from the pivot point scissors are allowed. The scissors scare me. Unscrew and you have two knifes.

I was denied entry to a courthouse because I had a P-38 on my keyring. It had been banging around those keys for over 20 years. But the
Guard still claimed it was an edged weapon..
My opinion of most security types that I've dealt with . is that they need to have more common sense and a higher IQ than the bags they're inspecting. Sadly lacking in most cases.

The people doing the checking are not allowed to make any judgment call beyond "if it doubt, disallow it". They have a set of instructions to work off of, created by people far above their pay grade, and they are expected to follow them. They're not paid enough to cut anyone any slack on everyone else's security.

I'm not upset, I took a chance. Just letting people know. It's always up to the specific agent.

He said that even without a blade "it still has a significant edge". *eye roll*

Offered to mail it home for $13. No thanks.

Amazon link to the one I was* carrying:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0118BJ0PA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BaeBCb7XNGD27

The TSA once kept retired Air National Guard General Joe Foss from boarding a commercial flight. Foss shot down 26 Japanese planes in WW2 while in the Marines flying Grumman fighters. He was also later the President of the National Rifle Association, the Govermor of South Dakota, and the first commissioner of the National Football League.

At issue was a sharp metal pin...attached to his Medal of Honor. A medal that designated him as a living national treasure. But we cannot expect TSA guys to know such things. So take heart. In being hasseled by the TSA, you are in excellent company.

Knitting needles, as well as 4" bladed from the pivot point scissors are allowed. The scissors scare me. Unscrew and you have two knifes.
The knitting needles scared me. They were about 12" long, were made out of metal, and had points on the end.

These are OK:

proxy.php

but these files on a nail clipper are not allowed:

proxy.php

This is exactly why I wouldnt fly with anything other than a cart or disposable. Its not worth the hassle to me to try to fly with anything that is even the slightest bit questionable and no matter if youre in the right or not, youre going to lose every time when you try to argue with TSA, not to mention youre going to make yourself and everyone else late.

I had a new container of spray-on sunscreen confiscated at Yankee Stadium two years ago and I'm still not over it

Back in the mid 90's I was flying from St Louis to L.A. returning home from my brothers funeral 2 days prior and on my keychain was a spent round from an M-16 that was used for his 21 gun salute and was asked to either surrender it or leave the airport immediately. When I inquired as to why I couldn't take it on the flight the answer was that I possibly could re-load the round and use it to shoot someone on the flight and bring the plane down!! Thank god that was before 9-11 and my sister was actually at the gate seeing me off and took the keychain back home and mailed it to me. If that had happened today I probably would've had to throw it in the trash like the $100+ bottle of cologne that found its way into the trash prior to a flight after 9-11 that was 2oz oversized!!

My bag was once triggered for inspection by something they couldn't recognize, a shaving brush. Once they had the brush out of the bag looking at it and talking among themselves, another TSA agent walked up and pronounced that it was a shaving brush. That made another one speak up and ask about the razor. They lost interest when they discovered it was a cartridge.

I think that's a shavette. Pretty stupid of the owner to leave the blade in when adding it to the carry-on bag. Maybe without a blade the owner could have talked the agent into being allowed to keep it. But frankly, kind of stupid to even give TSA the opportunity to see it in a carry-on bag. Surely, if your trip is so short that you don't need a carry-on, you can survive for a couple days with a fixed-head disposable? And if it's a longer trip, then surely you'd need to check a bag and then you can bring whatever sharp objects you want. When I traveled a couple of weeks ago, my Gillette SA and a dispenser of blades rode safely in my carry-on and everyone was happy. (Happy-ish, anyway; running around airports at five in the morning isn't my idea of a good time.)

It's like I said before. There's simply no good reason to ask for a judgment call from poorly paid and poorly trained people who are following a script and specifically ordered to bias towards rejecting dangerous things. You're not going to be happy with the results.

So here's my question.

Which cartridge to get for carry - on when flying?

If we have to do this (sigh) then which is is the least awful?

So here's my question.

Which cartridge to get for carry - on when flying?

If we have to do this (sigh) then which is is the least awful?
I was once enamored of the Gillette Guard, but am having less success with it more recently. I'm thinking of going back to the Harry's system since it was what led me here to DE/SE shaving. Others like the Bic Metal. Obviously this is going to be a YMMV situation.

Top Bottom