What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Coolcut 9 aka Monsieur Charles for me today:
This razor is good looking, hefty and feels great in the hand.
Along with the Strong Leopard 77 it’s also one of the few shavettes which genuinely feels like shaving with a straight.
I've always avoided that razor because it seems like the back half of the blade (the part without an edge) would just rub the lather off my face.

I've always avoided that razor because it seems like the back half of the blade (the part without an edge) would just rub the lather off my face.

Yes, it does. You just shave front to back.
Yes that back half of the head scraping the lather is an annoying design issue with the Coolcut 9 but it’s no big deal in practice.
And this razor feels so good that for me the issue is very forgiveable same as the head wobble in the IBC.

If they’d kept the head the same narrower width all the way along you would probably be able to use an Artist Club Blade in this too and actually the blade holding mechanism is very similar to the Kamisori Silver Blade.

Nice outing with The Holy Black barber razor today after skipping shaves over the weekend.
Two bloodless passes brought me nearly all the way to smoothness. Then I turned to the Cobra to get the last little rough spots, rather than push it.

Well I have definitely become a Tondeo fan - this morning it was the newly acquired Sifter Style with a fresh Tondeo TSS cabinet blade:
3BC77A5B-9B54-4129-95E9-9CD92C35CF57.jpeg

This must be the perfect cabinet blade razor - 30g, perfect balance, substantial resin scales and very good looking!

Just as with the Dovo Shavette it’s easy to modify the blade insert of the Tondeo to accept the Chinese cabinet blades as well - you just slice of the central blade retaining nub inside the insert and then the outermost nubs will accept and keep secure both the Dovo/Tondeo cabinet blades and the Chinese 77 long blades.
Ha ha - I love this razor:
ED5F7AAE-6F1F-425E-A83E-508A76488FEA.jpeg

And again !
This Tondeo Sifter Style is a great looking, great feeling, great shaving razor.
It’s really gorgeous actually:
F92F14A1-F4F2-4A09-B68B-622FD7F8EAAB.jpeg

[The Sedef's] head is long enough to fit a Feather blade but I am not sure if it had another centimeter to accept 6cm Antelope blades. I will check when I get home.;)
Here's a pic of my Sedef loaded with an uncut Antelope blade. The Sedef holds the blade so tightly that I can pick any exposure I want. Tomorrow's shave will look like this:
proxy.php

After skipping three days, it was time to break out the Feather SS.
I used a layer of Cremo before applying my soap. The results: perfection.

Oct 2: The Surprisingly Versatile Sedef Shavette

Razor: Sedef shavette
Blade: Antelope Super-77 [23]

Yes, it's not a typo - I used the long cabinet blade in the Sedef shavette, and it fits beautifully with no alterations (see pic a few posts up). The beauty of this razor is that it holds the blade so tight that I can pick my own exposure, from mild to wild, depending on my mood. I might trim the blade with scissors to improve the aesthetics, or I might not.

Wonderful wonderful shave today. All the benefits of a long bladed straight razor, but is a paper-thin head profile. BBS everywhere (and no irritation) without even trying for it. I almost PIFed this razor a few weeks ago, but now it's not going anywhere.

Yes, it's not a typo - I used the long cabinet blade in the Sedef shavette, and it fits beautifully with no alterations (see pic a few posts up). The beauty of this razor is that it holds the blade so tight that I can pick my own exposure, from mild to wild, depending on my mood. I might trim the blade with scissors to improve the aesthetics, or I might not.

Wonderful wonderful shave today. All the benefits of a long bladed straight razor, but is a paper-thin head profile. BBS everywhere (and no irritation) without even trying for it. I almost PIFed this razor a few weeks ago, but now it's not going anywhere.

Good to read Rudyt that you enjoy this shavette.

I have been using mostly DE these last couple of times, but my shavettes are crying for my attention. Maybe I should get this Sedef ? :)

Superb! You are definitely the pathfinder with this Rudy...

Inspired by @JQ123 and his experiment with a Cloud shavette I returned to the Feather Custom this morning.
Basically it’s a Weck style razor but the Chinese and Japanese hair shaper blades it takes have thinner spines than the Weck/Fromm/Personna shaper blades.
285DF916-62FB-4609-A17E-EA5BC8D607F0.jpeg

I have a few razors designed for the Chinese/Japanese shaper blades which are available cheaply and abundantly from the usual sources.

Ha ha - I’d widened the jaws of the Feather Custom to accept the Personnas but then narrowed them again for the Chinese/Japanese Feather Cut blades.
I find these blades to be excellent but some people really don’t - it would seem that skin chemistry and water quality might have a big influence on how well these blades work for you.

Same with the Chinese “77” cabinet blades - there are widely differing reports on ther performance.

Anyway, just like the Wecks, this Feather Custom shave was just great!
Manouverable precise and efficient.

Oct 6: Spilo Magic Razor

Razor: Spilo Magic Razor clone (half-blade 11/16 shavette)
Blade: Bolzano Superinox half blade [32]

The Spilo Magic Razor is the quintessential shavette; cheap, utilitarian, no-frills, but most of all, comfortable and effective.

The Spilo original (made in Italy) and/or the Master Barber version (made in Pakistan) are available at Sally Beauty or Amazon for $10-15. The no-name clones like I have (made in China) are available from AliExpress and eBay from many many vendors for about $2 shipped.

Like the Sextoblade, I can see beginners picking this one up and being horribly frustrated because it has so much blade exposure and no safety, but it's such a good shaver once you get some experience.
proxy.php

I missed shaving today with one of my shavettes. I have been using a de Razor constantly these last 3 months.

So it was time for my most loved shavette, the Universal one. I thought I had forgotten how to use a shavette, but I proved myself wrong. A comfort shave.
IMG_20181007_172451-picsay.jpg

Oct 6: Spilo Magic Razor

Razor: Spilo Magic Razor clone (half-blade 11/16 shavette)
Blade: Bolzano Superinox half blade [32]

The Spilo Magic Razor is the quintessential shavette; cheap, utilitarian, no-frills, but most of all, comfortable and effective.

The Spilo original (made in Italy) and/or the Master Barber version (made in Pakistan) are available at Sally Beauty or Amazon for $10-15. The no-name clones like I have (made in China) are available from AliExpress and eBay from many many vendors for about $2 shipped.

Like the Sextoblade, I can see beginners picking this one up and being horribly frustrated because it has so much blade exposure and no safety, but it's such a good shaver once you get some experience.
proxy.php

I missed shaving today with one of my shavettes. I have been using a de Razor constantly these last 3 months.

So it was time for my most loved shavette, the Universal one. I thought I had forgotten how to use a shavette, but I proved myself wrong. A comfort shave.
View attachment 918127
Classic razors Gentlemen!
It’s so good to see the shavette love in this thread!

Inspired by @JQ123 and his experiment with a Cloud shavette I returned to the Feather Custom this morning.
Basically it’s a Weck style razor but the Chinese and Japanese hair shaper blades it takes have thinner spines than the Weck/Fromm/Personna shaper blades.
View attachment 917773

I have a few razors designed for the Chinese/Japanese shaper blades which are available cheaply and abundantly from the usual sources.

Ha ha - I’d widened the jaws of the Feather Custom to accept the Personnas but then narrowed them again for the Chinese/Japanese Feather Cut blades.
I find these blades to be excellent but some people really don’t - it would seem that skin chemistry and water quality might have a big influence on how well these blades work for you.

Same with the Chinese “77” cabinet blades - there are widely differing reports on ther performance.

Anyway, just like the Wecks, this Feather Custom shave was just great!
Manouverable precise and efficient.

Yes one advantage with the hair shaper razors is that they are quite manuverable and inserting the blade is easy. you are right, the hair shaper blades have different feedback for different people. I have observed that if I use a preshave oil, most of the blades dont feel that rough, but some oils( or combinations) kill the lather capacity of shaving soap/cream. One way is to apply the pre shave oil and let it be on the skin for a while. Then use a bowl to create lather and then just paint the lather over the oiled skin. This will give two layers of protection.

I am happy that you were able to shave with the Feather Custom Razor and enjoy it.

***KEEP UP THE GOOD SHAVES***

Regards,
JQ123 (Joy Shaving on Youtube)

I am happy that you were able to shave with the Feather Custom Razor and enjoy it.

***KEEP UP THE GOOD SHAVES***

Regards,
JQ123 (Joy Shaving on Youtube)
Thanks! And thanks for the inspiration!

For me tonight it’s the IBC with a modern Personna PTFE Injector blade.
118868D8-E677-4A6E-8A9F-2B02E1875515.jpeg

The IBC has a few design faults but it’s a very good looking razor and a superb shaver.
And those Personna PTFE Injector Blades don’t work for me at all in Injector safety razors where they are harsh and unpleasant but in shavettes they too are superb.
In other words IBC plus PTFE Injector blade is a perfect shaving combination.

Top Bottom