What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Excellent write up 👍 personally I never tried a shavette or straight but I'm definitely interested in giving it a go just to find out if it's for me but it's yet another rabbit hole..where do you start? Which one to choose? A B&B member pointed me in the Focus slim AI shavette direction but honestly I'm clueless here

You can get a Feather Shavette either the SS which is the mildest or the DX which is less forgiving in folding or Kamisori for a reasonable price. Feather is the best on the market. I have both for sale.

Excellent write up 👍 personally I never tried a shavette or straight but I'm definitely interested in giving it a go just to find out if it's for me but it's yet another rabbit hole..where do you start? Which one to choose? A B&B member pointed me in the Focus slim AI shavette direction but honestly I'm clueless here
There are some eBay specials mentioned in this thread, Kurenai brand but sold all over the place these days. They will be fine for an introduction to the AC blade type razors. Not as perfect as the Kai or Feathers, for example, but should last a long time anyway.
There are also some cheaper ones in this thread but you'll have to read through to find them. The Zazor uses DE blades, but it's a wonderful razor that I can personally vouch for. (My favourite for build, balance, quality, is the Kai Captain standard. I had an Excelia but let it go).

The Focus Slim is a fairly forging shavette, based on the way it holds the blade. I personally did not find it to be very ergonomic, but it is definitely one of the safer shavettes for a newbie.

There is also the less costly R21, which is equally safe and forgiving. I agree with @Bluebriz that the KureNai is also a great option. I also agree that the Kai Captain (which takes only AC blades) is probably the best overall shavette I have (and I have many)

... also agree that the Kai Captain (which takes only AC blades) is probably the best overall shavette I have (and I have many)
I have the KAI captain clone - how does it compare with the original ?

Shaving experience wise .

Prices vary in Euro-land for the original.

I have seen it sell for prices in the 130-155 Euro range .

I have the KAI captain clone - how does it compare with the original ?

Shaving experience wise .

Prices vary in Euro-land for the original.

I have seen it sell for prices in the 130-155 Euro range .
The clone is very similar, with the main difference being blade exposure. The clones typically have a fair bit more.

Also, if you get the clones in black color, they have a painted finish, rather than a plated finish.

In the US, the genuine Kai Captain can be found in ebay or Amazon for about 80 USD.

The clone is very similar, with the main difference being blade exposure. The clones typically have a fair bit more.

Also, if you get the clones in black color, they have a painted finish, rather than a plated finish.

In the US, the genuine Kai Captain can be found in ebay or Amazon for about 80 USD.
Thanks - much cheaper in the U.S. like many other things.

Do you have the feather SR ? If so, how does it compare with the original KAI.

I have the SR and had a KAI original. The SR is in my opinion one of the best shavettes out there. Feather really go it right with the SR. The KAI is a good razor but not on the par with the SR.

The Focus Slim is a fairly forging shavette, based on the way it holds the blade. I personally did not find it to be very ergonomic, but it is definitely one of the safer shavettes for a newbie.

There is also the less costly R21, which is equally safe and forgiving. I agree with @Bluebriz that the KureNai is also a great option. I also agree that the Kai Captain (which takes only AC blades) is probably the best overall shavette I have (and I have many)
It's funny that you mentioned the R21 because I have one of those heading my way as we speak.

Actually, scratch that, I don't. It's in my basket on eBay, but I do have a couple of clones heading my way - one IBC clone and one Razorine, I think. I'll share pics here along with some thoughts once I've had a chance to use them both.

Sure I'll get the R21 someday, though....

It's funny that you mentioned the R21 because I have one of those heading my way as we speak.

Actually, scratch that, I don't. It's in my basket on eBay, but I do have a couple of clones heading my way - one IBC clone and one Razorine, I think. I'll share pics here along with some thoughts once I've had a chance to use them both.

Sure I'll get the R21 someday, though....
If it is the Yaqi IBC clone that you are expecting, let me help manage your expectations....

The thick metal scales weight at leaset twice as much as the razor, making the weight distribution horrendous. You will want to rescale it or grip ot and use it like a non-folding razor. I slid on the grip from my CJB razor.

20211016_132253_(1).jpg

I am curious how the Razorine knockoff works out. I think their handle is a much bettwr design than both the classic or "Premium" Razorine. I found the original Razorine to be way too head heavy, which is why I prefer the Zazor.

Thanks - much cheaper in the U.S. like many other things.

Do you have the feather SR ? If so, how does it compare with the original KAI.
I have yet to try the Feather SR. It's on my list, but I am not quite ready to spend $100+ to try it out.

I have both folding and non-folding Feather DX, non-folding SS, a vintage Feather Pro razor, and several clones and other AC compatible razors. The Kai Captain is my hands-down favorite in the folding variety.

The blade exposure, profile, long tail, jimps, and general weight balance make it very easy to control, in my experience. I also find that it best replicates the shave I would get with a traditional straight, which is what I started on before getting into shavettes.

I would love to try the Feather SR, as I see it as a comprimise between the DX and SS. I would also like to try a Kai Luffy, which I expect to be comparable.

I have yet to try the Feather SR. It's on my list, but I am not quite ready to spend $100+ to try it out.

I have both folding and non-folding Feather DX, non-folding SS, a vintage Feather Pro razor, and several clones and other AC compatible razors. The Kai Captain is my hands-down favorite in the folding variety.

The blade exposure, profile, long tail, jimps, and general weight balance make it very easy to control, in my experience. I also find that it best replicates the shave I would get with a traditional straight, which is what I started on before getting into shavettes.

I would love to try the Feather SR, as I see it as a comprimise between the DX and SS. I would also like to try a Kai Luffy, which I expect to be comparable.
Thank you for your reply.

I am too considering the feather SR , but the price in Euro-land is around € 130 .

Seems a lot to pay when the clone KAI kamisori shavette is so good at a tenth of the price ....lol

T
If it is the Yaqi IBC clone that you are expecting, let me help manage your expectations....

The thick metal scales weight at leaset twice as much as the razor, making the weight distribution horrendous. You will want to rescale it or grip ot and use it like a non-folding razor. I slid on the grip from my CJB razor.

View attachment 1358225

I am curious how the Razorine knockoff works out. I think their handle is a much bettwr design than both the classic or "Premium" Razorine. I found the original Razorine to be way too head heavy, which is why I prefer the ZazoThat's dis

View attachment 1358225

I am curious how the Razorine knockoff works out. I think their handle is a much bettwr design than both the classic or "Premium" Razorine. I found the original Razorine to be way too head heavy, which is why I prefer the Zazor.
Well, that's disappointing because I don't like non folding razors and don't have any grips to use. On the upside, I've never used the original razor....
As for the Razorine knock-off, well, again, I've never used the original. I love the Zazor, and have about five or six of them!

I have the SR and had a KAI original. The SR is in my opinion one of the best shavettes out there. Feather really go it right with the SR. The KAI is a good razor but not on the par with the SR.
But have you tried the Kai Luffy? Or maybe it’s clone the Mythus? It does have a bump on the end like the Feather SS, but the bump is very, very small, allowing a steeper angle.
I was wondering whether the new Feather SR was essentially the same as the Kai Luffy? Anybody know?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I was wondering whether the new Feather SR was essentially the same as the Kai Luffy? Anybody know?

About as similar as two things made by two different companies can be, I suppose -- not meaning any snark.

I have a Kasho Woody, which is pretty close to the old Luffy I believe; and I also have a Feather SR. The physical differences between them are that the Kasho is a western-style folder and the SR is a kamisori style. Mainly, I have several western-style folding shavettes (Parker SRX, "Sally SS," Kai Luffy clone, Focus Slim Al, Kasho Woody) and decided to see if the kamisori style was all that and a pack of chips for me. Turns out I like the kamisori style a bit better than the folders but I'm also thinking that I need to spend a bit of time with some of them soon now that we're done some of the "games" for various razor styles.

The Kasho Woody and the Feather SR appear to my highly calibrated eyeballs to have about the same amount of "bulb" on the edge. I'm not sure whether it's the design or the kamisori form factor, but the SR feels "safer" than any of the others when I'm hacking away on the back of my skull and can't see what's happening.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
As for the Razorine knock-off, well, again, I've never used the original. I love the Zazor, and have about five or six of them!

I wanted to try one. I had a premium Razorine for a while, but it was a challenge for me. Someone else is now using it to work on their "Gallon Club" pin. :)

Kidding aside, I found that the Razorine "head" doesn't put much tension on the blade. That lets the blade edge jink around, which for me meant that it would grab onto hair ATG and that would "pull" the edge down into my skin. The little skinny handle on the Razorine didn't help since it's right on the same axis as the "head" when it catches and turns.

I've got an old Peroni ball-joint razor and the head on that thing has the exact same design as the Razorine head. I now keep it as an historical curiosity, having also gotten bucked off that one trying to use it.

I have been curious about the RazoRock Switch but fear that again the head is not putting much clamp on the blade. A version of the Switch made with the BBS head, now, that could get interesting.

O.H.

About as similar as two things made by two different companies can be, I suppose -- not meaning any snark.

I have a Kasho Woody, which is pretty close to the old Luffy I believe; and I also have a Feather SR. The physical differences between them are that the Kasho is a western-style folder and the SR is a kamisori style. Mainly, I have several western-style folding shavettes (Parker SRX, "Sally SS," Kai Luffy clone, Focus Slim Al, Kasho Woody) and decided to see if the kamisori style was all that and a pack of chips for me. Turns out I like the kamisori style a bit better than the folders but I'm also thinking that I need to spend a bit of time with some of them soon now that we're done some of the "games" for various razor styles.

The Kasho Woody and the Feather SR appear to my highly calibrated eyeballs to have about the same amount of "bulb" on the edge. I'm not sure whether it's the design or the kamisori form factor, but the SR feels "safer" than any of the others when I'm hacking away on the back of my skull and can't see what's happening.

O.H.
Thanks. I, too, have the Kai Kasho woody, and to my eye just looking at pictures, it seemed like it would be pretty darn similar to the SR. I'm glad, though, to have confirmation from somebody who can and has actually looked at them side-by-side.
I really enjoy the Kai Kasho.

Hello Rob,
Came across this comparison earlier ( nice collection)

Also this one ( I don't know if the guy is a member here )

Top Bottom