What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I have the same opinion - it's definitely manageable, but it just feels like one of those super-wide rakes vs the normal one that everyone has.

Everyone seems to rave about Proline P-30 blades. Does anyone have both the Proline and the Feather AC Pro Super blades? If so, can you put them side by side and tell me which is wider. I buy the Supers because they're wider and I like the extra exposure in my Feather SS. I'd try the Prolines if they are wider than standard AC blades like the Pros.
I have the Prolines and the ProGuards. I could put them side by side to see if the Proline is wider. I honestly don't think it is, though. I think they are the same width (in other words, they would have the same amount of blade exposure).

OK, so today was a momentous Feather SS shave, kind of. It was my 50th. Mind you it's only my ninth this year; I had 41 of them between December 30 of 2017 and February of 2018. But still, 50 shaves is 50 shaves, right?

And a good one it was, too. For lather, I used a cheap soap (Razorock What the Puck? in the Orange Sunrise scent). I actually had this soap PIF'd to me by somebody who hated the scent. I love it.

I haven't used it in a while because I'm a bit of a lather snob. I always have to have the densest, creamiest tallow lather with a boatload of added butters, etc., etc. When I used the What the Puck? soap before I noticed that the lather wasn't very dense; much airier than the soaps I normally use. Also, it's a non-tallow soap, so how could it be any good, right?

Well, I lathered it carefully and slowly, trying to decrease the amount of air that got added to the lather. It still puffed up a lot more than my usual soaps. Oh well, I said to myself, give it a go.

Amazingly smooth and comfortable shave. Sure, the lather LOOKED different from what I normally use, but it performed very well. So I think I have a bias in my head that a lather has to look a certain way in order to produce a good shave, but today's shave proved that it's not true. It looked lighter, fluffier, and airier than my tallow lathers, but it shaved every bit as well. Slick and smooth, comfortable, no nicks/weepers. Post-shave face feel definitely not like my expensive artisan soaps, but it wasn't horrible.

It was shave number 8 on this ProGuard blade, and it still cut very smoothly and without any added pressure. So I'll stick with this blade for another few shaves until I notice it degrading. If I can consistently get 10 shaves out of one blade, I'll be a happy camper.

Anyway, another fantastic Feather SS shave. Love this razor!

Amazingly smooth and comfortable shave. Sure, the lather LOOKED different from what I normally use, but it performed very well. So I think I have a bias in my head that a lather has to look a certain way in order to produce a good shave, but today's shave proved that it's not true.
Welcome to the Enlightened Side! On thing that I’ve found with straight shaving is very wet lathers, which by their nature don’t look very photogenic, are the best with a straight. My yardstick is the lather needs to readily fall off the blade with the tap trickling right at the point where drops become a thin steady stream. Thick (but visually satisfying) lather doesn’t fall off easy - it forms a “dam” on the blade and only falls off once enough water collects.

Congrats on the half-century!

As I've posted previously, my Feather shavette razors and blades are the ultimate in current shaving performance and comfort!!

razorock xxx rooney feather proraso sandalwood august 20 2019.jpg
feather proguard-4990-Edit.jpg
feather proguard blade.jpg
feather soft guard blade.jpg

Everyone seems to rave about Proline P-30 blades. Does anyone have both the Proline and the Feather AC Pro Super blades? If so, can you put them side by side and tell me which is wider. I buy the Supers because they're wider and I like the extra exposure in my Feather SS. I'd try the Prolines if they are wider than standard AC blades like the Pros.

I have and use them both. Actually the difference is marginal, fractions of mm, hundredth of an inch: the Schick Proline seems wider by about 0,2 - 0,3 mm. But what is more important (for me): the Schick feels - I have no instruments to measure accurately - also thicker or more rigid, and the bevel of its edge is also wider by approximately 0.2mm than that of the AC Pro Super.

For me that makes a huge lot of difference in the shaving experience: while the AC Pro and Super have more longevity, they give me a bit harsher feeling on the face and somewhat limited range in the comfortable and safe angle of attack compared to the Schicks. In a really slim and flat holder, like the KAI Captain or the DX, when I hold the blade almost flat on my face, the Feathers do not cut or go tuggy, while the Schick P-30 still effectively and very very smoothly mows away even half-a-day stubble. The other extreme is: if my angle of attach is steeper than 30 degrees (under my nose or under the jawbone) the Pro Super is a very little bit more prone to nick into the skin or skip.

The Schicks give me the comfort, control and blade feel more similar to my SR (western grind custom 'kamisori' transformed from a Gold Dollar by a real artisan).

But I guess such minor degree of difference is rather subjective than scientific, and depends on a whole lot of other factors: the strength / density of one's hair, the type and consistency of soap one uses (I prefer slickness over cushioning) or your preferred direction of cut (I prefer WTG, then ATG if I shave for a special event or just in the mood to chase that elusive BBS on my half-century old weatherbeaten skin...).

Both blades are excellent.

Yesterday morning's shave, the 9th with this ProGuard, tugged a little bit. I found myself using a bit more pressure than I'd like to, so I decided to put a fresh blade into the razor.

That gave me a chance to compare the size of the ProGuard side-by-side with a Schick Proline. The Feather ProGuard is actually a tiny bit WIDER than the Proline, not narrower. So if you want MORE exposure, the Proline would not be the blade for you.

I do find the Proline to be sharp and smooth; my favorite blade for the Colonial General. Might also be an awesome choice for a Feather DX shavette. It works fine in the SS, but requires an even steeper (wider) angle because it doesn't protrude as much as the ProGuard does.

I have never tried any of the other Feather branded AC blades in my SS, so I can't compare just yet. Planning on getting some samples from try-a-blade eventually.

The Feather ProGuard is actually a tiny bit WIDER than the Proline, not narrower. So if you want MORE exposure, the Proline would not be the blade for you.
Thanks to you and @Baloo for the comparison. I think I’ll be sticking with the Pro Supers for the extra exposure over the Proline.

I've heard a lot of people say that the Feather AC blades are a bit harsh on the first shave or two but then become smooth.

Well, that wasn't my experience this morning. I loaded up a brand new blade and went at it. Man, if anything, this shave was smoother than with the old blade.

Yes, the blade was wicked sharp. But it didn't feel harsh at all. I just used a really light touch. On the second pass on the neck it was again almost like magic. I was removing the lather with such a light touch that I could honestly barely even feel the blade! Yet I could hear the stubble being mowed down. That feeling is why I love the Feather SS so much. I almost NEVER get that feeling with a DE or an SE.

Still getting along great with my Feather SS. New-ish ProGuard blade just had its fourth shave this morning. Smooth and comfortable. Loving it.

Still using the Feather SS. Still working on certain areas, including the corners of the mouth/mustache area and certain difficult spots on the chin.

This morning I did a different stretch for the XTG pass on the chin with good results. I would like to get to the point where I don't feel like I need any kind of DE clean-up at all (I've been doing a bit in just those two difficult areas). It is improving, but I think it will be at least a few more shaves before I get it completely smooth. The area that is the hardest is the corners of the mustache area, especially on the right. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how I'm going to get that place. The hairs are coarse, densely packed, and lying nearly flat, and the underlying skin is pretty sensitive.

I'm open to suggestions from long-time shavette users about how to get this area without irritating my skin.

try putting your finger in your mouth and stretch outward.

I prefer tongue in cheek to finger in mouth :-} or think about blowing out the candles on your birthday cake when you turn 99...

On a more serious note: I have the same problem in the left side of my moustache. I leave the problem area(s) last in each round (so that prep and lather can work on them longer). I do +1 WTG there, and some blade buffing at the end of the last round. If I must. But for the everyday DFS I don't care. It does not worth the risk of irritation or cutting into mustache/goatee.

Still getting along great with my Feather SS. New-ish ProGuard blade just had its fourth shave this morning. Smooth and comfortable. Loving it.
I'm a long time user of the Pro Super blades, and coincidentally, had my fourth shave with a Pro Guard today.

The good news is that they seem to have the extra exposure that the Pro Supers have, so I can get the shallow angle I prefer.

The bad news is that every shave drew blood - one or two tiny weepers power shave. Not good.

Today I figured out why. My technique "slides" the blade while taking a stroke - think Gillette Slide or a slant razor, instead of the blade edge being perfectly perpendicular to the direction of travel. Those little blade guards are not meant to go sideways.

I'll give it a few more shaves before ditching the Pro Guards forever and going back to my favorite Pro Supers.

So this morning I shaved with the Feather SS again but loaded up with a brand new Proline blade. I have been using ProGuards in it. Day before yesterday was my 8th shave on a ProGuard, and again it felt like it was dulling a bit, so I switched out to the fresh Proline.

Foolishly, I worried a little bit about using the Proline after using the ProGuard for so long, wondering if I needed the guarded blade.

All I can say about this morning's shave is WOW. On the first stroke the difference between the 8-shave ProGuard and the fresh Schick Proline was astounding. What a smooth, comfortable, and efficient shave! One pass and the cheeks were almost already DFS. I don't know why I went back and did a second pass anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was only because it was so fun to glide this razor with this blade in it across my face.

Now I don't know whether the difference was mostly because the ProGuard was 8 shaves old or whether the Schick Proline is just that much better a blade.

My original plan was to use the ProGuards until they were gone, while building proficiency with the razor, and then switch to Prolines. Now I guess I'll go back and forth, Proline until it's dulling, then ProGuard, then Proline, etc. I don't want to waste the ProGuards. But the shave this morning was so.much.smoother!

For Christmas I'm going to ask Santa for a variety of blades from tryablade.com, because now I'm really intrigued as to what other blades may bring to the party.

Anyway, just a fantastic shave this morning.

Just had one of the best shaves yet. Proline on its second shave.

I'm beta-testing a shave cream for Gentleman's Quarter, so I used that for the software. Not much of a cream guy, and immediately at the start of lathering this stuff got really bubbly. I thought it was going to be a bad lather. But I kept at it for a bit. Looked airy and fluffy like it would break down quickly, but I applied it and it didn't break down.

Didn't look like a good lather, but man, was this lather slick. I went at it with the Feather SS with a very light touch and was rewarded with a smooth, comfortable shave. I'm getting better and better with this shavette. I don't feel the need for a guarded blade at all. I don't even know if I'm going to use the rest of the ones I bought. I like the Proline so much better.

Maybe somebody will trade me some Kai or Feather or Schick unguarded AC blades for a pack of ProGuards. Who knows?

I watched a video of a Turkish barber shaving a guy on YouTube, and mimicked his quick, light touch moves with the SS. Worked great.

Try CJB (ebay ~$20) or Univinlions (Aliexpress ~$10 w/ blades) for a fixed-handle AC blade holder
I finally got my Univinlions non-folding AC blade razor and forgot to post my first shave report.

Oct 9: New Razor - Non-Folding Kai Captain Clone

Lather:
Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife
Brush: Semogue 620 (21/50mm)
Razor: Univinlions non-folding AC razor (clone)
Blade: Feather Artist Club ProGuard [5]
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 After Shave Balm

New shavette today, my first real kamisori - the Univinlions Kai Captain clone from AliExpress. US$8.53 with free shipping. The razor feels good in the hand due to its padded rubber handle, but once I got to shaving, it felt unnatural. I had to make a conscious effort to not let the handle touch my lathered skin when shaving near the ears, forcing an angle that didn't make full contact with the face. I definitely need to unlearn my folding straight technique and tailor it to this razor. I like new challenges, and am looking forward to mastering this razor style.

I still managed two weepers, but they were not due to the unfamiliar razor. It's those annoying ProGuard blades, which I an starting to loathe. I fished out my old discarded Pro Super blade with 30+ shaves on it out of the blade bank and will use that for the next few shaves. If I get no weepers, I'm PIFing away my remaining stock of ProGuards.

I finally got my Univinlions non-folding AC blade razor and forgot to post my first shave report.

Oct 9: New Razor - Non-Folding Kai Captain Clone

Lather:
Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife
Brush: Semogue 620 (21/50mm)
Razor: Univinlions non-folding AC razor (clone)
Blade: Feather Artist Club ProGuard [5]
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 After Shave Balm

New shavette today, my first real kamisori - the Univinlions Kai Captain clone from AliExpress. US$8.53 with free shipping. The razor feels good in the hand due to its padded rubber handle, but once I got to shaving, it felt unnatural. I had to make a conscious effort to not let the handle touch my lathered skin when shaving near the ears, forcing an angle that didn't make full contact with the face. I definitely need to unlearn my folding straight technique and tailor it to this razor. I like new challenges, and am looking forward to mastering this razor style.

I still managed two weepers, but they were not due to the unfamiliar razor. It's those annoying ProGuard blades, which I an starting to loathe. I fished out my old discarded Pro Super blade with 30+ shaves on it out of the blade bank and will use that for the next few shaves. If I get no weepers, I'm PIFing away my remaining stock of ProGuards.
This is a classic example of YMMV. I don't have the Feather Proguards, but I do have the Kai Protouch guarded blades, which are essentially the same thing. I almost have to try to nick myself or scrape out a weeper. My only worry with the guarded blade is that if I use them too much, I may get careless with the unguarded blades.

For now, I use the Protouch blades when I need a quick shave.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got your Univinlions razor. I've used mine about three times with no issues. One shave was with the included Chinese blades (which are....mehhh). The other two with Feather Pro Supers. My only criticism is that the glossy black finish on mine is painted. Minor thing, obviously, and it has no influence on the shave quality.

Attachments

• Tue Sep 24 20-07-24.jpg
    Tue Sep 24 20-07-24.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 12
@RumpleBearskin,

After getting somewhat proficient with half-DE shavettes and that exact blade, I migrated to AC-type blade shavettes. Nowadays, anytime I try to shave with a half-DE (which is seldom), I have to be super careful to avoid nicks & weepers. That speaks volumes about the ease of use and forgiving nature of AC-type blades (although there are quite a few blade types available with different benefits/drawbacks). So I would recommend going that route if these blades keep "biting" you.

That said, I did just order a pack of the Vincent Sigma blades. They are single-edge blades that are designed to fit half-DE shavettes. They are considerably thicker than standard DE blades, but they are designed to fit most shavettes (probably not the Focus Slim though). I'll post a review once I've shaved with one. It may give me a reason to bring half-DE shavettes back into the rotation, and it may be a solution for you.

proxy.php

Any news on this blade?

Any news on this blade?
Thanks for reminding me. I got them in but haven't had a chance to review them. My first impression is that while they are noticeably thicker than a standard DE, they are nowhere close to the thickness of an injector or AC blade. the other thing I noticed is that they will not work in the Dovo shavette insert, nor will they fit a shavette that uses a slide-out mechanism (see first photo below). It appears that they are designed to work with shavettes that using a clamping mechanism similar to the Parker SR1 (see second photo below)

I did a quick shave with the blade, but I want to have a few days of beard growth to get a complete picture of how they perform.

magic.jpg

SR1_alt2__00495.jpg

Top Bottom