What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I've never seen beauty supply stores around here (I live in Japan) but Amazon Japan might have some....

I'm not sure where in Japan you are but a quick search showed me that there a quite a few Sally Beauty Supply stores all over the country. They should easily have them.

I'm not sure where in Japan you are but a quick search showed me that there a quite a few Sally Beauty Supply stores all over the country. They should easily have them.

Really? I've never seen one (not that i've been looking before) in 6 and a half years here. I assumed it was an "only in America" company.
Guess that'll teach me not to assume anything!
Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

It makes me feel really good to hear that technique worked for you too. Maybe we should give this unique buffing it's own name. There is already a "Gillette slide" so how about the "Duplex shuffle"? :biggrin1:

Seriously though, whoever designed these 100 + years ago really knew what they were doing. I honestly think that what killed them was Gillette getting the military contract for the WWI field kits.

And I'm glad you at least have some source for a usable blade with the Ever Readys. I tried to do some research on the manufacturer and couldn't dig up much, I suspect they might be custom made by Stanley in Sheffield but am not quite sure.

Needless to say, what was once this odd contraption mixed in with the razors I'd see at flea markets has really become a new favorite. I just hope these don't do on e-bay what the Dubl Ducks did.
Yeah- let's do the Duplex Shuffle :biggrin1:
...And 12 hours on it's still definitely one of the best shaves I've ever had.
Now to find a good cheap UK source for the blades...

...I thought I'd see if anyone at the modern Durham Duplex had a sense of humour (and history), so I sent off the Demonstrator offer complete with 1 shilling:

$DDrazorletter.jpg

They were courteous and professional enough to reply, although clearly the 80 yr old offer of a Demonstrator kit for 5p had long expired:

$DDreply.jpg

I also read in another thread that when Durham Duplex stopped making hairdressing equipment in the 1970s, they transferred the rights to Ever Ready.
So those Ever Ready blades are the real deal and a direct continuation of the original DD blades, although they lack the small hole on one side of the blade plane which makes it a lot easier to differentiate edges on the original blade.

I can't find a source for the Personna pathology blades in UK or for the Stanley/Bostitch carpet blades (all the UK carpet blades seem to be trapezoid!) but I did find a company in Bristol UK who also have an outlet in Houston USA who make blades of the right size, and they may be sending me some samples. Their blades clock in at around £50 for 1000, but that's the smallest quantity they supply so if they're any good maybe we could put together a small group buy.

Best bet for price seems to be the Dog Dresser blades- I can get 5 for £2.40 unbranded or 10 for £5.50 Durham Duplex branded.
I've got five of the unbranded on the way, so we'll see if they're sharp enough.
I'm wondering how many shaves I can get out of each carbon steel blade with stropping on the DD horsehide strop after each shave, and honing on a slate hone when the blades are really tired.
I can normally only get three good shaves out of a stainless DE blade like an Israeli Personna, so the higher price of the Duplex blades may well give a comparable (or better) price per shave anyway.
I'm already on the third shave with an Ever Ready blade and it's still good :thumbup1:

For my second full Durham Duplex shave I tried the Kamisori Comb configuration:

$DDkamisoricomb.jpg

That "kamisori" handle is small, manouvreable and comfortable in the hand but I prefer the folding handle and the way that the scales act as a counterbalance to the grip.

For the third shave tonight I went for folding handle with comb attachment and this is definitely my favourite configuration.
It's been a long day so it was quick, casual and a CCS.

Like Bluebriz's worry tthat shavettes might screw up his straights experience, I'm slightly concerned that the Durham Duplex is killing my RAD and making me overconfident with technique.
I just don't want to shave with anything else at the moment and the superlative geometry of the comb makes it easy to wield that very long, verysharp, very exposed blade in a very casual way :ohmy:

Last edited:
The Bristol company appears to be a distributor rather than a manufacturer, these still could be no sharper than an industrial or carpet blade.
I have tried the Ever Ready blades but apart from one eBayer, they are quite expensive or hard to find.

I have both a Parker and a Durham. I'll be using the Parker for a week straight soon, trying to improve my technique. I'll probably do the same with the Durham once I get some good blades for it.
I'm glad this group was created and I'm looking forward to learning more about these razors.

There is nothing quite as exhilarating as a SABRE charge!

I got a Sedef from a vendor to try out in exchange of a review. The vendor included a pack of Derby Professional blades.

First try today, and the immediate impression is that I prefer my straights.
The blade is not as long as the razor "head" which makes the corners of the blade protrude in a way that it increase the risk of cutting yourself.
Maybe it will get better as I get to know it.

From today's shave
proxy.php

Wow, a DE blade with that much exposure! I think I'd pass. Reminds me of the chopstick kamisori.

I got a Sedef from a vendor to try out in exchange of a review. The vendor included a pack of Derby Professional blades.

First try today, and the immediate impression is that I prefer my straights.
The blade is not as long as the razor "head" which makes the corners of the blade protrude in a way that it increase the risk of cutting yourself.
Maybe it will get better as I get to know it.
There's a thread on loading the Sedef here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/164483-How-To-Load-A-Sedef-Tutorial-(with-pics)

It suggests snapping the corners off the halfblade before loading.
It looks fierce :scared:
I have been considering getting a Sedef myself so am very interested in your experiences with it

I have a Durham Duplex on the way, the kamisori style made initially for dog grooming. I also have a small stash of the Personna pathology blades. One it gets here I'll give it a try and a review. I've never used a kamisori style razor at all, so this will be an interesting experience.

I still have a nice DD set on my bucket list to pick up.

Aaargh! The ShAD/BRAD/SABRAD is on me!!!!!
Just ordered a Sedef after being inspired by shm's photo :thumbup1:

Got a fourth great shave from the same Ever Ready blade in the Durham Duplex (Folding Comb configuration) tonight.
The company timeline page on the Durham Duplex website (as well as showing me that I've got the Albany Set) says that many soldiers were issued these razors in WW1 and maintained high brand loyalty right up until the 1940s when the cheaper thinner Gillette blades used by the G.I.s began to dominate the maket.
It also says that the blade life could be extended "almost indefinitely" by sufficient stropping and new blades were required only "every five years".

This seems like a very bold claim, but I can see their point.
Using the supplied horsehide strop (which I dressed with a bit of ASB), I've been stropping each edge 200 laps after the shave.
Although there was a slight but noticeable reduction in sharpness from shave 1 to 2, there's no apparent deterioration in blade quality from shaves 2, 3 and 4.
I wonder how long this process can be extended?

Last edited:
I couldn't get the blade further in yesterday, but thought that it couldn't be right, so I pulled a watchmakers screwdriver between the plates that holds the blade and that did wonders.
I can now load the blade with my fingers just as shown in the link above (thank you for that), and today's shave was so much better and I felt a lot more secure :001_smile

proxy.php

OK- fifth shave with that Ever Ready blade in the Durham Duplex folding comb tonight.
Still beautifully smooth and easy shaving, but to be honest not very close now- I've ended up with some very short Edwardian designer stubble :biggrin1:
Stropped the blade 200 laps each edge and am gonna try switching back to the Ordinary configuration (using the stropping attachment) next to see if the shave can get a bit closer again...

Excellent Thread, KJ !

A recent find for a buck at a junk store.
I really like this Kamisori style, key looking, shavette thangamajig. The ergonomic handle is just super for me but this thing demands a light hand to reward you with very close DFS. I have been using Personna SE blades. I really like this thing for traveling.

$Upload-01.jpg

Last edited:
That UROWN is pretty cool looking. Clever name too. Definitely missing the original open comb guard that would have come with it for trimming hair. But not needed for shaving. Great addition to the thread for the SABREs!

Sixth shave with that Ever Ready blade in the Durham Duplex tonight:

View attachment 362845

Going for the Ordinary configuration gave a closer shave than the Comb, but that blade is definitely done now after 6 shaves, even with lots of stropping in between.

Next stop I'm going to hone the blade and see if that can extend it's life even further...
...unless the Sedef arrives in the post tomorrow :biggrin1:

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread and the great info posted so far. As a fairly new user of shavettes (but already have collected a few different models), it's been a great read. One funny thing is that between the Dovo, Parker, & Feather SS I have, the only one that consistently nicks me so far is the Dovo with the hair shaper blade. I definitely need some perfecting in my technique there.

Even with honing, my Ever Ready blade couldn't make it past the sixth shave in the Durham Duplex, but then these arrived:

$IMG01306-20130828-1657.jpg

Sold as "dog dresser blades" from a petcare company on the internet- £2.40 for 5 blades.
Not as smooth as the Ever Readys, but very sharp and I got a nice close shave tonight with one of these new blades in the stropping attachment on the kamisori handle.
What a pleasure :001_smile

Top Bottom