What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I have been using Kai Protouch in my Kai Clone for 4 shaves. All have been excellent. I will try to shave with Feather Proguard next week. I made the error of not putting a Kai Mild in the basket when I bought the razors.

Shaves have been around 20 minutes with two passes. I am not getting faster. The Kai Protouch has been my most forgiven blade. I shaved last week with my Universal De razor which is very forgiving and excellent too. But I feel that the Kai razor clone + Kai Protouch is a bit better.

Instinctively I have been shaving with my dominant hand and I am getting used to it. Is this a bad habit?

Instinctively I have been shaving with my dominant hand and I am getting used to it. Is this a bad habit?
I don't see anything wrong with using your dominant hand. You want to learn the angles to hold the blade to work the different contours of your face. Over time, you may start experimenting with your other hand. If you start increasing the amount of your shave using your other hand, you will eventually be able to shave with either hand and not think about it. Being able to shave with either hand can make it easier to shave your face as some angles will be easier using one hand instead of the other. That said, there are plenty of people which just use their dominant hand and are happy with that approach. Enjoy the journey!

I don't see anything wrong with using your dominant hand. You want to learn the angles to hold the blade to work the different contours of your face. Over time, you may start experimenting with your other hand. If you start increasing the amount of your shave using your other hand, you will eventually be able to shave with either hand and not think about it. Being able to shave with either hand can make it easier to shave your face as some angles will be easier using one hand instead of the other. That said, there are plenty of people which just use their dominant hand and are happy with that approach. Enjoy the journey!
Thanks man. I have used both hands in the past. But considering that all my weepers came using the non dominant hand, I tried shaving with one hand only and I am getting perfect shaves, near BBS so far. As you said, I should enjoy my journey.

Thanks man. I have used both hands in the past. But considering that all my weepers came using the non dominant hand, I tried shaving with one hand only and I am getting perfect shaves, near BBS so far. As you said, I should enjoy my journey.
Remember from another recent thread, it was mention that on some areas you can just merely touch your unstable hand with your other hand to steady it. Obviously, that complicates stretching. Maybe something can be worked out where you use the pinky on your dominant hand to touch the top of your knuckles as you start the stroke.

I was checking prices in ebay and I found that Dx was in the same range as Sr. This makes choosing one of them a bit difficult.
If you are comparing like for like, they really shouldn't be. I wouldn't pay a penny over $150 for an SR, but if a DX can be had for a discount I would go for that. How much of a discount YOU need is up to you, but getting the wood handled one under $200 total would open my wallet. The standard DX is unfortunately worth what the MSRP is so anything less is a deal.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Maggard Razor is having a 15% off sale... the Feather DX is among the items..... code: 15BRANDS
For 48 hours.

Maggard Razor is having a 15% off sale... the Feather DX is among the items..... code: 15BRANDS
For 48 hours.

It looks like you have just enough time for two shaves to decide if you are going to buy a Feather. :a30:

Does anyone used this clone from AliExpress? Any good? How do you find it compared to the other shavettes?
S6e91e3129c8c409296a5063bd1f6ca156.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.jpg

Today I used the Feather Pro in my shavette. What a sharp blade. I was very careful and I got two tiny cuts with one error. Two pass with clean ups and I got a gold shave.

This blade was less sharp used in my Yaqi razor. I am more convinced that Kai Protouch is so much better that this one for me.

I have been using Kai Protouch in my Kai Clone for 4 shaves. All have been excellent. I will try to shave with Feather Proguard next week. I made the error of not putting a Kai Mild in the basket when I bought the razors.

Shaves have been around 20 minutes with two passes. I am not getting faster. The Kai Protouch has been my most forgiven blade. I shaved last week with my Universal De razor which is very forgiving and excellent too. But I feel that the Kai razor clone + Kai Protouch is a bit better.

Personally, I think using one hand only is a bad idea, although some guys make it work.

When I took up open blade shaving it was with an old-school straight razor, and from day 1 I used both hands, because I was told that was the thing to do. At first it was difficult, but over time, if anything, I almost shave better with my non-dominant hand; it didn’t have any bad habits to undo. I taught my non-dominant hand to shave with a straight razor, so it had to learn good habits.

At this point I can’t imagine shaving with a shavette and only using my dominant hand. I mean, I know it is doable, but I’m very glad that I stuck with using both until I got it down.

8th shave with a shavette. 7th shave with the Ac razor clone. 6th with the Kai Protouch blade. 2 passes under 14 minutes. No nicks or damage with this combo. Getting better and better. I find the design of this shavette excellent under the nose.

My dilema is this. If I start enjoying shaving with an AC shavette so much as it is now, then I have to consider the maintenance costs.

A Feather SR/DX or Kai Captain would require from 100 till 200 usd.
A pack of 150 Kai Protouch blades from Japan can go about 100-120 usd. I suppose they would last about 5 years. So the initial investment would be 200 - 300 usd.

That is not cheap unless I keep using or buying clones from AliExpress and just buying one ore 2 cartridges of blades.or I could jump on using a DE shavette,l in future. I have the excellent Universal Lama intera shavette. But man the De blades are so sharp in a shavette and so unforgiving.

I think getting a straight razor setup is not that expensive under this perspective. Straight razor have the cost of maintenance and time required. I would need a shave ready razor, a strop and a finishing stone (or a strop with paste / films/balsa strop) Plus I don't have people in my country that could help me in honing and stroping technique if something goes wrong.

What do you think friends about straight razor versus shavette, costs, time and maintenance?

8th shave with a shavette. 7th shave with the Ac razor clone. 6th with the Kai Protouch blade. 2 passes under 14 minutes. No nicks or damage with this combo. Getting better and better. I find the design of this shavette excellent under the nose.

My dilema is this. If I start enjoying shaving with an AC shavette so much as it is now, then I have to consider the maintenance costs.

A pack of 150 Kai Protouch blades from Japan can go about 100-120 usd. I suppose they would last about 5 years. So the initial investment would be 200 - 300 usd.

That is not cheap unless I keep using or buying clones from AliExpress and just buying one ore 2 cartridges of blades.or I could jump on using a DE shavette,l in future. I have the excellent Universal Lama intera shavette. But man the De blades are so sharp in a shavette and so unforgiving.

I think getting a straight razor setup is not that expensive under this perspective. Straight razor have the cost of maintenance and time required. I would need a shave ready razor, a strop and a finishing stone (or a strop with paste / films/balsa strop) Plus I don't have people in my country that could help me in honing and stroping technique if something goes wrong.

What do you think friends about straight razor versus shavette, costs, time and maintenance?
Having done both, shavette all the way imo

if you'd be willing to accept it, i've seen the SS models on amazon japan for 5000 yen, which is only 38 dollars right now. I think the SR is only about double that. Right now the yen is really weak. Kai captain standard is generally about 20% more than the SS.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

If staying with shavette style shaving and cost is your main concern, shaving with DE half-blades is probably the best way to go. DE half-blades can be less forgiving but that just means you need to improve your shaving technique.

About every 50th SR shave for me is using a Chinese generic stainless steel shavette type SR with a half Feather DE blade. After the first couple of shaves with this setup, I stopped slickening my lather with blood.

Moving to a traditional straight razor is going to cost you a minimum of about USD 150 to USD 200. You will need a shave-ready SR, strop and set of diamond pasted balsa strops. That setup should last you a few decades. By then you will need to buy more balsa and diamond paste. You won't need lapping films. There is a learning curve going from a shavette to a traditional SR. Instructions can he found here:

If located outside of CONUS/Canada, interested in traditional SR shaving and you are not in a rush, this PIF may be for you:

Last edited:
Top Bottom