What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

To those who’ve done so before me, would a Mythus or other standard AC-format barber razor be able to safely use a half DE blade?
It would be better to use a Japanese style shavette made for half-DE blades. They are inexpensive and come in folding and kamisori styles. This one

Attachments

• 20211221_104335.jpg
    20211221_104335.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 14
Hello. New for me wilkinson sword blades. Below are packing photos and comparison with kai titan mild. Used them several times in my razors. Who knows which razors they were used in? Thank you.
That is a heck of a find. I can't seem to find any info on them. The only vintage SE razors I can find from Wilkinson are either GEM or their "bonded blade" system.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Ever feel able to resist anything but temptation? Got two Sedef barber razors coming in a day or two. Should be able to shave more shallow with them than my Mythus barber razor without having to rely on honing talent I haven’t developed.

Ok, I finally did it. I pulled the trigger on a Feather Artist Club SS this morning. As I'm currently in the restock period of the annual restraint I figured I add something that I've been meaning to try for several years now. Once it arrives and get up the courage to try it I'll post some updates.
Hey, have you started using your new SS yet?

The Feather SS arrived yesterday. So I tried my hand at it this morning. Not a great first experience, but I'll try again. I started with the Feather ProGaurd blade and it seemed like it was tugging on the guard wire, so I swapped that out for a Kai Captain mild blade and that did better. I nicked myself twice, and wasn't confident in trying to go ATG this morning. So I still need a shave, however in the directions I did shave my face feels fairly smooth. I just need to work on the angle as I think I was much too steep - it felt rough.

I tried the Feather Artist Club against this morning - only focusing on the cheeks and finishing the rest of the shave with a DE razor. I loaded the Feather ProGuard blade again and used a much shallower angle to match the "cheeks" on the blade holder and had a marvelous experience this morning. I shaved both WTG and XTG with the Feather on my cheeks and they are so incredibly smooth that I'm not sure BBS is an accurate term any longer.

The ProGuard blade, while nice to establish confidence with the razor, isn't my favorite. It didn't tug this morning as the angle was right, but it obscures the sound of whiskers being cut as the guard wire makes a similar sound as it travels across skin.

Gentlemen,

Just came on here again to post another milestone shave. Yesterday evening was my 500th replaceable blade straight razor shave! I had somewhere north of 250 traditional straight razor shaves prior to the “shavette” shaves, so now my total of open blade shaves is more than 750.

Honestly I don’t even know why I am still counting, although it did feel good to get to 500. Now that I’ve come this far, I may as well keep counting until I get to 750, which would put me at over a thousand open-blade shaves. Somehow the number 1000 feels substantial enough to get me to quit counting, lol.

My replaceable-blade straight razor collection is currently at only 4 razors, which I rotate evenly. My first was the Feather SS, which I used last night (only seemed fitting). My second was the Mythus, which is currently out getting re-scaled (I will post pics when I get it back). My third was the Kai Kasho woody, which is a fantastic razor. My fourth was the Feather SR, which is my newest addition. It requires a slightly different technique and I am still just getting better at it (the other three are substantially similar to each other).

I love my Mythus razor. Takes AC blades. Has a tiny lip at the edge, smaller than that of the Feather SS, slightly larger than that of the Feather SR; almost exactly the same as the Kai Luffy or Kai Kasho Woody. More blade exposure than the Feather SS or SR.
Just a really nice little shaver, and cheap as chips (as they say in Great Britain). I bought mine online from CBL soaps, but I don't know if they still carry them.

Edit: Just went and checked, and not only are they available, but they are currently on sale, insanely cheap. $13 for the ones with bright colored scales, $15 for the one with black scales. I may pick up another one just to have a different color, lol. At that price, why not? My wife may kill me, but other than that, what's to lose?
The cbl soap wouldn't ship to my country. Does anyone know another shop that sells Mythus razor, like in Aliexpress?

The cbl soap wouldn't ship to my country. Does anyone know another shop that sells Mythus razor, like in Aliexpress?
I am not sure whether Aliexpress carries the Mythus or not. If you search for their clone shavettes and look through the pictures, you might be able to find one. The "blade" part of the razor looks like a Japanese santoku knife, with little areas that are scalloped out (the way they make knives so that vegetables won't stick to the blade but will fall away onto the cutting board). The Mythus, specifically, has a version with a bright orange handle (among other colors).

Good luck.

I have this "Feather Clone" G1105 razor from Aliexpress. I'm pretty sure this is the same razor as the Mythus. In the attached pic, you can see an end view of the blade face holder without a blade loaded.

Attachments

• PXL_20220223_163025447.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220223_163025447.PORTRAIT.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Top Bottom