What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I picked up a Feather SR kamisori from Jatai.net with their Black Friday pricing and I am blown away how comfortable it shaves! I had probably my best shave yet with any of my AC style razors. It is also heavier than my other AC style razors (including my stainless steel Kai Captain Standard R-type folding razor). I think that makes it even easier to shave as gravity helps you with the shave. I really like the grip of the handle which I prefer over my CJB GR-100B.

Having bought it within a few weeks of picking up my Kai Captain Standard R-type folding razor (which I am also enjoying) I will have a hard time picking which razor to use for the next shave (first world problem, I know :biggrin1:). I look forward to my next shave.

Feather SR professional.

( 3 monkeys statuette is made from 100% beeswax - by a local beekeeper )

IMG_20211124_103843~4.jpg

Well, my folding Feather SR arrived in yesterday's mail, just in time, as I was due for a shave yesterday evening. I am only one shave in, so the following is a preliminary review. Bear in mind that I have been shavette shaving exclusively since September of 2019, using first just the Feather SS, then adding a Mythus (a cheap Chinese clone of the Kai Luffy), and finally adding a Kai Kasho woody.

First impressions on unboxing were that it is heavier than my SS and my Mythus, for sure. The jimps are much better than those of the SS. I like the contrast between the glossy black handle and the matte finish on the "blade."

I looked for the little "bump" that is supposed to be there, but smaller than the one on the SS, but honestly, looking at the razor it is hard to see if the bump even exists. I expected it to be similar to the Kai and the Mythus, but it is even smaller, for sure. I have never seen a DX in person so I don't know how different the SR is from the DX, but just looking at the SR before I loaded a blade it looked like what I expect the DX to look like. I guess maybe the area where it clamps the blade is slightly broader than that of the DX, but as for a "bump" per se I really don't see one.

I loaded it up with a Feather ProGuard (not my favorite blade, but I had removed one from my Mythus after just two shaves and the blade was just sitting there on my chest of drawers), lathered up some Soapy Science in Doc's Special Blend, and started the shave. I started with a steeper angle than I use for any of my other AC replaceable blade straights, because I could tell that would be required.

First pass went pretty smoothly. I did notice a tiny bit of "sticktion" on the first cheek while I was working out the angles. This razor definitely shaves a LOT differently from the SS, so if you have the SS and think there's no point in buying the SR because they are basically the same, let me tell you that are not the same at all.

Anyway, after the first pass it seems to me that first-pass reduction was better than I usually get with my SS, but after two passes, there was actually a bit more stubble left behind. Again, I might have just not gotten the perfect angle because it was my first shave (not to mention using the ProGuard rather than my usual blades). Anyway, I went ahead and did a quick and light third pass (the other direction XTG) and ended up with a fantastically smooth shave. No nicks, no weepers, and no irritation.

Too soon to say whether this thing will turn out to be a favorite, but it is definitely beautiful, well constructed, and requires a technique much closer to what I use for a real straight razor. Might be essentially a somewhat tamer, safer version of the DX and at a much better price.

Overall, I was pleased with the razor. I suspect I will come to like it even more with more practice. I ALMOST with I had purchased the pink one, though. The black, though shiny and nice, is a bit boring. (Not to worry, though; the reason I took the ProGuard out of my Mythus is that I sent it off to get it re-scaled with a gorgeous custom acrylic.)

Since the earlier post, I went online and compared face-on photos of the DX and the SR. It appears that the "blade" of the DX is more concave, making the razor resemble a half-hollow straight, and that where the clamps meet to hold the blade is quite thin.
By way of contrast, the SR has a tiny bit of concavity, maybe like a quarter-hollow to near-wedge straight, and, although there really isn't a "bump" at the edge like the SS has, the area where the blade is clamped is a bit thicker than the same area on the DX.

So, I guess it is true that the SR is kind of a "half-way house" between the DX and the SS, although to my eye it more closely resembles the DX than the SS. I think people who complained about the bump on the SS but felt that the DX was too unforgiving may find their perfect replaceable-blade straight razor with the SR.

Since the earlier post, I went online and compared face-on photos of the DX and the SR. It appears that the "blade" of the DX is more concave, making the razor resemble a half-hollow straight, and that where the clamps meet to hold the blade is quite thin.
By way of contrast, the SR has a tiny bit of concavity, maybe like a quarter-hollow to near-wedge straight, and, although there really isn't a "bump" at the edge like the SS has, the area where the blade is clamped is a bit thicker than the same area on the DX.

So, I guess it is true that the SR is kind of a "half-way house" between the DX and the SS, although to my eye it more closely resembles the DX than the SS. I think people who complained about the bump on the SS but felt that the DX was too unforgiving may find their perfect replaceable-blade straight razor with the SR.

comp.jpg

Today was one of those days were I could not dial in my lather to save my life. Too thick, too thin, too thick, too thin. I should have pulled out a different brush (and maybe a different soap) and started again. I started with my Kai Captain Standard R-type folding razor and quickly switched to my Feather Artist Club SR kamisori razor halfway into the first pass.

Anyway, I at least had a few takeaways from my shave so it was not a complete loss.

First, the Feather SR is more forgiving than the Kai Captain Standard. I had a few nicks from the Kai but no issues from the Feather.

Second, the Feather resists stiction more than the Kai. The Kai was getting stuck more often and worse than the Feather.

Third, I prefer a kamisori over a folding razor. With a folding razor, the scales get in the way especially if you wear glasses during the shave. You have to get creative to find ways to get the scales out of the way and not interfere with your glasses when shaving the cheeks. I have the Feather plastic cover for the kamisori, so storage/transport is not a problem for me. I always remove the blades from all my razors (except my Parker Adjustable Injector razor) after each shave so that is not a concern either.

For now, I will pull the Kai out of the razor rotation (and stick with the Feather) until my skill with AC style razors matches my zeal for shaving. :biggrin1:

Today was one of those days were I could not dial in my lather to save my life. Too thick, too thin, too thick, too thin. I should have pulled out a different brush (and maybe a different soap) and started again. I started with my Kai Captain Standard R-type folding razor and quickly switched to my Feather Artist Club SR kamisori razor halfway into the first pass.

Anyway, I at least had a few takeaways from my shave so it was not a complete loss.

First, the Feather SR is more forgiving than the Kai Captain Standard. I had a few nicks from the Kai but no issues from the Feather.

Second, the Feather resists stiction more than the Kai. The Kai was getting stuck more often and worse than the Feather.

Third, I prefer a kamisori over a folding razor. With a folding razor, the scales get in the way especially if you wear glasses during the shave. You have to get creative to find ways to get the scales out of the way and not interfere with your glasses when shaving the cheeks. I have the Feather plastic cover for the kamisori, so storage/transport is not a problem for me. I always remove the blades from all my razors (except my Parker Adjustable Injector razor) after each shave so that is not a concern either.

For now, I will pull the Kai out of the razor rotation (and stick with the Feather) until my skill with AC style razors matches my zeal for shaving. :biggrin1:
I just noticed, that my Kai Captain clone is now 4 years old and when I picked it up just now it felt odd/uncomfortable.

It just goes to show how well made the Feather SR professional is .

1) good silicone handle
2) The handle's curvature is just right
3) The weight of the Kami the same - just right.
4) leaf spring tension what it should be -- unlike the clone Kai captain .

Okay, not a fair comparison considering that the clone costs one tenth of the SR price.

I never leave blades inside the Kami and always clean thoroughly after every use.

Currently, I am using a reading glasses sheath to store my Kami - like a kinda gun holster 😂

OK, so I've now had four or five shaves with my brand new Feather SR folding razor, and I'm ready to update my earlier review.

I can see why barbers love this razor so much. The weight and balance is just perfect. The angle for shaving is very close to that of an old-school straight razor. Now that I have really dialed in the angle, it is also a very efficient and comfortable shaver. I did two passes plus touch-up this morning and when rinsing my face felt like a manta ray. Unbelievable. No irritation at all, but every bit of stubble completely destroyed.

I am going to eventually have to go back to some of my other shavettes; I hope I am not disappointed when I do.

Oh, and as a side note, I sent my Mythus (which is a cheap Chinese clone of the Kai Luffy) off to an artisan to get custom scales. I had purchased the orange version of the Mythus and have decided to stick with orange, but I will be replacing the cheap, monotonous orange with a beautiful lightly swirled acrylic. I am also going to get a much more sleek shape for the scales. Once it gets back to me, I will post some pictures for y'all to drool over. Maybe I'm crazy spending this much money dressing up what is, after all, just a cheap Zamac clone. But it really does shave really well and I enjoy shaving with it. As long as I take care of it, it should last quite a while.

Is there a clone razor that you would recommend? I am missing shaving with a shavette and I have kept only one, the Universal De Full Blade razor.

Is there a clone razor that you would recommend? I am missing shaving with a shavette and I have kept only one, the Universal De Full Blade razor.
I love my Mythus razor. Takes AC blades. Has a tiny lip at the edge, smaller than that of the Feather SS, slightly larger than that of the Feather SR; almost exactly the same as the Kai Luffy or Kai Kasho Woody. More blade exposure than the Feather SS or SR.
Just a really nice little shaver, and cheap as chips (as they say in Great Britain). I bought mine online from CBL soaps, but I don't know if they still carry them.

Edit: Just went and checked, and not only are they available, but they are currently on sale, insanely cheap. $13 for the ones with bright colored scales, $15 for the one with black scales. I may pick up another one just to have a different color, lol. At that price, why not? My wife may kill me, but other than that, what's to lose?

Do you find that for a specific AC style blade that you prefer one barber razor over another?

I had been using the Feather ProGuard blade in my Feather AC SR kamisori as I liked it better in that razor than in my Kai Captain Standard folding razor (or CJB or IBC). I assumed it was just my technique that was the issue. Today, I tried out the Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG in the Feather SR for the first pass of my shave and felt the blade was pretty rough against my skin. For the second pass I moved that blade to the Kai Standard folding razor and the blade felt so much better on my skin! I was just curious if any of you had experienced that with different AC blades and barber razors.

I guess it makes sense when I think about DE blades and different razors.

Hello. New for me wilkinson sword blades. Below are packing photos and comparison with kai titan mild. Used them several times in my razors. Who knows which razors they were used in? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20211224_220704.jpg
    20211224_220704.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211224_220805.jpg
    20211224_220805.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211224_220917.jpg
    20211224_220917.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211224_223701.jpg
    20211224_223701.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
To those who’ve done so before me, would a Mythus or other standard AC-format barber razor be able to safely use a half DE blade?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you, @Sisyphos

Avoiding weepers and feeling cool doing it are why I’m looking at barber razors and my Mythus has a bump and needs the priciest AC blades around to even pretend a pressure-free shallow angle is possible.

Top Bottom