What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I mostly use shavettes that take the Feather/Kai blades but this one give me a fantastic shave today

proxy.php

I mostly use shavettes that take the Feather/Kai blades but this one give me a fantastic shave today

proxy.php
Very interesting Ron!
What blade does that take?

I have a folding Artist Club shavette by Kamisori called the Silver Blade as well as a Dovo Type Clone like yours but actually made by Gold Dollar...

It takes half DE blades and the longer versions nut I have not tried those, have Some Dovo and Tondeo blades on the way and might try the Chinese ones later on.

I also have the kamisori Silver Blade and the Tanken by Kamisori.

It takes half DE blades and the longer versions nut I have not tried those, have Some Dovo and Tondeo blades on the way and might try the Chinese ones later on.

I also have the kamisori Silver Blade and the Tanken by Kamisori.
How do you like the Silver
Blade?
I find it so well balanced and ergonomic that I prefer it to the DX and Captain.

... And the Lalwani Shaver for me tonight.
An amazingly packaged rebranded Parker PTB.
“History Begins Every Morning”
263118F3-CADC-49D1-946C-2185EE083B22.jpeg

It’s actually a very nice bit of kit and the blade retaining system is superb - there are two metal tabs that the blade slips under and then it’s positioned by four small metal nubs holding the blade ice cold tight.
I never owned a Parker TBR so does that have the same design to hold the blade?
6EF00189-D780-4EB0-BA67-F3201DC468BC.jpeg

Good weight, good grip and good head geometry.
Decent blade exposure yet still very smooth and even the spine is decorated!
75673F33-2E1D-46D4-BD69-C72538A843E8.jpeg

As it says on the box “Get ready for scorching, awesome and thrilling shave”

Hello all,

I guess I am joining the club.

I have decided to take the plunge into shavette shaving before a total shaving purchase layoff in 2019. To that end, I got a brass Razorine, Parker SRX, and the Mrs. has made Christmas special by getting me the Feather SS, both kamisori and folding styles. Any thoughts on how to progress? Should I just go in the order I just listed?
For the Feathers, I purchased 2 boxes of the proguard blades, and a box each of the other 3 varieties. Those I will just move through in ascending order of sharpness.

I exchanged a couple of messages with Gianni from Razorine (great guy, totally committed to his product and customers...) And he gave me some priceless advice - don't think of it as shaving, your just removing the soap gently of f your face, and the blade is doing the rest. That little "moment of zen" took a lot of the fear out of using a shavette for the first time.

I guess that I was looking for a new challenge, so 2019 will be a move towards shavette shaving. Not necessarily daily, but certainly enough to learn to do it right, and get my money's worth out of the investment. Correct me, please, if I am mistaken, but I basically see this as straight razor shaving without the upkeep, price and maintenance of an actual straight razor. I have always wanted to for straight razor shaving, but didn't want the upkeep hassles.

Any thoughts or tips would be most appreciated.

DCJ
Raytown MO

Wow, a fully dedicated start on shaving with shavettes. Welcome on board!

The order you presented seems to be a safe one. Yet, don't let the "Feather the scariest" saying scare you. Feather SS shavettes are usually easier than thought. The bumps on the lips seem to work well while you are trying to feel the blade, keep it at an angle, not to push, etc.

I have all the three types you mentioned BTW. Minus Razorine, plus a local one very close in action. This double sided shavettes with a safety bar keep things very simple and eases the tension of shaving with a bare blade idea, at least that you may be feeling in the first days.

If you feel confident enough for the upkeep of a classic straight, you will see that it is more close to a Feather DX than a Parker SRX. Some looser razors with DE baldes might discourage with their constant chatter and unbalanced blades exposures. Still, Parker SRX is a nice example of half DE razors and it holds the blade tight and securely so you shouldn't have any difficulties with either shavette you start with.

[QUOTE="Seckin Bodur, post: 9963828, member: 117605

If you feel confident enough for the upkeep of a classic straight, you will see that it is more close to a Feather DX than a Parker SRX. Some looser razors with DE baldes might discourage with their constant chatter and unbalanced blades exposures. Still, Parker SRX is a nice example of half DE razors and it holds the blade tight and securely so you shouldn't have any difficulties with either shavette you start with.[/QUOTE]

It's funny you mentioned the Feather DX, because I have given a lot of thought to making the kamisori DX my last purchase of 2018, before the sabbatical begins... It sort of depends how the week after Christmas goes. Presuming you have both, is there a measurable difference between shaving with an SS and a DX? It appears from other threads there is, but is it worth the outlay. Any thoughts?

DCJ
Raytown MO

Well, if you want to buy one, there is a lot of difference, but if you are trying to avoid getting one, it isn't that necessary :)

I tried my DX kamisori a few times but having quite nice shaves out of SS, I didn't feel enthusiastic to learn every bit of a DX shave. They felt different, DX seemed to need some more attention. Many say it is much refined and you'll get more flexibility out of it since you can adjust its angle further, but I felt it was harsher than SS and the brushed steel showed water marks worse.

And don't forget that it doesn't end with the DX. You'd want to get KAIs too. :)

Great to see the Shavette love radiating out from this thread!

Now it has fully clicked for me I absolutely love the Razorine - perfect effortless shaving of head and face with a myriad of blade choices.

A vintage British Wilkinson blade made today’s shave a truly pleasing experience:
67C18C81-91FF-4B12-A494-B9D0BEF96C1B.jpeg

Great to see the Shavette love radiating out from this thread!

Now it has fully clicked for me I absolutely love the Razorine - perfect effortless shaving of head and face with a myriad of blade choices.

A vintage British Wilkinson blade made today’s shave a truly pleasing experience:
View attachment 937458
Your enthusiasm will be the death of your l me, Marcus! Haha!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Anybody have used a Blade Tech gw express shavette? Not much I can find about it except on facebook, it's made in France and expensive, not sure what to think of it, they claim you can't cut yourself with it.

It has two blades spaces. The first one allows shaving with the Gillette multi blade and the second one allows standard half double edge blades and long blades with aplicator like Feather or Kai. Its multiple usage allows profesionals to complete any beard defining work, complete shaving or thinning hair with a razor, ensuring the best option for each job, skin type or hair. The tool´s ergonomy prevents small cuts, ensuring a perfect job.

That's what the description says but at that price (€140) and almost no info to be found, not even a video of how to install the blades ......

I found one-

proxy.php

Thanks for the video link, have seen that but it doesn't really make clear to me what system he uses as far as blades goes, I've heard it's kind of a cartridge kind of thing, still no response from the maker to my questions.

Pre-RG Feather for me tonight with a Pro Super blade.
Superb head and face shave from a lovely razor:
D0BBC8C0-0B4D-4732-AF04-2C664A94DFBB.jpeg

Does anyone know the history of the Feather models before the RG?
I’d love to comprehend the Feather shavette timeline!

Top Bottom