What's new

ShaveSmith Company

A few days ago, I have sent 2 emails to Chris from ShaveSmith about purchasing a custom razor, but he has not replied. I went on the FB page and found a Feb 2020 comment from someone with the same situation. Does anyone know if ShaveSmith went out of business?

Don’t know. He has a varied reputation. I know he was active on Reddit. You may want to check or post an question there in wicked_edge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got a blade form him before, it was my first ever razor, i shaved with it the first time and it was good after a incorrect strop i ruined the edge, im waiting until the lock-down winds down so i can get it professionally honed so i can really test it. i got my razor relatively quick for a custom razor. took about a month more or less. sometimes he took a while to respond though. i think he does everything himself, so he might be overwhelmed with work and takes a while until he responds. also your email might be going to his junk folder, try to email him with a different email. this is probably not the case. just wait a bit see what happens. i had a similar experience with other artisans. i emailed them and got a response like 2 weeks later.

IMG_0344.JPG

@allyourbasearebelongtous Thanks for your input. I called his number and got his vm saying he was unavailable. I am sorry, but if you don"t respond within 1 day to an email, then I usually don't do business with you. Now, it is over a week, I will never do business with SharpSmith. I decided to go with Max Sprecher and ordered a 10/8 barber's notch with blue paua (abalone) scales. It was more money than I was williing to spend, but this artisan blows the doors off of ShaveSmith. Max Sprecher is one of the top straight razor artisans.

@allyourbasearebelongtous Thanks for your input. I called his number and got his vm saying he was unavailable. I am sorry, but if you don"t respond within 1 day to an email, then I usually don't do business with you. Now, it is over a week, I will never do business with SharpSmith. I decided to go with Max Sprecher and ordered a 10/8 barber's notch with blue paua (abalone) scales. It was more money than I was williing to spend, but this artisan blows the doors off of ShaveSmith. Max Sprecher is one of the top straight razor artisans.
max preacher is a pretty good razor maker no doubt. cant go wrong. i got him on my wish list myself. but you never know. you might get a reply and change your mind. this happened to me with koraat. i emailed him and got no response for weeks. i told myself the same thing i started looking at other artisans, when i got a reply back. he told me he was having some issues with his health, so he took some time off. i ended up getting a beautiful razor and a brush from him. probably will do business with him again. same thing happened with some brush artisans too, and wolfman. some of these artisans are running their shop themselves, and when they get popular, they get overwhelmed with work. cant expect to get the same customer service you get from a bigger companies with employees dedicated to customer service. if you decide to not do business with them because of that, you might miss out on some beautiful shave equipment. look at this brush and razor. i would of missed out on this if i didn't wait a 3 to 4 weeks. for a reply.

image0(2).jpeg

I do understand, but I am going to be 65 next month and I am on a limited income. I own 6 modern and 7 vintage straight razors. I really didn't need to buy another straight, but I wanted to treat myself for this important milestone. Even if ShaveSmith got back to me and explained why it took him so long for whatever the reason will not change my mind. Really, how hard is it to check your emails and answer them or say on the website that I will not be taking new orders for x amount of months. To me, that is being considerate. Sorry, he lost me as customer! If you can't respond to an email within a day or two, then that's a red flag which signals to me there may be other things that aren't right in your business.

I agree trigger one - there have been countless debates over the years on these forums and it goes back and forth, up and down and only got more frequent as the artisan community grew.

I believe I see the struggle some have when they get overwhelmed but simple communication can resolve most concerns. Even if it is a response saying ‘I’m too busy - I’ll reply in a month’. Auto email responses and/or a note on the page for people taking time (for any reason) also work

A few days ago, I have sent 2 emails to Chris from ShaveSmith about purchasing a custom razor, but he has not replied. I went on the FB page and found a Feb 2020 comment from someone with the same situation. Does anyone know if ShaveSmith went out of business?
Avoid Shavesmith and Christopher like the plague!!! I ordered in April 2019, and he completely stopped responding 2 weeks later. Jan 2021 now, and nothing to show for it.

Avoid Shavesmith and Christopher like the plague!!! I ordered in April 2019, and he completely stopped responding 2 weeks later. Jan 2021 now, and nothing to show for it.
That is unpardonable in my book! I hope you didn't put the whole vig on your order. Without any communication between you and him, it will be difficult to get a refund. I would take some legal action if he doesn't return your money. I am sorry you got screwed.

Top Bottom