What's new

Shaves per DE blade

I once took a Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless to 43 shaves in a Merkur Progress and it was actually great so long as I periodically increased blade exposure. However on the 43rd shave the blade efficiency dropped off to the point that final shave was not very pleasant.

But...no biggie. Now I enjoy the first few shaves of a brand new blade so much (much more efficient) I'm usually tossing after about 4 shaves.

I'm looking for the best razor/blade combination to let me get two weeks (12) of shaves - they are 2-1/2 pass shaves, and I do have a circle beard, so lip and chin are out. I've gotten 22 shaves from a blade in the past, so I know this is perfectly possible. I have several contenders already, and will probably have a couple more before I make a decision and stick to one combination for the foreseeable future.

One thing to note, though, is that software, prep, and technique have a lot to do with blade longevity and shave comfort over the long haul.

I guess everyone is different. But after 4 shaves at most i can tell a big difference in shave quality. But everyone has differenet skin and hair.

I agree that the blades I use (Lord Super Stainless) are harsher on the first shave than the next. However, I haven't ever used a blade longer than three shaves total. I guess I keep on thinking that they'll be worse after more than about a week. Seeing that there are people getting 20 shaves makes me want to do a bit of experimentation now.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Seeing that there are people getting 20 shaves makes me want to do a bit of experimentation now.

I know the Polsilver I took to 20 shaves had a lot more in it, but after 5 weeks I needed to try a Gillette Yellow as its my second blade for longevity testing.

I just had my third shave with it and while it gave me a very good and damn close shave, it was a bit more harsh than the first shave and still not even in the same league as the Polsilver at 20.

Gillette Yellow shave #3.

48 1/2 hours since last shave.

Super lather! Stirlings Black Cherry and Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Thats a nice combo...

First pass WTG/XTG no buffing. It took a surprising amount of stubble off, but every time I do this I ask myself why lol.

Second pass buffing ATG. No issues at all. One more light clean up over my swirls and left side jawline. BBS finish and I have to say, this shave is extremely close. My skin is cool, tight and comfortable.

The blade was a bit more harsh this shave and I found myself hunting different angles, but it shaved me close and it was comfortable enough.

The more I use this blade, the more I want to use a Polsilver after 10 shaves. I'd call this Yellow on its 3rd shave equal in every way to a Polsilver on shave #1.

I know the Polsilver I took to 20 shaves had a lot more in it, but after 5 weeks I needed to try a Gillette Yellow as its my second blade for longevity testing.

Wow, that just seems nuts to me, but not for any good reason. That's just an expectation that a blade that costs me $0.20 shouldn't last me 30 days (I shave about every 36 hours). Based on that input, I will absolutely give the blade more time. Thanks!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Would that blade have been the Polsilver Iridium??

Polsilver SI yep. Fantastic blades.

Wow, that just seems nuts to me, but not for any good reason. That's just an expectation that a blade that costs me $0.20 shouldn't last me 30 days (I shave about every 36 hours). Based on that input, I will absolutely give the blade more time. Thanks!

It does to me too! lol

At 20 shaves that blade had cost me a penny.

I'm now on the 5th week and it shows no signs of slowing down and in fact, has improved. Its still very nearly as sharp as it was fresh and a whole bunch smoother.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

I dont remember offhand what the total cost of my Grande was, but it was close enough to $50 to call it that. Under CAD$100 for the best DE razor made in my opinion and 200 of one of the best blades made, and you're good for ten years.

I typically do three passes/shave. Like most I count shaves (not passes) per blade. So a week of shaves would mean apporximately 21 passes. This is generally what I get with my top-tier blades.

I pretty consistently get 3 shaves max out of my blades. I've never had a blade get smoother with successive shaves, and the idea of one getting sharper seems to defy physics to my mind, so I assume that's a tactile illusion.

First shave with a new blade is always the smoothest. Second is still smooth, but with a few tiny hitches. Third is merely usable. Fourth is a hard crash into road rash city. Since this has historically been very consistent with me, even across brands, and the dropoff between usable and unusable is so steep, I do count shaves. Better to throw out a blade that might have a 1 in 5 random chance of having one OK-ish shave left on it than to risk the 4 in 5 almost certainty of a brutal shave that'll force me to skip a week before shaving again.

Standard YMMV caveat applies. I have coarse beard hair and easily damaged skin, so I accept that I'm probably an outlier. I envy people who can get away with shaving so many times one one blade, or can afford not to be ultra super-picky about brands and sharpness level, but I have to assume they have much softer beards and harder skin than me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I pretty consistently get 3 shaves max out of my blades. I've never had a blade get smoother with successive shaves, and the idea of one getting sharper seems to defy physics to my mind, so I assume that's a tactile illusion.

I've seen it referred to as 'face stropping' lol. I think of it as polishing the edge, and I believe it has merit.

I think I have coarse and dense growth. Thats why I shave every other day. My skin cant take constant daily shaving.

I dunno. I tried some of the DE stropping methods I'd seen online a couple times, and in each case it straight up ruined the blade. Turned a day 2 blade into what I'd estimate is the equivalent of a day 5 or 6 blade. Will never do that again.

So for now I maintain my assumption that blades simply get duller, never sharper, and when people say the blade is smother on subsequent days, what they're really saying is that they prefer a duller blade than whatever their preferred blade is out of the package.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I dunno. I tried some of the DE stropping methods I'd seen online a couple times, and in each case it straight up ruined the blade. Turned a day 2 blade into what I'd estimate is the equivalent of a day 5 or 6 blade. Will never do that again.

So for now I maintain my assumption that blades simply get duller, never sharper, and when people say the blade is smother on subsequent days, what they're really saying is that they prefer a duller blade than whatever their preferred blade is out of the package.

I can understand a blade feeling smoother, as any harshness in the factory edge is worn away. Not had a blade that feels sharper as it goes yet.

The only explanation that I can give to that is that the coated edge may be duller than the parent metal edge beneath, and as the coating wears it exposes the true edge.

I used to use a D6 die to keep track of the number of shaves that I got from a blade (Astra SP). Now I'm using a D12.
Typically I start using a blade in one of my milder razors, and then switch to more aggressive ones halfway through. Then I go back to the milder razors (or setting) for the last few shaves.

Top Bottom