What's new

Shavemac ; What is the origin of this shops name ?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Bernd just got back to me regarding the origin of the name:
The part "Shave" comes from the German word Rasieren=shaving
Mac comes indeed from an Apple Macintosh computer. He opened the first internet shop for shaving brushes in 1995.

So, part of the name stems form the use of an apple computer (at this time in Germany these were quite rare...and so was the internet...).

Apple iMac

Sorry to say but it was before that my friend

A quote from Wikipedia

The Macintosh (commonly shortened to Mac since 1998) is a family of personal computers designed, manufactured, and sold by Apple Inc. since January 1984. The original Macintosh is the first successful mass-market personal computer to have featured a graphical user interface, built-in screen, and mouse.

I will admit I own 2 Shavmacs, the first one I bought was Shavemac Series 167 Silvertip D-01 2 Band Black handle and love it. Now I don't like Synthetic brushes but I bought one not so long back, a Shavemac Synthetic 173 shape 26mm Synthetic knot and this one joins the 3 other Synthetic's that I have.

Now to be honest, I like this one a lot now I would never thought I would like a Synthetic. But this one hits all the right buttons well it does for me being a Badger man.

Just to quote I will not be ditching my badgers anytime soon, but I'm pleased I bought this one and would I buy another you bet I would.

A quote from Wikipedia

The Macintosh (commonly shortened to Mac since 1998) is a family of personal computers designed, manufactured, and sold by Apple Inc. since January 1984. The original Macintosh is the first successful mass-market personal computer to have featured a graphical user interface, built-in screen, and mouse.

I remember when the first iMacs came out because I was attending a stand in a popular IT fair in Milan (SMAU). Those translucent colored plastic things caused a sensation. But Macintosh computers were already hugely popular, my first was a "Classic II" in 1991.
You may remember the model because some years ago many people repurposed those old cases into mini-aquariums.

Of course Apple Computer and the Macintosh existed before 1998 , but the iMac model was indeed introduced in 1998 .

Interesting. They certainly know how to make good brushes and knots. Plus Shavemac sounds a lot better than ShavePC, or ShaveCommadore. Maybe ShaveVax would be a winner these days.

I will admit I own 2 Shavmacs, the first one I bought was Shavemac Series 167 Silvertip D-01 2 Band Black handle and love it. Now I don't like Synthetic brushes but I bought one not so long back, a Shavemac Synthetic 173 shape 26mm Synthetic knot and this one joins the 3 other Synthetic's that I have.

Now to be honest, I like this one a lot now I would never thought I would like a Synthetic. But this one hits all the right buttons well it does for me being a Badger man.

Just to quote I will not be ditching my badgers anytime soon, but I'm pleased I bought this one and would I buy another you bet I would.
I just bought a Shavemac D01 2-band brush with a 24mm/50mm fan knot & handle style 167. I also messaged them to see if they could alter the 167 handle by adding an extended rim around the top & I hope they can as it seems like an extended rim would make the 167 handle perfect. Either way I cant wait to give the D01 2-band a try.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

A quote from Wikipedia

All of this confusion, is it a Mac, or an iMac, is just a name. @Ice-Man is indeed correct, as I can remember making the damn drilling machines for the circuit boards in 1984 for Knudson Manufacturing Co.

I, :letterk1: had a Commodore 64.

What I find compelling in the Shavemac story is that, historically, their expertise was in making handles and their knots came a good deal later. There was never any guarantee that their proficiency in one area would extend to the other. We are all the lucky ones that it did!

I absolutely love the Shavemac configurator.

I recall when in the not too distant past, the Configurator also had custom razors and stands using matching colors and materials to the handles.

I assume they didn't sell many custom cartridge razors or stands, but I'm curious if you can still order them as part of his more custom offerings.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You're young, I had an Atari 1200XL.
So I forgot to mention I had Pong. The only reason I didn't get the VIC 20 was because I was waiting for the massive 1 megabyte Winchester drive to go along with my 1541 floppy drive as the tape drive was just a bit slowwwwwwww.

Top Bottom