What's new

Shavemac SMF Special

Greetings Gents,
I was fortunate enough to get one of these beautiful cocobolo-handled silvertips. This was truly a great deal on a brush that is both exceptionally attractive and a phenomenal performer. As it was decided by a group, this brush has a 26mm knot. Though I would have preferred a 28mm or 30mm, this brush is certainly no underachiever. I love whipping up a batch of lather with it. It is equally at home with cream or soap. Here it is after my fourth pass today with Vulfix Lavender Cream.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ron, how does the Vulfix cream compare to the three T's? Have you tried the Vulfix Sandalwood? Are Vulfix shaving creams a good buy or is it better to go with one of the three T's?

RR (whats your name?)
I am not sure how Ron will answer, but having used the 3 "T"s and vulfix as well, you would do quite nicely with the Vulfix OR the 3 T's. Why not buy both a vulfix tub (I have the lavender and like it, as well as a sample I'm still using of their sandalwood) and then a tub of one of the others, in a scent you like?
variety is the best part of this thing.
The Vulfix cream seems very emollient, produces a really good lather, and gives a comfortable shave. Problem is, so do the 3 Ts. So you are very unlikely to go wrong with either. All that is left is choosing one that your skin likes, and go with it. FWIW I like both Vulfix creams in this regard.
John P.

roughrider said:
Hey Ron, how does the Vulfix cream compare to the three T's? Have you tried the Vulfix Sandalwood? Are Vulfix shaving creams a good buy or is it better to go with one of the three T's?
Hi RR,
Got the martini sittin' here getting warm waiting for you to stop in. I guess I'll just have to drink it and make a fresh one for you when you arrive..
Three questions eh?
First I do not claim to be a cream guy, but I have been investing in them (heavily) for some reason lately.. As to the Vulfix.. For some reason it seemed that before they hit the market they were the most heralded arrival since Caesar's triumphant entry. Then there was faint praise.. Then..
I personally believe that Vulfix Lavender compares favorably with the three T's creams. Some folks complained that their sensitive proboscis noted a "synthetic fragrance (odor)." Sense of smell certainly varys from soul to soul, but the lavender is delightful once applied to the brush and whipped up. That was an answer to Q1.

No, unfortunately I have not tried the sandalwood. I have three sandalwood soaps and one or is it two sandalwood creams. I have read some folks reports of really enjoying it. I've read some others saying it was just so so. Unless I got it as a present, SWMBO would kill me! Answer to Q2.

I haven't done an economic analysis of the cost per shave of the Vufix versus the Taylor's, etc. BUT, I can say I certainly enjoy it as much as the three T's creams. If you look at my SOTD's for this past week or so, you will note that I personally participated in an unbridled orgy of Taylor's cologne fragrance cream shaves. Ya' know what? I enjoyed them immensely too! :blush: Was that an answer to Q3? I dunno..
Oh, was that one olive or two? :smile:

Ron,

Q1.) What do you make of the viscosity of the Vulfix cream?

I haven't tried the Lavender, but the Vulfix Sandalwood is very wet in comparison to the Trumper's Sandalwood. If you were to accidentally tip over the tub of Vulfix, its contents would easily pour out. On the other hand, you can put the tub of Trumper's completely upside down without fear of losing anything. In comparison to the Trumper's, the Vulfix seems to lather more efficiently. However, this observation may be due to my lack of skill using creams.

Hal

halwilson said:
Ron,

Q1.) What do you make of the viscosity of the Vulfix cream?

I haven't tried the Lavender, but the Vulfix Sandalwood is very wet in comparison to the Trumper's Sandalwood. If you were to accidentally tip over the tub of Vulfix, its contents would easily pour out. On the other hand, you can put the tub of Trumper's completely upside down without fear of losing anything. In comparison to the Trumper's, the Vulfix seems to lather more efficiently. However, this observation may be due to my lack of skill using creams.

Hal
Hi Hal,
Interesting question.. Odd that you ask. First, I have noted a significant difference in 2 of the 5 Taylors creams I used during the last week or so. The Mr. Taylor seemed ALMOST runny as did the Eton College. No apparent impact on efficacy though. The Vulfix Lavender did not seem at all runny (loose?), but this too could be more of a function of shelf-life or storage. Using big brushes and not being too awfully concerned about spending an extra penny or two on the amount of cream used, I get heaps and gobs of great lather with plenty to spare for my 4-pass regimen. Probably not the info you are looking for, but it's just the way I choose to lather and I do enjoy my lather. :w00t:

Ron,

Thanks for your comments. Today I tried out the Trumper's Sandalwood using my new Kent Bk-4. That is one nice medium size brush. I whipped up a tremendous amount of quality lather. I shave my nog as well as my face, and having only used a small dollop of cream in my mixing bowl, after three complete passes I still had a heap of lather remaining. Fine cream, good brush.

Hal

guenron said:
Using big brushes and not being too awfully concerned about spending an extra penny or two on the amount of cream used, I get heaps and gobs of great lather with plenty to spare for my 4-pass regimen. Probably not the info you are looking for, but it's just the way I choose to lather and I do enjoy my lather. :w00t:

Ron,
I think I'm beginning to understand what you mean about enjoying your lather. These days, after having completed a close shave, I find myself impulsively re-lathering, simply for the pleasure of re-lathering. :001_unsur
Hal

halwilson said:
Ron,
I think I'm beginning to understand what you mean about enjoying your lather. These days, after having completed a close shave, I find myself impulsively re-lathering, simply for the pleasure of re-lathering. :001_unsur
Hal
Hi Hal,
Well, it is one of the most sensory parts of the shaving experience, sight, hearing, smell, feeling.. Occassionally when I am too exuberent, I even get a taste! :smile:
Lathering really does put shaving in a completely different domain than drudgery.

I love my SMF brush also! The bristles really feel great on the face.

I also had a large sample of Vulfix Sandalwood that I enjoyed. I thought it was a very high-quality cream up there with the rest. I actually enjoyed the aroma, though it is different than other sandalwoods out there.

Each time I think about purchasing additional brushes, I realize that my SMF brush has everything I need. Great lathering ability, feels good on the face, and looks fantastic.

Rik said:
Each time I think about purchasing additional brushes, I realize that my SMF brush has everything I need. Great lathering ability, feels good on the face, and looks fantastic.
It really is everything you could ask for, at a price that is unbeatable. I am convinced that the best part is even an untrained monkey could produce lather with that bad-boy.

guenron said:
I am convinced that the best part is even an untrained monkey could produce lather with that bad-boy.

Its true, even I (not quite monkey, more Homo erectus) can produce an excellent lather with my SMF Shavemac.:cool:

For those of you saying. "Nyah! Anybody can get great lather with a cream." Here's another shot of the Shavemac SMF Special in action with one of the 3 Ts hardsoaps, Truefitt and Hill Luxury Shaving Soap. By the way, that's after four passes!

full

I think this brush should be renamed the Shavemac Seifenschaummeister!
It could produce a ton of efficacious lather from a box of rocks, well maybe sand. :ihih:

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be getting old because I know most of the posters- and I never got my hands on one of these brushes!

marty

Top Bottom