What's new

Shavemac regular D01 vs. 2-band D01

I'm thinking of getting yet another custom Shavemac. I already have a custom D01 (you can see it here)

I find the regular D01 knot a bit too dense, though it's very soft. To me it feels just like an overstuffed Silvertip knot.

I understand that the 2-band D01 is a different hair grade so I have a few questions:

Is it as dense as the regular D01?
Are the hairs thicker than the D01?
Does it offer even more backbone than the D01?
Are the tips as soft (or softer) than the D01?

My D01 is 43mm loft and I find it about the perfect size for me, but in a 2-band D01 would the loft need to be higher?

Thanks for your help.

I have a 24mm D01 bulb and a tow band D01 flat top so I cant give exact comparisons, but they should be ball park close. Shape plays a big role in knot characteristics. The three band is slightly more dense but not as soft as the two band tips. The two band hairs are thicker at the bottom and stay thick until the very tops where they taper off to a point smaller than the three band hairs. The backbone is similar between the two brushes but the three band bulb pulls ahead with its shape. The flat shape knot has no support hairs to lend backbone to the rest of the knot, so the fact that it comes close says quite a bit about the backbone of this hair grade. To further my point my three band D01 has the most backbone of any brush I own (approximately tied with my Rooney finest and just slightly more than my Lee Sabini Horn).

If you do go with a flat top make sure you go slightly lower loft than is prescribed by Bernd. If you go with a fan or bulb I think the stock two band loft should be just perfect.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have two D01 knots in the same dimensions, knot diameter and loft, one is the two-band (and I use this for some time in my stag handle) and the other waits for a handle, its a three band. I think they have both the same density of hair.

I have two D01 knots in the same dimensions, knot diameter and loft, one is the two-band (and I use this for some time in my stag handle) and the other waits for a handle, its a three band. I think they have both the same density of hair.

Rudy, I'm assuming that the shape of the knots are also similar? If so, how is the backbone and softness of the tips in comparison?

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am also interested in Rudy's comparison of the backbone and softness of the two different D01 brushes. Rudy, if you read this and are willing to reply, it would be much appreciated!

Top Bottom