What's new

Shavemac knot advice

I'm interested in buying a Shavemac silvertip 2 band and am trying to decide between a bulb or fan. I have mainly used bulbs, but the Shavemac bulb shape is more pointy than the badger bulbs I have used (TGN, Simpson, Semogue) and I'm unsure how this would translate in performance. I generally like the more controlled coverage of a bulb vs the larger face feel and coverage of fans. I like to face lather and want at least moderate backbone. What loft settings would you recommend for each? I am thinking abut 24/52-54 for the bulb and 24/46-48 for the fan. Considering my preferences, which knot would you recommend and at what setting? Thank-you!

lasta

Blade Biter
I've made the mistake of getting bulb for my first Shavemac.

Stay away. It doesn't add much backbone so much as it rather bend than splay properly. Not a fun face latherer.

For fan, I'd recommend 24/52. 46-48 and you'll get similar splaying problems.

IMO backbone is overrated. If you really need it, get a boar or synthetic.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Actually I think that Shavemac makes some very nice round bulbs. If a bulb is pointy, it is set too deep.
The one in the wooden handle is a finest that is about 12 or so years old, the one on the right in the next picture is a silvertip and the two others are two-band silvertips.
Simpson makes a hybrid shape, never seen or had a real bulb shaped from them. Shavemac offers at least two shapes in all grades, and even a third shape in the D01 grades.

Attachments

• My Favorite.JPG
    My Favorite.JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    731.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5316.JPG
    IMG_5316.JPG
    625.4 KB · Views: 40
Shavemac knots are simply excellent IME!

I have four of their 2-band silver tips: three fans and one bulb. The most interesting comparison is the group buy beagles, one bulb and one fan. My favorite is the fan, although the bulb is a very fine brush!:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Here is the brush Rudy Vey recently made for me with a Shavemac knot. It is one of the best-performing brushes I own. BTW, I am a fan of larger brushes.

Rudy Vey Silvertip.jpg

Actually I think that Shavemac makes some very nice round bulbs. If a bulb is pointy, it is set too deep.
The one in the wooden handle is a finest that is about 12 or so years old, the one on the right in the next picture is a silvertip and the two others are two-band silvertips.
Simpson makes a hybrid shape, never seen or had a real bulb shaped from them. Shavemac offers at least two shapes in all grades, and even a third shape in the D01 grades.
You mention that if a Shavemac 2 band bulb is pointy, it is set too deep. What loft setting do you suggest? Would that setting be good for face lathering, moderate backbone and moderate knot bloom?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You mention that if a Shavemac 2 band bulb is pointy, it is set too deep. What loft setting do you suggest? Would that setting be good for face lathering, moderate backbone and moderate knot bloom?
I think the loft settings offered by Shavemac are right on; I just do not have many brushes made by them. The Tribute, and the big silvertip I showed are the two with a bulb, and they are perfect.
For my brushes I always use the loft the bulb knot is made for, so if I get a knot with a 52 mm loft, it will be set at 52 mm, setting it shorter, like at 50 mm, it starts getting pointy.
They have a different loft for different hair grades for the same size knot: D01 two band is the shortest setting, D01 three band the highest, silvertip two band is just a tad higher than the D01-2. You can go to their brush configurator and check all the differnt grades out.
I really was for the longest time a fan guy, but over the last years I have developed also a liking for bulbs. My brushes that gets the most use, a total of 17, and 7 are bulbs, the rest fans and one flattop.

BTW, I do have a vintage Polo 8 in the old two-band super, this one has a nice bulb shape as well, but all my other Simpsons are their typical hybrids, actually more fans.

Top Bottom