What's new

Shavemac D01

I gave my three D01's a bath today...

IMG_8429.jpeg

I'm thinking of getting a Shavemac but have never tried one.

Thinking of 26/54 or 28/56 for the knot and most likely a bulb shape.

Just looking for recommendations, suggestions and experience with the Shavemac D01 two band (or other hair variations).

Thanks
I have both brushes you are considering, both in DO1-two band. I added 2mm to each in the configurator and they are perfect. They do take a bit to loosen up and feely comfy but I would not consider getting rid of either one of them.

I guess I'm one of the faint hearted. I owned a DO1 3 band silvertip and could never get along with it. Probably user error, but it felt like it did not release lather well and I'm moving away from denser-is-better. I recently got a shavemac badger in best and really like it, as much or more than my shavemac non DO1 2 band silvertip.

I have sensitive skin and still like to face-lather. Tried to make a D01 2-band work for ~7 years and currently the brush is back for re-knot work. Could use in a bowl or just painting or a couple of times per week swirling on face but that’s not what I wanted from it.

Wow, that is a long break in period! I exclusively face lather and shave daily. If I could manage it I would order the D01 and a regular two band to compare.

I have the opportunity to pick up a D01 for a great price but have reservations about the loft.

The brush is a 30mm Beehive D-01 2-Band with a 54mm hybrid-shape loft. Yes, a larger brush than I planned but I'm more concerned about the small loft.

I have the opportunity to pick up a D01 for a great price but have reservations about the loft.

The brush is a 30mm Beehive D-01 2-Band with a 54mm hybrid-shape loft. Yes, a larger brush than I planned but I'm more concerned about the small loft.
I cannot imagine a D01-2 band less than a 2:1 ratio. Even at 2:1, they are stiff knots. Maybe the larger knot size of 30mm would displace some of the density, but I personally would not want a 30mm knot in the first place. My largest D01-2 band is 24-50, feels quite large to me and it is sublime.

I do speak from experience with the D01-2 band. My now four D01-2 bands. To me personally, the best knot available.

IMG_8494.jpeg

Last edited:
I cannot imagine a D01-2 band less than a 2:1 ratio. Even at 2:1, they are stiff knots. Maybe the larger knot size of 30mm would displace some of the density, but I personally would not want a 30mm knot in the first place. My largest D01-2 band is 24-50, feels quite large to me and it is sublime.

I do speak from experience with the D01-2 band. My now four D01-2 bands. To me personally, the best knot available.

View attachment 1327031

Lovely line-up!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just a quick update. My friend let me borrow that 30/54 knot to test out the D01 hair. Actually the backbone wasn't an issue but the knot was just too large. The knot isn't completely broken in but I have no doubt it will be excellent in time. I do like the D01 hair, it is behaving like my finest Semogue in terms of break in and feel but turned up to 11.

Most likely I would go 26 (or maybe 28mm) when I order from Shavemac.

IMG_20210912_143658-01.jpeg

Just a quick update. My friend let me borrow that 30/54 knot to test out the D01 hair. Actually the backbone wasn't an issue but the knot was just too large. The knot isn't completely broken in but I have no doubt it will be excellent in time. I do like the D01 hair, it is behaving like my finest Semogue in terms of break in and feel but turned up to 11.

Most likely I would go 26 (or maybe 28mm) when I order from Shavemac.

View attachment 1339905
Good lucking brush. The added width of the knot must make the lower loft bearable. I would still recommend a 2:1 ratio. It will have ample backbone and scrub.

I have a lot of Shavemacs and even a D01 with a high loft still has a very good backbone. Here is my 26mm D01 with 58mm loft.
The wonderful thing is, the knot has a fantastic flow.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very happy with my D01 2 band. I hope that this hair stays available for a while - Rudy Vey can do amazing re-knots with it. I noticed that my knot is ~26x50 so slightly under the double-square configuration. Close to ideal for this dense, thick hair. The only things close to this are the Declaration B3 and an occasional Simpson but they are apparently still variable as in the past - I have and old T2 that’s very similar. D01 is consistent.

242437B4-2A2C-4858-A71B-08FB83F1EC51.jpeg

At about 25mm x 48mm (+/- 1mm or so) this D01 is an outstanding all purpose brush.
B5EA9E96-50EA-451B-9535-202EDFE21DB6.jpeg

Moving up to a larger knot is….well, be sure you know what you’re getting into.
8692747C-0F66-4254-9A0D-1717CB35B968.jpeg

Top Bottom