What's new

Shavemac D01 Two Band | What's the ideal loft for face lathering?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm considering ordering a Shavemac D01 two band. Probably in the 25 - 28 mm range, but at what loft?

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

100% of the time face latherer.

1590432551449.png

I have not decided on a handle but am leaning towards the #84 beehive in butterscotch; I'm not totally wild about the Shavemac butterscotch. I'm also considering having Rudy Vey make me a brush with the Shavemac knot, but I've not gotten as far as pricing his brushes. I like his butterscotch color though.

I like a lot of handles and am not stuck on the beehive although I like beehive as a handle shape.

What loft?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think Rudy's prices are very competitive and may actually be more affordable than Shavemac in some cases. I'll be getting a custom brush from Rudy soon. However, I don't know much about the D01 knot, but I'm sure he would have suggestions for loft. Rudy also has a nice beehive option and is a true custom maker.

Shavemac knots have gotten rather spend of late, however the D01 two band remains perhaps the best brush in my quiver. Loft should reflect the diameter. I'd say something like 24mm x 52mm.
Do remember this is a dense little spud. I wouldn't go all that short on the loft......
F73C2E94-21CC-4519-B056-B1D386287123.jpeg

Last edited:
Great choice! Shavemac’s D01 is excellent, very similar to Simpsons Manchurian.

For face lathering I wouldn’t exceed a
2 to 1 ratio of height to width with a fan shaped knot. Actually the configurator on the site should automatically select “ideal dementions”. It’s also worth noting that those brushes tend to run wide and short. That is to say the measure is of knot diameter not socket diameter. I believe you will find this to be true to all of Bernds brushes. So a 28mm will be similar in diameter to a simpsons chubby 3 and a 26mm to a chubby 2.

Loft can be a bit trickier. The only brush I ever got from Shavemac that was basically true to the ordered loft was a D01 2band that I wanted 2mm taller than the configurators recommendation. I’ve had others that ranged from 2 to 4mm short. I believe this to be because loft is measured from the top of the glue plug to the very top ofthe loft (I recently purchased a standalone knot and it measured exactly this way) then the knot is set deeper than simply need to contain the plug so it’s now shorter than you thought it would be.

The first photo is of a VP leonhardy that I reknoted with a shavemac D01
threeband 20x50mm

And the second is a silvertip 23x54mm
whose measure when you put calipers to it is 24x52mm

image.jpg

image.jpg

The 3band D01 I had was on paper 26x52mm but by my caliper closer to 27.5x52

And I also had a stand2band that was 26x54mm on paper but 27.5x52 by the caliper

Lastly there was a D01 3band that I ordered as 25x56 but came in as a bit shy of 26mm wide and surprisingly only a hair over 52mm tall.

If I were you ide get a 26x50mm.
I found mine at 52mm tall a bit to much though still excellent

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Great choice! Shavemac’s D01 is excellent, very similar to Simpsons Manchurian.

For face lathering I wouldn’t exceed a
2 to 1 ratio of height to width with a fan shaped knot. Actually the configurator on the site should automatically select “ideal dementions”. It’s also worth noting that those brushes tend to run wide and short. That is to say the measure is of knot diameter not socket diameter. I believe you will find this to be true to all of Bernds brushes. So a 28mm will be similar in diameter to a simpsons chubby 3 and a 26mm to a chubby 2.

Loft can be a bit trickier. The only brush I ever got from Shavemac that was basically true to the ordered loft was a D01 2band that I wanted 2mm taller than the configurators recommendation. I’ve had others that ranged from 2 to 4mm short. I believe this to be because loft is measured from the top of the glue plug to the very top ofthe loft (I recently purchased a standalone knot and it measured exactly this way) then the knot is set deeper than simply need to contain the plug so it’s now shorter than you thought it would be.

The first photo is of a VP leonhardy that I reknoted with a shavemac D01
threeband 20x50mm

And the second is a silvertip 23x54mm
whose measure when you put calipers to it is 24x52mm

View attachment 1104810

View attachment 1104811

The 3band D01 I had was on paper 26x52mm but by my caliper closer to 27.5x52

And I also had a stand2band that was 26x54mm on paper but 27.5x52 by the caliper

Lastly there was a D01 3band that I ordered as 25x56 but came in as a bit shy of 26mm wide and surprisingly only a hair over 52mm tall.

If I were you ide get a 26x50mm.
I found mine at 52mm tall a bit to much though still excellent

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom