What's new

Shavemac D01 two-band - best shape?

Hi all,

I've been drooling over people's Shavemacs for a while now. I have mixed opinions about Simpsons brushes (bulby, uneven knots, inconsistent QC) and Rooney (mainly shedding, and no longer available to buy in the UK once Executive Shaving runs out).

So, it's time for me to try a custom Shavemac! :w00t:

Now, I love Savile Row brushes - I feel the combination of the short-ish loft combined with the soft Silvertip hair, medium density and lovely rounded bulb shape makes for a fantastic brush.

So, the stock Shavemacs look a bit too similar. I want something that will complement my Savile Row and give a different experience.

I've have had a two-band Simpsons brush (from Trumpers) which was basically a Duke 3 yet with a very stiff, two-band bulbed knot. It was quite pointy, very stiff and pretty uncomfortable to use. I think the combo of pointy bulb and stiff hair doesn't work well, so I need advice on which shape you prefer in the D01 two-band hair?

I face lather soaps mainly. I think a 22mm extreme flat top may feel a bit too large - maybe a 20mm in fan or flat top? Or, if it works, bulb!? I know Shavemac's bulb shape is much flatter at the crown so this may work too! I want great backbone, soft tips, yet not so dense it's a lather hog.

Input much appreciated! :)

John

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hi all,

I've been drooling over people's Shavemacs for a while now. I have mixed opinions about Simpsons brushes (bulby, uneven knots, inconsistent QC) and Rooney (mainly shedding, and no longer available to buy in the UK once Executive Shaving runs out).

So, it's time for me to try a custom Shavemac! :w00t:

Now, I love Savile Row brushes - I feel the combination of the short-ish loft combined with the soft Silvertip hair, medium density and lovely rounded bulb shape makes for a fantastic brush.

So, the stock Shavemacs look a bit too similar. I want something that will complement my Savile Row and give a different experience.

I've have had a two-band Simpsons brush (from Trumpers) which was basically a Duke 3 yet with a very stiff, two-band bulbed knot. It was quite pointy, very stiff and pretty uncomfortable to use. I think the combo of pointy bulb and stiff hair doesn't work well, so I need advice on which shape you prefer in the D01 two-band hair?

I face lather soaps mainly. I think a 22mm extreme flat top may feel a bit too large - maybe a 20mm in fan or flat top? Or, if it works, bulb!? I know Shavemac's bulb shape is much flatter at the crown so this may work too! I want great backbone, soft tips, yet not so dense it's a lather hog.

Input much appreciated! :)

John

You can't go wrong with either extreme flattop or the fan. You are right about the size of the flattop, I have one in 19 mm and it is perfect. My recommendation is not to go above 22 mm with the flattop style, you have a lot of hair on your face. My next is a fan shaped one, I have the knot already. Most of my customers prefer the extreme flat, followed by the fan and I have made only a few bulb shaped brushes.

I received an e-mail today saying that my 22mm fan-shaped D01 has been shipped. Please feel free to shoot me a PM in a week or so and I will gladly post my thoughts on the brush. I enjoy both bulb and fan-shaped brushes and was sorely tempted by the idea of a flat-top.......... maybe next time!

Great choice :thumbup:. I have a few custom D)1 Shavemacs myself, one of which is a 2-band, 24mm knot, 48mm loft, bulb shape. This beast has the stiffest backbone of any of my 2-bands, including Morris & Forndran and Simpson (Chubby 1 & 2). The hairs on a 2-band are much thicker than a 3-band. In retrospect, I wish I had customized it to a 52mm loft. But, I still love the feel...stiff backbone with ultra soft tips. I prefer bulb shapes over flat or extreme flattop. But, just as an FYI: if you are face latherer, then you should probably consider the fan (or flattop) because there's very little splay on the bulb.

You can't go wrong with either extreme flattop or the fan. You are right about the size of the flattop, I have one in 19 mm and it is perfect. My recommendation is not to go above 22 mm with the flattop style, you have a lot of hair on your face. My next is a fan shaped one, I have the knot already. Most of my customers prefer the extreme flat, followed by the fan and I have made only a few bulb shaped brushes.

Would agree with Rudy here. If you like your Savile Row I'd say there is a 100% chance you will like it's blood relative the Shavemac.:wink2:

This +1 :thumbup:

The Shavemac Two-band has a LOT of backbone.
I think it might be uncomfortable to use with a too-bulb shaped brush.
And I don't really love the look of the flat top, so personally I would go with fan shaped.
Also I would recommend a 22mm knot with a 47-49mm loft.

I've only tried it in extreme flat. I liked it, but it reminded me of a flatter, less dense, less scritchy Rooney Finest. Kind of overlapped with my Rooney Finest too much and I preferred the Rooney. I'm sure I'll get one eventually in either Extreme flat or just a very flat fan. And those are the styles I'd recommend.

Top Bottom