What's new

Shavemac D01 or regular silvertip?

I'm thinking about finally going for it and getting my first silvertip badger. I think I'm pretty settled on Shavemac because I like their customizable options and reputation. I'm just not sure exactly what to go for. I know I want a bulb knot because I've never had that style. I face lather exclusively. Right now, my absolute favorite brush is the Semogue 620 boar due to the great backbone and scrubbing. I would like for my silvertip to have similar backbone, but with the luxury and soft tips of the silvertip. I'm trying to decide between the D01 or the regular silvertip. Any recommendations?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I'm thinking about finally going for it and getting my first silvertip badger. I think I'm pretty settled on Shavemac because I like their customizable options and reputation. I'm just not sure exactly what to go for. I know I want a bulb knot because I've never had that style. I face lather exclusively. Right now, my absolute favorite brush is the Semogue 620 boar due to the great backbone and scrubbing. I would like for my silvertip to have similar backbone, but with the luxury and soft tips of the silvertip. I'm trying to decide between the D01 or the regular silvertip. Any recommendations?

If you want backbone, then the D01 is the best option.

Another vote for the D01 if you want some backbone. Both are great brushes with the regular silvertip being softer.

I have several Shavemacs: Silvertip, 2-Band Silvertip and DO1 3-Band.

Hands down the DO1 is my favorite knot. It has all the great qualities others have mentioned, but in addition, the bulb shaped knots aren't as pointy as the silvertip knots. For me, that's a good thing.

I have several Shavemac brushes and the 5 below are all D0-1 3-bands and I agree with Rudy that these are among the best knots you can buy. The natural horn handle on the left was originally fitted with a 2-band D0-1 and I sent it back and had it changed for the 3-band. I've had several 2-bands and didn't care for them at all; they left my face red & blotchy. These are very dense knots and if you seek plenty of backbone with a soft touch the 3-band is excellent. For those who like to exfoliate, the 2-band may be the better choice. I say this with all the usual disclaimers about YMMV. You'll note that the loft in the center brush is shorter than the butterscotch to its left. That 4mm makes a material difference in the perceived "backbone".

$FullSizeRender.jpg

I find the current Shavemac Two Band Silvertip Badger knots soft as a pillow, most likely due to the hooked tips that form after several uses. I find the backbone to have the right amount of scrub that suits me just fine. These knots are also soft right out of the box and get even better with use.
I'm a face latherer and I love a Shavemac fan though there is no denying Bernd creates a beautifully symmetrical bulb. Probably one of the prettiest on the market today.
I have a Two Band D01 Fan on order and I look forward to trying it out when it arrives. From what I understand the D01 needs some break in time to truly appreciate the softness paired with significant backbone.
To be honest you need to try both to truly decide what you prefer. I will say that I am very happy with my two band silver tips and have no complaints.

Last edited:
The D01 3 band is a great knot. I had a 24x48 fan I eventually had to sell though because it was quite the lather hog and lacked the flow through I desired. I stick with regular 3 band silver stop from Shavemac now and am much happier.

Top Bottom