What's new

Shavemac D01 or D02 for face lathering?

Hello All,

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the D01 and D02 hair types from shavemac? I see on the site that the D02 is supposed to be stiffer and less soft , but does anyone have any personal experience with either of them? Would love to hear how they compare, and even compare to their 2 band silvertip.

I am a face latherer!

Thanks!

If you are asking for comparisons between D-01 knots in 2-Band and 3-Band hair, they are both fantastic. I have a couple of brushes with 2-Band knots and they are amongst my favourites- very scrubby and with lots of backbone. I know that some people find them to be overly scrubby and that would be my only concern. The 3-Band is also a very dense knot but is a little less scrubby and perhaps more towards mainstream tastes.

I have no experience with Shavemac's 2-Band Silvertip, but I would guess that it would be a little less dense than the D-01 knots.

@srnoob25 : I just went through this very shopping process this week. I wanted a larger brush, badger, with a lot of backbone for face lathering. I already have a large soft silver tip brush, which I love for bowl lathering (super soft), and a medium size best badger for face lathering (great backbone). I was looking for something in between.

What I learned is that I wanted the Shavemac D0-1 2 band, not the D0-1. [Thanks B&B members who helped me on that!] I haven't tried it yet, but everything I read suggested it will have the combination of size, density, stiffness, and "badgerosity" that I was looking for in a big face-lathering brush. YMMV of course, and I haven't received the brush yet, but that was my shopping experience.

I have Shavemac brushes and brushes with Shavemac knots in various grades. The Silvertip is the softest. It is the least dense of the knots. The Silvertip D01 is less soft than the regular Silvertip but has much more backbone. To me, it's a compromise brush: in between the Silvertip and two band D01. It is excellent for face lathering. The two band D01 is one the densest brushes I own - and stiffest. It is superb at loading hard soaps. Some people find it too scrtichy - but I like it.

@srnoob25 : I just went through this very shopping process this week. I wanted a larger brush, badger, with a lot of backbone for face lathering. I already have a large soft silver tip brush, which I love for bowl lathering (super soft), and a medium size best badger for face lathering (great backbone). I was looking for something in between.

What I learned is that I wanted the Shavemac D0-1 2 band, not the D0-1. [Thanks B&B members who helped me on that!] I haven't tried it yet, but everything I read suggested it will have the combination of size, density, stiffness, and "badgerosity" that I was looking for in a big face-lathering brush. YMMV of course, and I haven't received the brush yet, but that was my shopping experience.
Thanks for this! What size knot and loft did you end up going with? I'm thinking of going with 24mm by 50mm. I still can't decide between the D0-1 and D0-1 2band. I'm leaning toward the 2band just because it's $10 more expensive, and I don't feel like always wishing I paid the extra $10.

The D01 is softer and less stuff than the D01-2band?

I ordered the 24 mm by 50 mm knot in a fan pattern. My understanding is that the D0-1 2 band is a stiffer knot than the regular D0-1, but I'm just going by research, and the advice from B&B members, not personal experience.

I've got a 23X50 3 band fan and a 20X44 2 band flat top. The 3 band has a bit of scritch when swirling. Feels similar to my Duke best but denser so more backbone. The 2 band has much more scritch, bordering on scratch. It has a ton of backbone. Both are soft when using painting strokes.
As a face latherer, I prefer the Manchurian White from Elite Razor. Super soft tips with zero scritch, excellent backbone and great flow through.

What's everyones preference on fan vs bulb knot for face lathering? As someone who has only ever used a bulb, I'm hesitant spending $160 on something I don't even know I like, but if the majority like it better, then maybe I consider.

What's everyones preference on fan vs bulb knot for face lathering? As someone who has only ever used a bulb, I'm hesitant spending $160 on something I don't even know I like, but if the majority like it better, then maybe I consider.

I use a brush pretty aggressively when face lathering, so it doesn't matter to me.

I realize I'm probably wearing out my brush faster, but I like it for the same reason I like wearing out tires and brakes on a fast car.

I have bulb, fan, and hybrid brushes and like them all. I face lather most of the time and I really don't see that much of a difference - but I am probably a minority who thinks that way.

Just a suggestion, but do a search on "Shavemac". There are quite a few threads. It's probably 4 months since I read them, but there's quite a bit written about the regular 2 band, and the 2 DO-1 options. If I remember correctly, the DO-1's are not for everyone. Maybe invest a little time in reading before you drop that kind of cash.
Just a suggestion.

Mark

IMG_4136.JPG
D01-2 band. Best brush I own

Top Bottom