What's new

Shavemac D01 2-band vs. SOC 2-band

I was wondering how these two knots compare, especially in terms of scrubbiness, backbone, lather release and scritch.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I find the Semogue 2 band to be more prickly than the D01, but releases lather well. As for the D01, it depends on the size of the knot you get, IMO. For instance, on my TSN LE with D01 2 band, it releases lather extremely well. On one of my other D01 2 bands with a larger knot size it took a little breaking in to get to where my TSN LE was from out the box.

Bump. Please help. I need some information before making a purchase and am anxious to pull the trigger.

The Shavemac D01 2-band I have (custom - handle 167 in blackbrown with a bulb 24/50 loft) is nicely scrubby and has tons of backbone. I do like it but do not use it every day. I use it every 2 or 3 days or whenever I want to kill a soap.

I am planning on buying an additional 2 and will move from bulb shaped knot to fanshaped knots as I only use hard soaps. Fan knots pick up more soap and are easier to face lather with than bulb knots. I would advise to go 24/52 with fan shape knot in D01 2-band. Anything below 50 may become too scrubby/backbone like but YMMV. Shavemac knots are extremely dense so prepare to load soaps longer or harder.

I'm also considering a 24/50 in D01 (no 2-band) as it will still allow for significant backbone (2-band is amazing on that front), but still be a bit "nicer" to the face. No current experience with SOC knots and Shavemac D01 knots, only Shavemac Silvertip and Shavemac D01 2-band. Love them both but think the D01 will be the sweet spot on a 24/50 fan shaped configuration. Planning on the 167 handle (again) with Turtoise material.

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any additional feedback on this subject.

I have an SOC 2-band, and I love it. It's got tremendous backbone. I do not consider it scritchy. It's got some scrub, meaning a bit of exfoliating quality when I use it, but it's not prickly like the cheap pure badger that was my first brush.

I'm considering a Shavemac DO1 2-band. It would be a big brush - 26mm knot and a 56mm loft. I bowl lather soaps exclusively, and this is the size that Bernd from Shavemac recommends for me.

So for those of you who've had both a D01 2-band and an SOC 2-band, will I like the Shavemac? Will it have backbone similar to the SOC, or will it be much stiffer? I don't mind a bit more scrub as long as it's not sharp and prickly feeling on my face.

Nick

I have a SOC 2-band and the D01 3-band. All I have heard about the D01 2-band is that it has the stiffest backbone of any brushes/knots, that means easily more backbone the the SOC. For me that is more than needed and I would personally go for a lower loft D01 3 band. The D01 2-band might be overkill.

I'd recommend you get in contact with Bernd B. at Shavemac, describe what you would like (in terms of performance) and he will recommend the perfect brush.

I found the Shavemac D01 2-band to be quite scritchy with a lot of scrub. It has softened up over time but not by much. I still have more breaking in to do. I had a brief run with the SOC 2-band, it was also somewhat scritchy, but with no scrub. If the SOC were in an acrylic handle I would probably prefer that to the D01. If the D01 continues to soften up with a break-in, I would gladly keep it in my rotation permanently.

I have a SOC 2-band and the D01 3-band. All I have heard about the D01 2-band is that it has the stiffest backbone of any brushes/knots, that means easily more backbone the the SOC. For me that is more than needed and I would personally go for a lower loft D01 3 band. The D01 2-band might be overkill.

I'd recommend you get in contact with Bernd B. at Shavemac, describe what you would like (in terms of performance) and he will recommend the perfect brush.

How is the backbone of the D01 3-band compared to the SOC? Someone else I respect here on B&B has PM'd me with the recommendation that I consider the 3-band instead of the 2-band. I don't want any less backbone than the SOC - the 2-band Thater I had was way too floppy for me. The backbone of the SOC 2-band is just about right for me, but I'd prefer a slightly larger brush.

I did write to Bernd, but I was already asking him about the 2-band, rather than asking his advice on which badger hair was best for me. In the 2-band, he suggested the 26mm knot and the 56mm loft as being the right amount of backbone for my tastes.

I found the Shavemac D01 2-band to be quite scritchy with a lot of scrub. It has softened up over time but not by much. I still have more breaking in to do. I had a brief run with the SOC 2-band, it was also somewhat scritchy, but with no scrub. If the SOC were in an acrylic handle I would probably prefer that to the D01. If the D01 continues to soften up with a break-in, I would gladly keep it in my rotation permanently.

Interesting that I have the opposite opinion of the SOC 2-band - not really scritchy, but a nice amount of scrub.

I guess I'd better do some extra research on the D01 3-band, and perhaps send another note to Bernd at Shavemac.

This is my first high end brush, and my first custom order, so it's not an easy decision. As I don't have a lot budget for brushes (or much room in my tiny shave den) I'm trying to make the right choice.

Nick

I have never used the SOC two band but I have a d01 two band bulb shaped 24mm knot with a 46mm loft. It has by far the most backbone of any brush I have ever used, I mean it ain't close. There is absolutely no scritch at all with my d01. In fact it has very soft tips. I have always pictured the d01 two band as a face latherers brush. I personally would not consider it for bowl lathering.

With the higher loft I'm considering, is there any reason why the DO1 two band wouldn't be a great bowl lathering brush?

Nick
I'm sure it would work just fine. It's just that the d01 two bands forte is face lathering. Get one, it just may turn you into a face latherer.

With the higher loft I'm considering, is there any reason why the DO1 two band wouldn't be a great bowl lathering brush?

Nick

Even with an extra high loft a Shavemac D01 2-band will never be floppy. Just to much backbone.
All folks praising their Kents BK ... for bowl lathering, are getting huge amounts of lather because these brushes spread pretty wide when wet and have a pretty floppy character.
This is just the opposite of what you want for face lathering.
Disclaimer :wink2: : I face lather and not have a Kent myself

How is the backbone of the D01 3-band compared to the SOC? Someone else I respect here on B&B has PM'd me with the recommendation that I consider the 3-band instead of the 2-band. I don't want any less backbone than the SOC - the 2-band Thater I had was way too floppy for me. The backbone of the SOC 2-band is just about right for me, but I'd prefer a slightly larger brush. ... Nick

Sorry for not getting back to you on this one earlier.
My D01 3-band has less back bone than my SOC 2-band but it is far from floppy. I would still recommend to have a custom size D01 (3-band) knot with larger diamater but pretty short loft, like 28x 50 ? Bernd will give advice how low you can go without getting a bad flow through.

It seems the D01 2-band is a challenger.
People say "It's a great brush" but I have not heard anyone saying "That's my favorite brush" or "I love it".

Both bushes would be good for what you want. Neither will collapse on you, but the Shavemac D01-2 band will pushback more during use. They will do a fine job. They take more time to break in-especially the Shavemac. Strong backbone & soft tips-good scrub & no prickly feeling. The only question is what loft. If you go with 2 to 1 ratio or greater you will be able to use it for bowl lathering and possibly face lathering as well, depending how much you go over the 2 to 1 ratio. Mine are all below that ratio because I face later exclusively, however I can bowl later just fine. The only limiting factor is the handle hitting the bowl (clanking) and getting soap all over my hands..
Good Luck,
Vic

I prefer the shavemac D01-2 band because it is a stronger brush. Shavemac is my favorite of all brushes I've tried. I have few of them.

Top Bottom