What's new

Shavemac brushes?

I have just recently been looking on their website and they have some real nice looking brushes. Im thinking of buying a silvertip hand made one. I m no expert in brushes, what do you guys think about shavemac?

They are great brushes, no doubt. If you give us some parameters you are looking for, we can be of even more help getting you set up with the perfect brush, whether Shavemac or otherwise.

Excellent brushes. Also, if you don't see EXACTLY what you want, don't be shy about asking Bernd to make it.

Well, i want something not to stiff but im worried the silvertip might be too soft. I dont have a very tough beard(dont know if that helps). From what i have been reading maybe pure or best is for me.
I have put this photo in, something that toolk my fancy.:001_smile
Aky

THAT is a beautiful brush! I have a crush on those Shavemacs--just love that light bulb shape.

S

Sam

I had a 23mm Shavemac that looked like that but in tortoise handle. It was silvertip. Trust me, it is one soft brush and it is not all that stiff. I wanted one a little stiffer and I should either have had Bernd use extra Badger hair or get it in finest. I think I personally would have gotten more hair, since I do not know if the finest is stiffer. I really love Shavemacs. The XXL is a 30mm knot and it makes decadent lather from creams. I think it will work on soaps as well now that I got a small Ziploc Snap and Seal bowl (the S size) and have room to lather the brush on the soap and create a little lather in the bowl. The lather will just dry up around the cake and be available for the next lathering which is not a big deal. I am getting a small 23mm or so brush for soaps in those little wooden bowls and for travel.

Now, you can get whiter tips on brushes and you can get more expensive brushes, and you can get denser brushes, but overall, this line is a value and it is a fantastic product. Sure, personal preferences play a big role, but I am so glad that Joel started the Shavemac bandwagon with SMF1.

sam

Sam said:
I had a 23mm Shavemac that looked like that but in tortoise handle. It was silvertip. Trust me, it is one soft brush and it is not all that stiff. I wanted one a little stiffer and I should either have had Bernd use extra Badger hair or get it in finest. I think I personally would have gotten more hair, since I do not know if the finest is stiffer. I really love Shavemacs. The XXL is a 30mm knot and it makes decadent lather from creams. I think it will work on soaps as well now that I got a small Ziploc Snap and Seal bowl (the S size) and have room to lather the brush on the soap and create a little lather in the bowl. The lather will just dry up around the cake and be available for the next lathering which is not a big deal. I am getting a small 23mm or so brush for soaps in those little wooden bowls and for travel.

Now, you can get whiter tips on brushes and you can get more expensive brushes, and you can get denser brushes, but overall, this line is a value and it is a fantastic product. Sure, personal preferences play a big role, but I am so glad that Joel started the Shavemac bandwagon with SMF1.

sam
This is very different from my experience. I have a 26mm custom silvertip that I've found to have very good stiffness.

The brush thats in the photo is about 23mm.
Maybe finest might be not too stiff and not too soft.(im sounding like the story with goldilocks and the three little bears:biggrin: )

Sam mentioned that maybe he should have gotten more hair in his brush. Is that possible? I know shavemac will do customs, but will they actually extra pack your knot for a denser brush? That would be good information. Although it is a little late for me, since I just ordered a shavemac yesterday....

S

Sam

Moses: Over at SMF, Jerry (Climb14er) did that exact same thing. He contacted Bernd and it was a 23mm knot I think, as he was wanting to replace a size 40 or 41 Vulfix and wanted something a bit more substantial. I think the extra hair in Silvertip was like $17.

Sam

Wow... That's service. Wish I'd known that before I ordered.... Ah well, next time... this shaving habit is starting to get expensive.

S

Sam

Moses: Why delay? Call him now - he may not have yet made it or may keep it in stock and sell it and make you one. You can report back to us on this beefed up Shavemac

Sam

Well, I just saw the last post and decided to give it a try just now, so I am sure he is closed for business for the time being, given the time difference. I sent an email, and will report on any developments.

I own a Shavemac XXL Horn Imitation Brush. It's works great with soaps and creams. It easily makes a ton of lather. I couldn't ask for a better brush.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
roughrider said:
I own a Shavemac XXL Horn Imitation Brush. It's works great with soaps and creams. It easily makes a ton of lather. I couldn't ask for a better brush.

full

full

Thats a real nice brush roughrider. How much did it set you back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom