What's new

Shavemac brush advice

Hey everyone,

I could use a little help. I have a Merkur Razor and brush stand (904002001). It is a beautiful piece but the only drawback is that the opening for the brush is just over 22.5mm wide. This severely limits the size of brush that I can use.

I want to get a Shavemac brush and emailed Bernd who says that a 22mm knot would be too big to fit. I sent a follow up email asking what size knot would fit, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Given that the knot would be quite small, any suggestions as to which type of hair I should go with, Silvertip 2-Band, Silvertip D01, or Silvertip D01 2-Band. I prefer to have the bulb shape unless otherwise convinced.

I would love to get your thoughts.

No matter how much I like a stand, I would not compromise on brush size for the sake of keeping the stand.

With my last Shavemac brush purchase I ordered the stainless steel stand that pretty much works for any brush size I own.

B.

Hey everyone,

I could use a little help. I have a Merkur Razor and brush stand (904002001). It is a beautiful piece but the only drawback is that the opening for the brush is just over 22.5mm wide. This severely limits the size of brush that I can use.

I want to get a Shavemac brush and emailed Bernd who says that a 22mm knot would be too big to fit. I sent a follow up email asking what size knot would fit, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Given that the knot would be quite small, any suggestions as to which type of hair I should go with, Silvertip 2-Band, Silvertip D01, or Silvertip D01 2-Band. I prefer to have the bulb shape unless otherwise convinced.

I would love to get your thoughts.
Typically the knot is about 1mm to 1.5mm smaller than the opening in the handle. The knot will expand, or “bloom” if you will, to fill that small space, and behave as designed.

I really like my little 21mm Shavemac Finest. One of my favorites.

No matter how much I like a stand, I would not compromise on brush size for the sake of keeping the stand.

Same thoughts here. It's really not worth getting a smaller brush than suits your preferences just because it will fit in a stand, especially when you're looking at such a potentially costly brush; and a knot of around 20mm really is quite small. Get a 24mm two band silvertip in whatever handle you like and it will serve you very well. My Shavemac in finest is ok, but the two band is exceptional. Get a new stand for it, or just set it on its base after use; either would work equally well.

“No matter how much I like a stand, I would not compromise on brush size for the sake of keeping the stand.”

^^^^^this +100
The brush is a critical, enjoyable part of a shave; the stand is not. Get a great brush.
Then you can find an inexpensive, even plastic, holder for inverted brush drying.

I agree with the previous comments. I would not sacrifice brush diameter to fit a stand. Buy a brush you like in the size you prefer.

...I really like my little 21mm Shavemac Finest. One of my favorites.

Dang DrCarver that's a nice set up you got there. Very cool!

Of the 3 shavemac's I own, all ordered as 23mm, 2 are ~2mm over knot size and one is ~1.5mm. This is measured with Mitutoyo Digital calipers on 3 sides taking the maximum diameter and rounded up for some slack to you.

So a 20mm 'should' wind up fitting your stand by 1/2mm. If it's tight it shouldn't be an issue to roll the brush in the stand to dry. We're talking 1/2mm error here.

Hair - can't help you. I love shavemac Pure hair. Been eye balling the Silvertip 2 Band lately though.

Last edited:

With my last Shavemac brush purchase I ordered the stainless steel stand that pretty much works for any brush size I own.

B.

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of stands, but for those who are I think the one Bernd sells looks to be one of the best.

Top Bottom