What's new

Shavemac advice needed!

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a custom shavemac brush but am finding it difficult to pull the trigger.
I have one shavemac brush which is great ( the one in the picture). It’s a Silvertip bulb with a 22mm knot and 54mm in height.
Again, it’s great, smooth, holds a lot of lather but a find it a bit too pointy and stiff for me while face lathering.

I face lather probably 75% of my shaves but really enjoy bowl lathering also.

I would like a less pointy, slightly less stiff brush but don’t really know which direction is best.
Fan instead of bulb?
Less dense?
Longer hair?

This is what I am leaning towards:

-2 band (might be too dense but have never had a 2 band so would like to try it)
-fan
-22mm knot, 48mm length

I am a bit torn because I think a bulb looks much better so a softer floppier soft bulb could also be a great choice.
proxy.php

Any advice would be appreciated!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger on a Shavemac too. The bulb appeals to me because it looks like it would be easier to keep the lather in the mug since it might not splay out as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvertip is the most soft shavemac brush.

Two band is stiffer and has more density.

I would suggest to get (again) a silvertip fan shape 20mm knot with 52mm hair length.

Myself, I like the brush to be stiff and dense. Therefore I suggest to you the worse that would be for me :ihih:

I have a Shavemac 22mm x 54mm fan knot in pure badger and it doesn't have any backbone at all so if your getting a fan shaped knot don't get the loft too high especially if your going to buy a regular 3 band silvertip in fan.

I suppose people feel things differently, so it's hard to judge. What I can say is I have a 25/54 silver tip badger fan brush from Shavemac, and I find the knot quite soft. I'll also add I'm a bowl latherer and primarily use the brush to paint the lather on my face.

ShavemacTieDie25mmSTBadger.jpg

To add, I'm also in the process of ordering a brush from Rudy Vey. The knot will be a Shavemac 24mm 2-band silver tip bulb, and it sounds like Rudy will prefer a loft in the 48-50mm range for this knot. I will trust his expertise.

Yes I would definitely recommend talking to Rudy. I have this one which is a 24mm 2 band silvertip fan set about 48/49mm loft. It is a very nice combination of backbone and softness. Really a pleasure to use face lathering.
IMG_5290.JPG

I would like a less pointy, slightly less stiff brush but don’t really know which direction is best.
Fan instead of bulb?
Less dense?
Longer hair?

You could always email Berndt, at Shavemac, asking what he would recommend. I'm not sure how fast communication will be under the current circumstances, but it was always very swift when I had questions in the past.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I decided to build a Shavemac that would perform similarly to a Savile Row. Went with a black handle and a Silvertip knot with the recommended dimensions for a 25mm. Hoping it’ll be similar to my Kent BLK8 with a bit less flop.

I have used D01 3 Band and 2 Band silvertip in the past also. Nowadays I prefer some nice flow through so I would go for something of medium density. For 2 Band, the 2 Band silvertip is a great brush.

I don't have any experience with Shavemac so take this for what it's worth. Your dimensions sound close to what I have with my TGN / Ever Ready brush which I documented here. Mine is set a little lower, but mine may not be as dense as the Shavemac.

I'd say you're on the right track though. I've been using mine for 6 years and I think it's about perfect. Edited: I only use it for face lathering.

Shavemac's Silvertip 2-Band in Fan or hybrid Fan would be something you might like.
This is Shavemac's softest 2-Band hair with moderate backbone.
Good luck.

You could always email Bernd, at Shavemac, asking what he would recommend. I'm not sure how fast communication will be under the current circumstances, but it was always very swift when I had questions in the past.
+1
Any advice would be appreciated!
I would definitely email Bernd ([email protected]). Copying your OP to him would let him know (more or less) exactly what you require. :wink2:

Thanks for all the useful tips [emoji2][emoji1360]

Go for a Shavemac 2-band fan. I own 2 Thater 2-band brushes, 24 & 26mm/52-54mm bulbs. I love them, but last week, I had member, Rudy Vey, replace a 3-band Rooney knot in a T&H (Rooney) handle with a 24mm (48-49mm) 2-band Shavemac fan and I couldn't be happier with it.

The brush has been ordered! Will post a pic as soon as it comes in [emoji2]

I ordered a 21mm/48mm fan shaped 2 band. Very curious to see how it turns out

That's a pretty high loft for a 21mm knot ... I would have gone for a slightly bigger knot with a shorter loft like 24/46-47. But I face lather exclusively. And such a short loft isn't going to work so well wipping up in a bowl.
Exellent choice of hair (Silver tip 2-band). Keep us updated how you like your custom brush.

Yes I could be too high but I hope not. Will post them this month hopefully

Top Bottom