What's new

Shavemac 23mm compared to 30mm

I have a 30mm shavemac and like the densisity of the brush that keeps the brush soft yet firm, and was wondering how it compares to the smaller 23mm size. I've read from a lot of people that they find them to be more floppy. Is that SR-208 floppy? Or just floppy compared to the larger 28-30mm shavemacs? I find the 30mm a little larger than I like, and even the SR-208 to be too big (and way to soft, for my liking). I love my PJ2, but want another small brush that's similair, and was looking towards the shavemac 23mm. Any input would be much appreciated.

30 mm is one big honkin' brush. The SR-208 is quite floppy (which I like); you will find the smaller Shavemacs (and Savile Row silvertips, unlike the 208) to have more backbone, even in smaller knot sizes.

I hate to even say it, but if you like very firm bristle shafts and soft tips, Simpson is your best bet.

The 23 MM Shavemac is my favorite brush its plenty big holds tons of water soft but not moppy well made and it looks like a light bulb!
The coustermer service of Bernd is world class also.....
:biggrin: :biggrin:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

What other brushes do you have in your arsenal? A lot of people enjoy the SR super's (204,208,212), but I found it to be way to soft and splays out quite a bit. If you've ever tried one, could you compare it to the 23mm shavemac?

Scotto said:
The SR-208 is quite floppy (which I like); you will find the smaller Shavemacs to have more backbone, even in smaller knot sizes.

Hey Slider...Scotto was comparing the 23mm Shavemac with the SR-208...

Scotto said:
30 mm is one big honkin' brush. The SR-208 is quite floppy (which I like); you will find the smaller Shavemacs (and Savile Row silvertips, unlike the 208) to have more backbone, even in smaller knot sizes.

I hate to even say it, but if you like very firm bristle shafts and soft tips, Simpson is your best bet.

Slider

No SR here but it seems like Scotto has !

In the field at the moment is a Sunshine from Omega a #3 small Rooney in silvertip a 23 MM shavemac (a 177 I think) and a 26MM Omega/Blankity-blanks.

Like many other pursuits I have found that bigger is not better but better mostly always is better....YMMV

attachment.php

If you like that soft yet firm feeling, then from most extreme to least (among brushes I own): Simpson, SR silvertip/Shavemac, various super grades. If you don't mind a bit of scritch, there are lots of other options including Shavemac finest grade, etc.

I don't even find my Shavemac finest to be remotely scritchy. Every time my girlfriend feels it, she comments on how soft it is. But then, my selection of soft brushes to compare to is limited. It feels softer (but more firm) than Vulfix #41 super. Softer also than Simpsons Super. Nice stuff....

I have a Shavemac #22558, 23mm Finest, and it is not floppy like a SR 208. Like Scotto says, it is firm yet yielding and soft (just not quite as soft as silvertip). The Savile Row silvertips are outstanding -- nothing like the Supers mentioned. I have the SR 3722 & SR 3824; both very good brushes that do not splay open of flop at all.

S

Sam

I had the XXL Shavemac with the 30mm knot and bought a 23mm Shavemac. It is soft and it is not floppy, but it does open up much more than the 30mm. I am seriously thinking of having another 23 or 25mm Shavemac and getting Bernd to use more hair, which is a slight upcharge last I checked of $17. I liked it, with the faceted tortoise and the silver ring at the bottom (added too much weight). It is just that the 30mm on my XXL hardly opens up and the 23mm did. However, it is and was finer than many other brushes I tried. Afraid that Shavemac sets the bar very high and everything gets measured to the 30mm brush

Sam

Top Bottom