What's new

Shavemac 22579 is shedding

Hi guys,
I've been using a shavemac 22579 for a month or so now and have grown quite fond of it. About a week ago it started shedding 2-3 hairs per shave and has kept on shedding at that rate since. I realize that some shedding is normal but I would have expected this right away instead of after a time. Has anybody had a similar experience with the shavemac line?
Thanks,
Jeff

I've got 4 Shavemac brushes. If any of them have lost more than a dozen bristles, I would be surprised. What you describe would make sense for the first week, maybe two. But to begin this late, it does not sound normal.

Randy

I have the same brush (two months old) and the same problem. In addition to the shedding, many of the hairs on my brush are breaking off at the tips.

The brush is going back to Bernd, and I'm sure that he will take care of it, but at the moment I am not amused. :mad:

The expression "sh*& happens" applies here. Bernd offers first class brushes. Very seldom a problem. We've seen this same thing happen with Savile Row (the one's supposedly made by Kent) in the past, and more recently Kent brushes directly from their ebay store. No doubt it's an inconvenience, but check with Bernd and give him a chance to rectify the situation. He is a first class vendor!

Randy

From what I have read Bernd provides top notch customer service. I sent him an email tonight and am hoping this is the case. The larger problem for me is that this is the only brush I have a the moment (I foolishly traded my Vulfix 2234 some weeks ago). If I need to send the brush back to Germany I will be sans brush for the duration of the repair + whatever time customs holds up the return shipping. I suppose one could use this as an excuse to buy a new brush. I've been saving up for a Simpson Major but I don't know that I want to use a travel brush as my daily brush for an extended period of time. I am also interested in the Shavemac 102 (not sure it makes sense to order another shavemac as the result of needing a replacement while its sister is being repaired) and the Simpson PJ3. Thoughts? We really should work out some kind of rotation program so that we members may sample some different brushes.
Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff,

We already have that rotation program in place. It's called SBAD. Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder. Let Bernd know that this is your only brush. I'm sure something can be worked out.

Randy

Agent86 said:
I have the same brush (two months old) and the same problem. In addition to the shedding, many of the hairs on my brush are breaking off at the tips.
Sounds familiar...

My Shavemac has consistently lost 1-2 hairs per shave since I purchased it a few months ago. Recently, the shedding has increased to 5-10 hairs and some tip breakage.

After contacting Bernd, he instructed me to return the brush for examination and has also volunteered to reimburse my shipping costs.

Despite the fact that the brush's condition has me upset, Bernd is certainly going about taking care of this in the right way. I am confident that we will end with a pleasing resolution.

Sounds like a batch of "bad" hair made its way into the brush works. It happens and often this kind of thing (beaking at the tips in particular) is difficult if not impossible to detect in advance. Could have been a sterilization issue. But, all of that said, I have great confidence in Herr Blos integrity. This is one I would lose no sleep over if I were you.

I wouldn't think for one second that Bernd won't make this right and you guys will come out smelling like roses. Remember fellas, these handcrafted items do at times have issues, just like any other handmade item. I agree w/Ron, sounds like maybe a batch of bad hair made it out to Wendelstein.

Just rest assured that Bernd has not built his impeccible reputation off of bad brushes. Just take a breath, know that this stuff happens from time to time with any handmade item and exhale easily knowing it will be rectified in short order. :smile: In my book, Bernd's brushes second to none.

Shavemac does make a great brush, I have only had my brush for one week, but it has not lost a single hair. Good luck, but I am shure things will be made right.
Cheers, DJ.

Kyle said:
Recently, the shedding has increased to 5-10 hairs and some tip breakage.

Tip breakage for you too, huh?

Kyle, is any of the hair in your Shavemac hooked? Originally, all the the hairs in my brush were straight at the tips. After a bit of use they started to hook, and then break off.

Another odd thing...there are hairs in my brush that don't look like badger. I only noticed this when they came out. They are very fine, uniform in color from base to tip, and very "squiggly". The hair looks like it came from a golden retriever...maybe a chow. Anyone else with these mystery hairs?

I'm not sure how the tips started out, but I did notice a couple of days ago that they are somewhat hooked. I have not, however, seen any of the squigglies that you've got.

Hooking doesn't mean they are defective. It is just an attribute of some badger hairs. I have brushes with hooked bristles that have never lost or broken a hair.

Scotto said:
Hooking doesn't mean they are defective. It is just an attribute of some badger hairs. I have brushes with hooked bristles that have never lost or broken a hair.
Scotto,
I think they are saying they developed a hook, not quite the same as the barbed badger.

guenron said:
I think they are saying they developed a hook, not quite the same as the barbed badger.

Yes, the hair in my brush was straight, then some became hooked with use. I should add that only a small percentage is hooked.

Top Bottom