What's new

Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Question

I’ll preface this post by saying that my Badger brush experience is limited to a Stirling Finest Fan (24mm).

I just received a Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip (26mm/52 loft Fan) - not D01. However, it feels noticeably “Scritchy” or sharp/harsh/rough, much more than the aforementioned Stirling brush in Finest. It definitely aggravated my neck. Apparently this is supposed to be Shavemac’s softest knot. With that said, it only has 2 shaves on it.

Should I expect it to soften over time? I know this is a somewhat debatable topic. Or, is it feasible that I didn’t receive a Silvertip? My only other experience with a Silvertip brush was at an AOS store where the tips felt almost as soft as my Plissoft Synthetic.

Here are some pics. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 4208DD1D-4529-465A-A21C-47D7E1BA72D0.jpeg
    4208DD1D-4529-465A-A21C-47D7E1BA72D0.jpeg
    916.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 17F4C5AB-0F8F-4B21-B487-87486FC3CF49.jpeg
    17F4C5AB-0F8F-4B21-B487-87486FC3CF49.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
  • 50591AFC-4501-4685-88D2-4D6D333C1A9F.jpeg
    50591AFC-4501-4685-88D2-4D6D333C1A9F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 126
Sorry I'm no help, but I'm super interested b/c I've had the jones for that combination of handle and knot (though I want a bulb). That handle shape is one of my two favorites (have a Razorock Bruce).

Sorry I'm no help, but I'm super interested b/c I've had the jones for that combination of handle and knot (though I want a bulb). That handle shape is one of my two favorites (have a Razorock Bruce).

Hopefully one of the brush gurus will respond! Ha. I have 2 Big Bruce’s. Amazing brush. I may be headed back to synthetics if the supposed “Silvertip” is actually supposed to feel this scritchy ;) We shall see.

I don't have that brush either but badger brushes require presoaking and break in. The only exception I am aware of is Fanchurian badger from Grizzly Bay it needs just presoaking and soft and not scrubby right from the box

I am by no means an expert on Shavemac (Rudy, where are you?). The 2 band silvertip should have some backbone and a bit of scrub to it, but will soften after initial break-in. The finest has less backbone and therefore less scrub. The finest has more flop so to speak, which I personally do not like as much as the 2 band silvertip. The 2 band silvertip will never be soft like a synthetic and I personally wouldn't want it to.

If you go to Shavemac's website, they give excellent descriptions of their badger hair...

If you really do not end up liking it, it will sell quickly on BST.

I am by no means an expert on Shavemac (Rudy, where are you?). The 2 band silvertip should have some backbone and a bit of scrub to it, but will soften after initial break-in. The finest has less backbone and therefore less scrub. The finest has more flop so to speak, which I personally do not like as much as the 2 band silvertip. The 2 band silvertip will never be soft like a synthetic and I personally wouldn't want it to.

If you go to Shavemac's website, they give excellent descriptions of their badger hair...

If you really do not end up liking it, it will sell quickly on BST.

Thanks! The Shavemac website badger hair descriptions page was what I utilized to decide upon my brush choice. The 2 band was touted as being the softest (rated 9) next the the standard Silvertip (10). I've been reading reviews for months, where everyone touts the "softness" of the knots tips. I guess soft is extremely relative in this case, especially when compared to Synthetics, haha. Now, I definitely didn't expect it to be as soft as my Plissoft, but I figured it would be a little softer than the Stirling Finest, and somewhat comparable to the AOS Silvertip badger that I felt. It's kind of hard to gauge the feeling of these brushes as they aren't really out in the wild at brick and mortar locations. Oh well. It's still a fine, extremely well made brush. I'll give it a little more time to possibly "break in" some more.

Much appreciated.

Thanks! The Shavemac website badger hair descriptions page was what I utilized to decide upon my brush choice. The 2 band was touted as being the softest (rated 9) next the the standard Silvertip (10). I've been reading reviews for months, where everyone touts the "softness" of the knots tips. I guess soft is extremely relative in this case, especially when compared to Synthetics, haha. Now, I definitely didn't expect it to be as soft as my Plissoft, but I figured it would be a little softer than the Stirling Finest, and somewhat comparable to the AOS Silvertip badger that I felt. It's kind of hard to gauge the feeling of these brushes as they aren't really out in the wild at brick and mortar locations. Oh well. It's still a fine, extremely well made brush. I'll give it a little more time to possibly "break in" some more.

Much appreciated.
I think you will learn to love the knot. it is tops with me and many others. The 2 band is more dense, which adds to the backbone and in turn a bit of scrub. Try a boar, then go back to the 2 band silvertip and you will notice the softness!

I’ll preface this post by saying that my Badger brush experience is limited to a Stirling Finest Fan (24mm).

I just received a Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip (26mm/52 loft Fan) - not D01. However, it feels noticeably “Scritchy” or sharp/harsh/rough, much more than the aforementioned Stirling brush in Finest. It definitely aggravated my neck. Apparently this is supposed to be Shavemac’s softest knot. With that said, it only has 2 shaves on it.

Should I expect it to soften over time? I know this is a somewhat debatable topic. Or, is it feasible that I didn’t receive a Silvertip? My only other experience with a Silvertip brush was at an AOS store where the tips felt almost as soft as my Plissoft Synthetic.

Here are some pics. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Have you tried soaking the brush for a longer time? Bristles usually get softer once they're soaked and I'm not sure how your shave routine is.

I have a 2 band silvertip and mine is not very scritchy at all. Its well broken in, and I can't recall if it had more scritch at the beginning. My understanding is that the D01 knots would be subject to scritchiness as a factor of their density.

@Rudy Vey Rudy, from your experience with Shavemac knots, could you please weigh in on OP's concern? Thanks in advance.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a 2 band silvertip and mine is not very scritchy at all. Its well broken in, and I can't recall if it had more scritch at the beginning. My understanding is that the D01 knots would be subject to scritchiness as a factor of their density.

@Rudy Vey Rudy, from your experience with Shavemac knots, could you please weigh in on OP's concern? Thanks in advance.

I have never heard from any of my customers that this knot is scritchy. Used hundreds of these knots in my brushes and never had any complain. I have myself 6 or 7 brushes with the silvertip two-band - in both bulb and fan shape - and they are all very soft. I would even go so far to say it is over all the years I use this hair, it is the most consistent.

I have two brushes with this knot, one bought new, one bought used. Soft as can be from the day I received them. Backbone, but no scritch. I’ve had scritchy brushes, these are not.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess, when compared to other "badger" brushes, many may construe it as being "soft", especially when compared to other "badger" brushes, and for those that are primarily used to using badgers.

However, I personally wouldn't call it "soft" from an objective standpoint, especially as it compares to my synthetics. I know, I shouldn't compare them to the softness of a synthetic. However, that's the comparative platform I have available, in addition to the one other Finest badger I have from Stirling, which, right now, I would actually consider softer. Again, I'm still "breaking in" the Shavemac. From what's been written, it's not uncommon and will get better.

After reading volumes about Silvertips and their "soft" tips, it's likely I had an unreasonable expectation as to the level of softness. It's hard to gauge these things from descriptors utilized in an online forum.

If lumping all brush types together (Boar, Horse, Badger, Synthetic) on a scale, "soft" wouldn't be the term I would use to describe the tips of the brush. I would call Plissoft tips soft. I'm not sure what I would call the tips of the 2-band Shavemac for comparison purposes. Now, in the world of badgers compared to other badgers, maybe it is very "soft" in that respect, which would be an accurate statement. I just don't have vast amounts of badgers in my hands to do a comparison, including "scritchy" vs. "not so scritchy" variants.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll end up being a fan of it after some time. Hopefully. Otherwise, someone will get a nice brush off of the BST.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess, when compared to other "badger" brushes, many may construe it as being "soft", especially when compared to other "badger" brushes, and for those that are primarily used to using badgers.

However, I personally wouldn't call it "soft" from an objective standpoint, especially as it compares to my synthetics. I know, I shouldn't compare them to the softness of a synthetic. However, that's the comparative platform I have available, in addition to the one other Finest badger I have from Stirling, which, right now, I would actually consider softer. Again, I'm still "breaking in" the Shavemac. From what's been written, it's not uncommon and will get better.

After reading volumes about Silvertips and their "soft" tips, it's likely I had an unreasonable expectation as to the level of softness. It's hard to gauge these things from descriptors utilized in an online forum.

If lumping all brush types together (Boar, Horse, Badger, Synthetic) on a scale, "soft" wouldn't be the term I would use to describe the tips of the brush. I would call Plissoft tips soft. I'm not sure what I would call the tips of the 2-band Shavemac for comparison purposes. Now, in the world of badgers compared to other badgers, maybe it is very "soft" in that respect, which would be an accurate statement. I just don't have vast amounts of badgers in my hands to do a comparison, including "scritchy" vs. "not so scritchy" variants.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll end up being a fan of it after some time. Hopefully. Otherwise, someone will get a nice brush off of the BST.
If you want a soft not scritchy badger from a day one and now break in needed, just presoaking, get Fanchurian badger from Grizzly Bay

That is really strange...I've had a dozen or more of the Shavemac/Thater 2-band silvertip and none have ever been scritchy. Especially with the size you mentioned, it should have backbone but be very soft. As others have said, try soaking in some hot water for a few minutes and make a few test lathers in your palm.

When the brush is dry, if you look up close are the ends of the hair curled a tiny bit or no?

This is an old thread that I am posting in because this was one of the threads which were helpful to cause me to buy a 24mm shavemac 2 band brush. My first time using it and I am pleased to report that it may well be the softest brush of any kind that I have used to date. My caveat is I have a much smaller brush collection than most people here I suspect but I found a Simpson chubby for instance to be less soft from my recollection and not a direct side by side comparison.

Very good prices and service from gifts and care who even upgraded my shipping to FedEx at no extra charge due to the amount I spent.

Top Bottom