What's new

Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip or 2-Band D01 Silvertip?

Gentlemen, could you answer some questions about the Shavemac?

1- Shavemac brushes have knot sizes exactly as stated, like, is 24mm exactly 24mm or would it be 26mm?
I ask this because my 24mm yaqi is actually 28.5mm.

2- what is the difference between 2-band silvertip and 2-band D01 silvertip?
which one is softer near zero scratching, no exfoliation?

3- for those who make facial foam exclusively, 22/48 is a good measure for 2-Band Silvertip Fan considering that my favorite cotton swab is the Semogue 830 ?

E8B43F1B-9555-42BC-8F71-30126BC57F28.jpeg

2Band bulb, D01 2Band bulb, 2Band fan, Pure fan

This has been covered a couple of times.
Shavemac gives the size from the very bottom of the knot but once it exits the handle it has already gained 1-1.5mm. The loft is given from the visible part only.
D01 is thick hair with tremendous backbone and scrub but - for me - no scritch.

22/48 could be closer to 24/48 visible and the classic 1:2 ratio.
The Beagle (yellow one) is a nominal 22mm brush, the others are 24mm.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Gentlemen, could you answer some questions about the Shavemac?

1- Shavemac brushes have knot sizes exactly as stated, like, is 24mm exactly 24mm or would it be 26mm?
I ask this because my 24mm yaqi is actually 28.5mm.

2- what is the difference between 2-band silvertip and 2-band D01 silvertip?
which one is softer near zero scratching, no exfoliation?

3- for those who make facial foam exclusively, 22/48 is a good measure for 2-Band Silvertip Fan considering that my favorite cotton swab is the Semogue 830 ?
1. they are about 1-1.5 mm larger than the nominal value - Shavemac is pretty consistent in regards to sizing
2. D01 is a thick stemmed hair, thus has a huge backbone, lots of scrub, but is not scritchy. The two-band silvertip is soft and not scritchy/scratchy - great hair choice
3. generally, mid size (24/26) I go with a 1:2 ratio, smaller knots, go up to 1:2.1, larger go shorter. 22/48 ordered will give you something like 23 with 48 mm loft, so this is perfect.

View attachment 1357005
2Band bulb, D01 2Band bulb, 2Band fan, Pure fan

This has been covered a couple of times.
Shavemac gives the size from the very bottom of the knot but once it exits the handle it has already gained 1-1.5mm. The loft is given from the visible part only.
D01 is thick hair with tremendous backbone and scrub but - for me - no scritch.

22/48 could be closer to 24/48 visible and the classic 1:2 ratio.
The Beagle (yellow one) is a nominal 22mm brush, the others are 24mm.

Lovely line-up!! Congratulations on some great brushes!! :a29:

The Shavemac beagles (2-band in both fan and bulb shape) are favorites around here! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

I face-lather exclusively and would not like anything with more backbone.

D01 is a brush in my collection. If you want backbone this is the way to go. But if you also want soft ,with back bone this is not the one. Its not scritty its just not soft.

I find i enjoy a fan shape more than the bulb. I just wish i had figured this out before buying my Shavmac

I have D01 in 3 band and the 2 band badger. I find the 2 band badger very luxurious, but the D01 works better with a stubborn soap.

I cannot imagine a D01. The 2 band shavemacs have plenty enough backbone. I've never experienced a D01 and based on my experience with his 2 banders i have zero desire to try one. For me, the 24 mm fan is perfect for face lathering and the 22 mm is great too, maybe just a hair on the small side.

I've made brushes with all of Shavemacs hair types. If I were to make another it would be a DO1 in ST and probably a flat top.

I keep thinking I should try another hair type from Shavemac. Problem is, I love my 26 & 28mms so much, I have hard time bypassing the DO1 2bands in the configurator ;)

How scratchy is pure badger compared to silvertip? I have an Omega 31064 boar that I bought first. And I have a Parker silvertip that I bought this year. Would pure badger be comparable to boar?

Top Bottom