What's new

Shavemac 2 band silvertip break in

So I compared 3 brushes this week. A 24mm bulb Shavemac, a 24mm fan Shavemac and a 26mm Bulb (Brad Sears). The Sears is much softer, followed by the 24 fan (which splays wonderfully) and then the 24 bulb (which is my all time favorite). So to say it’s prickly I can’t but I can say for me, it is more pronounced and apparent that I get some exfoliating and scrubbing experience.

I like them all a lot.

YMMV for sure, but I think it is fair to come up with some generalizations:
__ two-bands are just more prickly that 3-band silvertips, and also more prickly than boars (I think, certainly broken-in boars. My most extensive experience is with boars, and I may be biased in favor of (good quality) boars). If you generally prefer super-soft and non-prickly brushes, 2-bands may just not be for you.
__ I find that my taste for shaving gear changes regularly. On a given day, I may prefer a soft 3-band silvertip, or a softer boar. On a different day, I will go with a more prickly and scrubby 2-band or boar. So it is with all my other shaving equipment. I usually listen to music on the radio while shaving, it's exactly the same thing: one day its Jazz, the next day it is classical ... one day its "modern" symphonic, on another its baroque champer ... etc. There is not one thing I could call "my favourite", at least not in the singular ... I suspect most shavers feel this way. Also in regard to 2-bands.

As for two-bands, I presently own three:
+ a Shavemac custom D01 silvertip 2-band, 25/52 mm fan
+ a Maseto finest 2-band, 26/52 .. fan
+ a Semogue SOC finest 2-band, 24/53 mm fan

The are all more or less equally dense, and equally "prickly". The first two are three years old by now, the last ca 2 years old. All have been used enough to be enough "broken in" to feel it. Bottom line, they all still feel somewhat "prickly".

What matters more to me however, and the reason I keep using my 2-bands, is that they are all incredibly dense. The feeling of dense-ness stands out to me more than that of "prickly-ness", and it is this denseness which I think is the real quality that sets two-bands apart in a class of their own (apart from great looks).

Last edited:
I have a Simpson 2 band silvertip and there isn't a hint of prickliness. The three band super, however, far more prickly, far more scritch, but not unenjoyable- just a different plush feeling all around.

The 2 shavemacs in 2 band that i have are soft when i use very light pressure, but the feeling changes quite a bit when pressing- the hairs have a rough wiry feel. If i had to get another brush from Shavemac it likely won't be a 2 band.

YMMV for sure, but I think it is fair to come up with some generalizations:
__ two-bands are just more prickly that 3-band silvertips, and also more prickly than boars (I think, certainly broken-in boars. My most extensive experience is with boars, and I may be biased in favor of (good quality) boars). If you generally prefer super-soft and non-prickly brushes, 2-bands may just not be for you.
__ I find that my taste for shaving gear changes regularly. On a given day, I may prefer a soft 3-band silvertip, or a softer boar. On a different day, I will go with a more prickly and scrubby 2-band or boar. So it is with all my other shaving equipment. I usually listen to music on the radio while shaving, it's exactly the same thing: one day its Jazz, the next day it is classical ... one day its "modern" symphonic, on another its baroque champer ... etc. There is not one thing I could call "my favourite", at least not in the singular ... I suspect most shavers feel this way. Also in regard to 2-bands.

As for two-bands, I presently own three:
+ a Shavemac custom D01 silvertip 2-band, 25/52 mm fan
+ a Maseto finest 2-band, 26/52 .. fan
+ a Semogue SOC finest 2-band, 24/53 mm fan

The are all more or less equally dense, and equally "prickly". The first two are three years old by now, the last ca 2 years old. All have been used enough to be enough "broken in" to feel it. Bottom line, they all still feel somewhat "prickly".

What matters more to me however, and the reason I keep using my 2-bands, is that they are all incredibly dense. The feeling of dense-ness stands out to me more than that of "prickly-ness", and it is this denseness which I think is the real quality that sets two-bands apart in a class of their own (apart from great looks).
My experience with two band badger knots is quite different from yours. It may be that we use the brushes differently, it may be that we experience the sensation of the brush on our face differently, or it may be that the particular knot we used is very different despite being from the same vendor. I sold my Shavemac 2 band silvertip because it was too prickly, but I still own the following 2 band knots: Yaqi 26 mm Moka, Yaqi 22 mm Ever Helpful, Maggard 22 mm two band, Maggard 24 mm SHD two band. Although there are differences between those knots with regard to density and backbone, none of them were prickly like the Shavemac. I have a Zenith Manchurian, which is perhaps a variety of two band brush, and it is more prickly than those others but only slightly so. The Shavemac was the only one I found to be unpleasant to use.

IMG_0073.jpg

I recently got a two-band bulb 24mm knot. It's not the softest hair and much closer to D01 than I imagined it would be. However, my favourite Semogue two-band was very similar new and absolutely needed breaking in. I nearly sold it at one point but suddenly it turned way softer without affecting the backbone. It did take alot of shaves to get to that point.

I have a Chubby in best that is way softer than the Shavemac new but no backbone to speak of at all.

So don't give up.

Some two-bands need time. I have a bunch of boars so used to breaking in brushes.

I love the bulb shape.

In the production of badger knots, invariably a few of the hairs will get inverted. The darker ends are not as soft as the light-colored ends. My skin is so sensitive that those dark colored tips feel like hypodermic needles when they contact my face.

The only badger brush I have ever purchased that did not do that was a Maggard SHD knot with gel tips.

With all my my badger brushes, whether 2-nand or 3-band, I examine the knots closely, using a magnifying glass if necessary, to find each and every dark-colored tip that reaches to the canopy of the knot. Take a pair of tweezers and pluck out all of the offending hairs. Just be careful not go grab any of the light-colored hairs when you do this. Then try touching the brush to your face and see if you feel any prickliness. If so, go back and hunt down any dark colored hairs you missed. Once all the dark hairs are eliminated, the prickliness should be gone.

In the production of badger knots, invariably a few of the hairs will get inverted. The darker ends are not as soft as the light-colored ends. My skin is so sensitive that those dark colored tips feel like hypodermic needles when they contact my face.

The only badger brush I have ever purchased that did not do that was a Maggard SHD knot with gel tips.

With all my my badger brushes, whether 2-nand or 3-band, I examine the knots closely, using a magnifying glass if necessary, to find each and every dark-colored tip that reaches to the canopy of the knot. Take a pair of tweezers and pluck out all of the offending hairs. Just be careful not go grab any of the light-colored hairs when you do this. Then try touching the brush to your face and see if you feel any prickliness. If so, go back and hunt down any dark colored hairs you missed. Once all the dark hairs are eliminated, the prickliness should be gone.
A few rouge hair can certainly effect the feel of a brush. I have plucked a few out of most of my brushes and have never regretted it.

I must be the odd one out on the Shavemac two band. Mine is perfect. No scritch or prickle whatsoever. The Shavemac three band I have is softer but with less backbone. Both are great brushes. Both in 24mm bulb.

I always face lather. My Shavemac 2 band has become the only brush I use. At first I thought it was slightly prickly, but I quickly got used to the firmness and now prefer it over my 2 other brushes which are Simpson Best Badgers.

Top Bottom