What's new

Shaved 17 Barbers

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great ad, thanks for sharing. Most blades that I use would not last 17 shaves.

Can't do that now. If one of those barbers had Hepatitis B, C, or HIV, the ones afterwards would have gotten infected.

I have a few of those left and they were a fine blade. They were their penultimate blade right before their Schick Plus Platinum which was their "swan song" of the Golden Age.

Do your blades last this long?
Many blades would last that long (and much longer) if the shaves were performed consecutively in a single day. It's not so much the cutting of the hair that appreciably dulls the blade. It's the growth of corrosion or rust during the slow drying off period that is the principal culprit. Blade life can be substantially extended by merely patting dry the blade immediately after use. Some users even finish with a blow-dryer to ensure no moisture remains. I think there is a thread about it here...somewhere. Similarly, new blades will stay sharp almost indefinitely if stored in sufficiently dry conditions.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
What else is significant, is none of those fellas look like they have light, soft beards. You can see the blade got a workout.

At least Schick had the candour to quote the number of shaves their blades were capable of. Gillette durst not...for the longest time, and then decades later begrudgingly mumbled something or other...

Why would Gillette when you can't even get two people on this forum to agree on how long a blade lasts??!!

Why would Gillette when you can't even get two people on this forum to agree on how long a blade lasts??!!
Gillette was pressured in 2012 to finally come clean about blade life and did so in a commercial featuring Brandon Quinn, claiming the blades could last up to five weeks. With the sluggish economy at the time, Gillette needed to emphasize the value of their blades. Gillette blade costs was well above industry averages at the time, significantly higher than Schick and others. Their losses also came at the vanguard of the retro-razor craze, as well as the dollar-shave clubs. The new shaving culture as evidenced by such forums as Badger & Blade, were cited as examples of Gillette's woes at the time. So, they finally stated how long their blades would last! But they didn't want to. They had been riding a wave of profitability by users disposing of blades sooner than they needed to, and they didn't want to upset the apple cart!

Top Bottom